Whackos Running Cyclingnews?

Old November 20th 08, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

Default Whackos Running Cyclingnews?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I can't find it now, but I remember reading of a study that found
ESLers, even from different first languages, could generally understand
each other better than they could understand native English speakers.

It's true. I am the only native english speaker at work and have been
told time and again that my english is the hardest to understand. I have
been getting that compliment less and less over the years so I guess
that means that I'm now speaking like an ESLer. Less mumbling, more
annunciation of spaces, simpler language (but no mistakes!).
Old November 20th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Sandy wrote:
Is there an analogue which suggests that any enthusiast may hold down a
job he likes without having basic skills?

If (s)he's Republican?

Old November 20th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I can't find it now, but I remember reading of a study that found
ESLers, even from different first languages, could generally
understand each other better than they could understand native
English speakers.

Not a study, but an anecdote:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...68d09c945164e1

Old November 20th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Tom Kunich wrote:
The dictionary tells us to hyphenate outside of syllables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

Old November 20th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Sandy wrote:
Is there an analogue which suggests that any enthusiast may hold down a
job he likes without having basic skills?

Robert Chung wrote:
If (s)he's Republican?

Doesn't shooting wolves from a helicopter count as a basic skill ?

Old November 20th 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
Only because I proofread it (after publication). Jeff must have really
hated my incessant and nagging emails with small corrections. Mostly
spelling errors in Zoetemelk and some details in 1988 Giro results.

Hopefully you didn't try to persuade him Hampsten didn't win that stage
over the Gavia.
Old November 20th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Laura W

On Nov 19, 7:29 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
When Jeff was working on that stuff it was reasonably accurate.

Only because I proofread it (after publication). Jeff must have really
hated my incessant and nagging emails with small corrections. Mostly
spelling errors in Zoetemelk and some details in 1988 Giro results.

Corrections are always welcome, and I'm glad this article got some
attention here even if it is for the wrong reasons. I just hope Bobby
will write another column after this. Sure, there were a couple odd
sentence structures and typos in the story, but I don't think it
warranted such vitriol. After all, the Guardian's interview with LANCE
said he tested positive for EPO and shrugged it off as saddle sore
cream. Ooops.

Tom's post reminds me of one particularly hateful email I got about a
tech story - they guy went off about how bad CN's editing is and
ranted and raved, and refused to reveal the error he was talking
about. Turns out it was a small inconsistency in a product name
between the article and the photo captions but that what he was really
****ed off about was that he'd applied for one of our jobs and was
never contacted for an interview. Maybe Tom was looking for a career
change?
Old November 20th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Laura W" wrote in message

Corrections are always welcome, and I'm glad this article got some
attention here even if it is for the wrong reasons. I just hope Bobby
will write another column after this. Sure, there were a couple odd
sentence structures and typos in the story, but I don't think it
warranted such vitriol. After all, the Guardian's interview with LANCE
said he tested positive for EPO and shrugged it off as saddle sore
cream. Ooops.

Excuse me? Most authors such as Bobby can't spell well. It is the JOB OF THE
EDITOR to correct those minor errors.

I do find it interesting that you pawn it off on Bobby as if it was his job
to do the editors job.

Tom's post reminds me of one particularly hateful email I got about a
tech story - they guy went off about how bad CN's editing is and
ranted and raved, and refused to reveal the error he was talking
about.

And I also find it interesting that you imply that Bobby's article has
errors that are difficult to find.

Maybe Tom was looking for a career change?

Is that an offer?

Old November 20th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
. com...
Tom Kunich wrote:
The dictionary tells us to hyphenate outside of syllables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen

If there's one thing you can count on it is that there will always be
arguments from Munro about anything.

Psst - http://alias-i.com/lingpipe/demos/tu...n/read-me.html

"Exactly where the boundaries go for hyphenation and syllabification is
another matter. There are no "official" definitions of syllables or hyphens.
Hyphenation may vary by dictionary or publishing standard (e.g. The Chicago
Manual of Style). Hyphenation tends to follow both the word form and the
syllabification."

Now you may go back to your homosexual activities.

Old November 20th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Nov 19, 11:41*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
Why is it that the editors of Cyclingnews don't seem able to actually edit?

Spelling and misused words and completely incorrect sentences are quite
common. And most of them have to be pretty bad if I notice them since I am
attuned to Internet-ese and tend to overlook spelling, punctuation, and
structural errors because they're so common on the groups.

But just read this:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features....8/bobbyjulich_...

Bobby Julich is certainly someone whose point of view will be of interest..
So how is it that there are so many errors in his article? Can Cyclingnews
really believe that they can publish an author's submission without
editorial inspection? Or is it that the editorial staff don't know how to
write?

What I notice most on CyclingNews is literal or bizarre translations
from articles in other languages, e.g.,

In any case, Sastre has great confidence in his team, a "young,
homogenic and competitive squad,"

from today's news http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...v08/nov20news2

-ilan

Cyclingnews has its head up its ass Kurgan Gringioni Racing 14 July 31st 07 01:31 AM
cyclingnews staff? Mark Fennell Racing 2 October 27th 06 01:37 AM
Cyclingnews is the best!!! FOCN Racing 0 August 23rd 06 12:54 AM