Slayin' it

Old June 1st 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Slayin' it

On May 31, 8:18*pm, wrote:
On May 31, 7:59*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:

Tom Kunich wrote:
Then you want to place a bet that a 6'4" tall guy is going to be a world
class climbing champion and Tour winner?

Indurain was/is 6'2", 172 lbs.

Axel Merckx is 6' 3 1/2", racing weight of 169.

Alexi Grewal was 6'2, 150 lbs.

The Trek/Livestrong website has Phinney as 6'4", *(and it surprised me)
180 lbs.

I'll bet he can lean out some if need be.

Besides, what if he becomes just a totally badass classics rider like
Bettini? Does that deem him a failure?

Speaking of classics riders, Wiki lists Tom Boonen at exactly 6'4",
180#.

Boonen's web site states a half inch shorter, and 176 lbs.

Old June 1st 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Not one mother ****er mentioned the obvious choice....

Michael Rogers. U19 Pursuit and 3x world TT champion. 6'1" 170

Kunich... are you Magilla? He has Phinney-envy.
Old June 1st 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
Then you want to place a bet that a 6'4" tall guy is going to be a world
class climbing champion and Tour winner?

Indurain was/is 6'2", 172 lbs.

Axel Merckx is 6' 3 1/2", racing weight of 169.

Alexi Grewal was 6'2, 150 lbs.

The Trek/Livestrong website has Phinney as 6'4", (and it surprised me)
180 lbs.

I'll bet he can lean out some if need be.

Besides, what if he becomes just a totally badass classics rider like
Bettini? Does that deem him a failure?

Carl, I'M NOT CRITICIZING TAYLOR PHINNEY!!! I'm saying that the races he's
done do not definitely place him among the greatest racers that ever lived.
Somehow that seems offensive to Scott which I find strange.

Old June 1st 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On May 31, 4:53*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

This is just nuts. *First, wins Jr World TT. *Follows it up with World
Cup pursuit wins, a ride in the Olympics, AND World Championship
pursuit title. *National pursuit and kilo titles. *Now he goes and
pulls off the U23 Paris Roubaix win. *What's next for Mini Phinney? *I
mean, he's only 18!! *When he figures out what he's really best at,
it's gonna be amazing.

Not really. Let's remember that in his age category he isn't meeting the
best possible racers. So a good racer looks like a spectacular racer.

****in' priceless. This might be as good as John Hansen assuming
Shaun Wallace hadn't ever ridden a fixed gear.

-rj
Old June 1st 09, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On May 31, 4:18*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:
Howard Kveck wrote:
In article ,
*Scott wrote:

On May 31, 3:53 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

This is just nuts. *First, wins Jr World TT. *Follows it up with World
Cup pursuit wins, a ride in the Olympics, AND World Championship
pursuit title. *National pursuit and kilo titles. *Now he goes and
pulls off the U23 Paris Roubaix win. *What's next for Mini Phinney? *I
mean, he's only 18!! *When he figures out what he's really best at,
it's gonna be amazing.
Not really. Let's remember that in his age category he isn't meeting the
best possible racers. So a good racer looks like a spectacular racer.
As Bubba's Momma would say, "boy, is you stupid?"

Are you suggesting for a moment that the competitors at the various
track world cups or track world championships or perhaps the Olympics,
weren't the best possible racers??? *The only race I mentioned that
was "age-graded" was the Espoirs Paris Roubaix, and it's damn sure not
like he's racing against a bunch of slouches three or four years his
junior. *He's in his first year in the "espoirs" and he's doing pretty
damn well against some of the top competitors four to five years his
senior. *Besides, look at the list of previous winners and tell us
sincerely that winning that race doesn't mean something.

Geez, Tom, you must really be looking to start an argument or you are
clinically frikkin stupid to make that comment.

* *Does it have to be one or the other? Anyway, I think you're right about Phinney -
he does seem to have a lot of power. The more different kinds of races he gets to do,
the more he'll learn about what he's really good at and focus on those. But I'll also
bet that he'll work at improving the things he wasn't as good at. I think Carl's
correct about his racecraft but that comes with time and riding against good
competitors.

