Semi-OT--Biking To Nowhere

Old August 17th 05, 11:10 AM
B. Lafferty

Default Semi-OT--Biking To Nowhere

August 17, 2005
Biking Toward Nowhere
By MAUREEN DOWD
How could President Bush be cavorting around on a long vacation with
American troops struggling with a spiraling crisis in Iraq?

Wasn't he worried that his vacation activities might send a frivolous signal
at a time when he had put so many young Americans in harm's way?

"I'm determined that life goes on," Mr. Bush said stubbornly.

That wasn't the son, believe it or not. It was the father - 15 years ago. I
was in Kennebunkport then to cover the first President Bush's frenetic
attempts to relax while reporters were pressing him about how he could be
taking a month to play around when he had started sending American troops to
the Persian Gulf only three days before.

On Saturday, the current President Bush was pressed about how he could be
taking five weeks to ride bikes and nap and fish and clear brush even though
his occupation of Iraq had become a fiasco. "I think it's also important for
me to go on with my life," W. said, "to keep a balanced life."

Pressed about how he could ride his bike while refusing to see a grieving
mom of a dead soldier who's camped outside his ranch, he added: "So I'm
mindful of what goes on around me. On the other hand, I'm also mindful that
I've got a life to live and will do so."

Ah, the insensitivity of reporters who ask the President Bushes how they can
expect to deal with Middle East fighting while they're off fishing.

The first President Bush told us that he kept a telephone in his golf cart
and his cigarette boat so he could easily stay on top of Saddam's invasion
of Kuwait. But at least he seemed worried that he was sending the wrong
signal, as his boating and golfing was juxtaposed on the news with footage
of the frightened families of troops leaving for the Middle East.

"I just don't like taking questions on serious matters on my vacation," the
usually good-natured Bush senior barked at reporters on the golf course. "So
I hope you'll understand if I, when I'm recreating, will recreate." His
hot-tempered oldest son, who was golfing with his father that day, was even
more irritated. "Hey! Hey!" W. snapped at reporters asking questions on the
first tee. "Can't you wait until we finish hitting, at least?"

Junior always had his priorities straight.

As W.'s neighbors get in scraps with the antiwar forces coalescing around
the ranch; as the Pentagon tries to rustle up updated armor for our
soldiers, who are still sitting ducks in the third year of the war; as the
Iraqi police we train keep getting blown up by terrorists, who come right
back every time U.S. troops beat them up; as Shiites working on the Iraqi
constitution conspire with Iran about turning Iraq into an Islamic state
that represses women; and as Iraq hurtles toward a possible civil war, W.
seems far more oblivious than his father was with his Persian Gulf crisis.

This president is in a truly scary place in Iraq. Americans can't get out,
or they risk turning the country into a terrorist haven that will make the
old Afghanistan look like Cipriani's. Yet his war, which has not
accomplished any of its purposes, swallows ever more American lives and
inflames ever more Muslim hearts as W. reads a book about the history of
salt and looks forward to his biking date with Lance Armstrong on Saturday.

The son wanted to go into Iraq to best his daddy in the history books, by
finishing what Bush senior started. He swept aside the warnings of Brent
Scowcroft and Colin Powell and didn't bother to ask his father's advice. Now
he is caught in the very trap his father said he feared: that America would
get bogged down as "an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land," facing a
possibly "barren" outcome.

It turns out that the people of Iraq have ethnic and religious identities,
not a national identity. Shiites and Kurds want to suppress the Sunnis who
once repressed them and break off into their own states, smashing the Bush
model kitchen of democracy.

At long last, a senior Bush official admits that administration officials
can no longer cling to their own version of reality. "We are in a process of
absorbing the factors of the situation we're in and shedding the unreality
that dominated at the beginning," the official told The Washington Post.

They had better start absorbing and shedding a lot faster, before many more
American kids die to create a pawn of Iran. And they had better tell the Boy
in the Bubble, who continues to dwell in delusion, hailing the fights and
delays on the Iraqi constitution as "a tribute to democracy."

The president's pedaling as fast as he can, but he's going nowhere.

E-mail:

Old August 17th 05, 02:39 PM
pacqueman

I'm fine with GW's mtn biking as long as he wears a helmet. Maybe he
could get a set of the new and improved ceramic body army too.

Old August 17th 05, 03:24 PM
Tim Lines

pacqueman wrote:
I'm fine with GW's mtn biking as long as he wears a helmet. Maybe he
could get a set of the new and improved ceramic body army too.

Hitler never wore a bicycle helmet. Idi Amin never wore a bicycle
helmet. The Ayatollah Khomeini? Nope, not him either. President Bush
is not like them. He stands for freedom!
Old August 17th 05, 04:04 PM
B. Lafferty

"Tim Lines" wrote in message
news
President Bush is not like them. He stands for freedom!

Thanks for the humor. I needed that this morning.

Old August 17th 05, 04:31 PM
Donald Munro

Tim Lines wrote:
Hitler never wore a bicycle helmet. Idi Amin never wore a bicycle
helmet. The Ayatollah Khomeini? Nope, not him either. President Bush
is not like them. He stands for freedom!

So by your logic:
Bush wears a helmet * Everyone who isn't with Bush's war on terrorism is
against Bush - Everyone who opposes wearing helmets is against Bush -
Everyone who opposes helmets in The Triki Beltran thread is a terrorist

So when is the Dept. of Homeland Security going to arrest Kunich ?

Old August 17th 05, 05:02 PM
k.papai

Tour von Deutschland 2005
Cyclingnews.com results

Stage 3 - August 17: Bodenmais - Kufstein, 232 km

Results

1 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Lampre-Caffita 5.12.04
2 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Quick.Step
3 Sebastian Siedler (Ger) Wiesenhof
4 Luciano André Pagliarini (Bra) Liquigas - Bianchi
5 Baden Cooke (Aus) Française des Jeux
6 Roger Hammond (GBr) Discovery Channel
7 Sébastien Hinault (Fra) Crédit Agricole
8 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Française des Jeux

General classification after stage 3

1 Bram Tankink (Ned) Quickstep 14.04.51
2 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Quickstep 0.07
3 Jörg Jaksche (Ger) Liberty Seguros-Würth Team 0.17
4 Mauricio Alberto Ardila Cano (Col) Davitamon - Lotto 0.19
5 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 0.21
6 Alexandre Moos (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems 0.22
7 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Française des Jeux 0.23
8 Chris Horner (USA) Saunier Duval - Prodir

-Ken, now back to Laff.

Old August 17th 05, 05:53 PM
Robert Chung

"I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist
killers. Now watch this drive."

Old August 17th 05, 07:11 PM
Eric Hill

"Semi"?

-eric
Old August 18th 05, 01:12 AM
Bill C

B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

Brian, what did Clinton do in all the time after he was given these
reports?
http://www.judicialwatch.org/5504.shtml

Clinton State Department Documents Outlined bin Laden Threat to the
United States in Summer 1996

"Top Secret" Analysis Warned Clinton Administration

"[bin Laden] has Wherewithal to Strike U.S. Interests"

Are you NOW going to hammer Clinton for his complete and total
failures too? How about the rest of you?
Bill C

Old August 18th 05, 01:16 AM
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
[...]

It's pretty clear that the intelligence agencies didn't fail here. The
Clinton administration was on vacation for 4 years and did NOTHING,
including Richard Clark. Yet tons of you continue to solely blame Bush
and glorify Clinton. Doesn't work.
If anything Bush was guilty of continuing Clinton's lack of action
when he should've known better. It's not the Bush policy and inaction
that led to 9/11, but his continuation of the Clinton policy that did.
Bill C