Steel Road frames

Old April 10th 05, 08:11 AM
firewolf65

Default Steel Road frames

Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

I'm a big guy and would like to find one, perhaps a fixed gear setup. if
not, then to compliment my Bottecchia road that I built 15 years ago. Still
have the original Shimano 600 works on it, did just have to replace the
front brake after a crash.

Old April 10th 05, 08:46 PM
catzz66

firewolf65 wrote:
Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

I'm a big guy and would like to find one, perhaps a fixed gear setup. if
not, then to compliment my Bottecchia road that I built 15 years ago. Still
have the original Shimano 600 works on it, did just have to replace the
front brake after a crash.

What'd be wrong about looking for a 20+ year old steel frame bike and
doing it yourself? My first bike after a long lapse from riding was a
12 speed Fuji. It is in otherwise great shape, but I wanted modern
brakes and shifters. I plan to try and make it a single speed, if possible.
Old April 10th 05, 08:58 PM
Earl Bollinger

"firewolf65" wrote in message
Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

I'm a big guy and would like to find one, perhaps a fixed gear setup. if
not, then to compliment my Bottecchia road that I built 15 years ago.
Still have the original Shimano 600 works on it, did just have to replace
the front brake after a crash.

Yeah, they still have steel framed bikes for sale new.
Check with your LBS, there are many to choose from.
A lot of people still like the feel of a steel frame bike over aluminum or
carbon fibre.
But some of the newest carbon fibre and or aluminum and carbon fibre
frames are really good too nowadays.

Old April 11th 05, 12:43 AM
Gooserider

"firewolf65" wrote in message
Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

Yes, there are lots of builders doing steel frames. If you check eBay you
can find tons of used frames, and even complete bikes for decent prices.
Check your LBS also.

Old April 11th 05, 04:14 PM
Andy M-S

Take a look at www.kogswell.com. Nice frames, dirt cheap. I've been
riding a Model D for the last year (~4-5,000 miles) and I'm really
*really* pleased with it.

Old April 11th 05, 06:29 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"firewolf65" wrote in message
Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

rivbike.com.

Old April 12th 05, 04:16 AM
Blair P. Houghton

firewolf65 wrote:
Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

I'm a big guy and would like to find one, perhaps a fixed gear setup. if
not, then to compliment my Bottecchia road that I built 15 years ago. Still
have the original Shimano 600 works on it, did just have to replace the
front brake after a crash.

Serotta does, iirc.

--Blair
"But it might be cheaper just
to get your bones set after
your aluminum frame breaks..."
Old April 12th 05, 04:54 AM
Chris Neary

Does anyone still make a once steel or cromoly road frame.

I'm a big guy and would like to find one, perhaps a fixed gear setup. if
not, then to compliment my Bottecchia road that I built 15 years ago. Still
have the original Shimano 600 works on it, did just have to replace the
front brake after a crash.

A friend rides a Waterford fixed gear he had them build.

REF: http://www.waterfordbikes.com/2005/index.php

Good luck,

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old April 12th 05, 03:59 PM
bryanska

Try Surly.

www.surlybikes.com

Minneapolis-based, and they do amazing things with steel frames only. I
like the Cross-Check.