Considering that his engine may have compensated, he may have to unlearn
some habits.

Dumbass -

I agree.

It's most natural to learn the good tactics when you don't have the
best motor, then learning how to read and react in a race is the only
way to succeed.

LANCE is an example of the developing of questionable habits. He said
that he regretted using the tactic of going off the front and lapping
the field in US criteriums early in his career because he never
learned the tactical side of sprinting. It cost him in several two-up
situations at the TdF, Liege-Bastogne-Liege and Amstel Gold. Dude used
the wrong tactics each time.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old June 1st 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.[_2_]

On May 31, 3:26*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Who was the last great track star that really shown in road racing?

Kunich, we know you're an idiot, but it's nice of you to reinforce
that knowledge.

Evgeni Berzin. Viatcheslav Ekimov. Leontien Van Moorsel.

Old June 1st 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 31, 9:35*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

I'm saying that the races he's
done do not definitely place him among the greatest racers that ever lived.
Somehow that seems offensive to Scott which I find strange.

How your skull hasn't exploded is beyond me. Maybe if Chris Horner
told you you were an idiot you'd believe it. Anyone have his phone
number?

Old June 1st 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

Tom Kunich wrote:
Then you want to place a bet that a 6'4" tall guy is going to be a world
class climbing champion and Tour winner?

Indurain was/is 6'2", 172 lbs.

Axel Merckx is 6' 3 1/2", racing weight of 169.

Alexi Grewal was 6'2, 150 lbs.

The Trek/Livestrong website has Phinney as 6'4", *(and it surprised me)
180 lbs.

I'll bet he can lean out some if need be.

Besides, what if he becomes just a totally badass classics rider like
Bettini? Does that deem him a failure?

Carl, I'M NOT CRITICIZING TAYLOR PHINNEY!!! I'm saying that the races he's
done do not definitely place him among the greatest racers that ever lived.
Somehow that seems offensive to Scott which I find strange.

I'm not offended. I'm not even shocked. It just seems so damn
typical that someone (in this case, me) will make a comment about a
racer and YOU come back with some dumbass comment intended to diminish
his/her achievements, then you try to backtrack/weasel your way out of
the ****storm you started. What you said was definitely critical, no
matter how large you can make the font for your all-caps declaration
that you weren't critical. If you weren't being critical, you
could've done one of two things: express some level of appreciation
for or acknowledgement of his accomplishments (not likely) or just not
post anything at all (yeah, right, like that's gonna happen).

For the record, I did not say a damn thing about him being among the
greatest racers that ever lived. I said he's done some pretty amazing
things for an 18 year old and that I'm curious as to what the future
has in store for him.
Old June 1st 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RobertH

On May 31, 4:26 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

[...]

MiniPhinney's teenage career reminds a bit of LemonD's, only faster.
Old June 1st 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Scott" wrote in message

This is just nuts. *First, wins Jr World TT. *Follows it up with World
Cup pursuit wins, a ride in the Olympics, AND World Championship
pursuit title. *National pursuit and kilo titles. *Now he goes and
pulls off the U23 Paris Roubaix win. *What's next for Mini Phinney? *I
mean, he's only 18!! *When he figures out what he's really best at,
it's gonna be amazing.

Not really. Let's remember that in his age category he isn't meeting the
best possible racers. So a good racer looks like a spectacular racer.

****in' priceless. *This might be as good as John Hansen assuming
Shaun Wallace hadn't ever ridden a fixed gear.

-rj

You can't make that comparison. At that point in John Hansen's
career, he hadn't ever competed against as big an idiot as
Tom Kunich. In fact, if you look at their subsequent careers,
it's clear that Hansen, despite his youthful promise, never had
the talent or motivation to be memorialized as the
campionissimo of RBR idiocy. In pro cycling one can always
debate - Merckx or Coppi, van Looy or de Vlaeminck? But
in RBR, there can be only one.

Ben