Every man has a different future

Old January 3rd 20, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default Every man has a different future

On Fri, 03 Jan 2020 07:54:15 -0600, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/3/2020 4:42 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/01/2020 20.56, jbeattie wrote:

snip

My prediction is that $500 USD three-bolt triple cranks are the
next big thing.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-triple-crank/

Those and $300 USD handlebar bags with a plastic top for maps and
"cue sheet."
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-side-pockets/

I've purchased the exclusive rights to Cambio Corsa from
Campagnolo, which is the one-true shifting system.
https://tinyurl.com/tmcmuqy It is going to be huge again. No small
parts to break. Even people with small hands (and long arms) find it
easy to use. No broken cables or wires. You'll have to get a new
frame or at least those little cog-teeth drop-outs installed, but it
is the last bike you'll ever have to own.

boggle Wtf is that!?

It's 3 or 4 one-speed gears basically with a remote axle QR and a
remote forklike chain slider. Shifting is, uh, artful.
https://www.steel-vintage.com/blog/2...paris-roubaix/

Jay mentioned some of the clever aspects but pictures in link above
may be helpful.

In action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7rjurYxcNI

I've wanted to try one of those, looks like fun to try once. Looks like
a PITA to use when climbing.
Old January 3rd 20, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 14:04:14 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

650B = 584mm ISO
"27.5" = 584mm ISO

Ah, you spotted the point!
Old January 3rd 20, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 21:30:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

ISTM that a lot of bike fashion is no more logical than a lot of
women's shoe fashion.

Oh yeah.
Old January 4th 20, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 03/01/2020 16.08, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 3 January 2020 05:42:03 UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 02/01/2020 20.56, jbeattie wrote:

snip

My prediction is that $500 USD three-bolt triple cranks are the next
big thing.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-triple-crank/
Those and $300 USD handlebar bags with a plastic top for maps and
"cue sheet."
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-side-pockets/

I've purchased the exclusive rights to Cambio Corsa from Campagnolo,
which is the one-true shifting system. https://tinyurl.com/tmcmuqy It
is going to be huge again. No small parts to break. Even people with
small hands (and long arms) find it easy to use. No broken cables or
wires. You'll have to get a new frame or at least those little
cog-teeth drop-outs installed, but it is the last bike you'll ever
have to own.

boggle Wtf is that!?

Here are videos showing it in use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7rjurYxcNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZhSNdO_Zo

I shall add that to my list of interesting ways to commit suicide!

Otoh, for a SS with options it might be an idea. Probably wouldn't work
for fixies mind.

Old January 4th 20, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 7:04:33 PM UTC, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 11:39:30 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

As battery technology and run time improves I do think that E-bikes
will gain in popularity especially if the price drops substantially
for a quality E-bike, battery and replacement battery.

That trend is already happening in Minneapolis. I see e-bikes daily
now, and some of them are pretty good looking machines compared to the
first couple of generations. I think we'll continue to see more of that
over the next decade for the reasons you cite. They might even replace
internal combustion scooters to an extent.

Ageing populations are more likely to guarantee the survival of scooters, though my guess is they will be electric shopping scooters, not internal combustion. I discovered when I looked into geribikes about 10-12 years ago that old folk like being able to put both feet on the ground.

Andre Jute
Ergonomically grounded
Old January 11th 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

As battery technology and run time improves I do think that E-bikes
will gain in popularity especially if the price drops substantially
for a quality E-bike, battery and replacement battery.

That trend is already happening in Minneapolis. I see e-bikes daily
now, and some of them are pretty good looking machines compared to the
first couple of generations. I think we'll continue to see more of that
over the next decade for the reasons you cite. They might even replace
internal combustion scooters to an extent.

Ageing populations are more likely to guarantee the survival of scooters, though my guess is they will be electric shopping scooters, not internal combustion. I discovered when I looked into geribikes about 10-12 years ago that old folk like being able to put both feet on the ground.

Andre Jute
Ergonomically grounded

In Arizona it isn't unusual to see people driving around Golf Carts.
Old January 12th 20, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

As battery technology and run time improves I do think that E-bikes
will gain in popularity especially if the price drops substantially
for a quality E-bike, battery and replacement battery.

That trend is already happening in Minneapolis. I see e-bikes daily
now, and some of them are pretty good looking machines compared to the
first couple of generations. I think we'll continue to see more of that
over the next decade for the reasons you cite. They might even replace
internal combustion scooters to an extent.

I disagree. E-bikes are sort of, kind of exercise related. And given the USA is in the top two or three of fatness and laziness in the whole world, I do not see any "exercise" related concept growing much. 40% of the USA is obese. And the other 60% are not necessarily fit and trim. Most of them are just not obese enough to be officially considered obese. Fat people are not going to ride mopeds or whatever e-bikes are. Or do anything exercise related.

I live 3/4 mile from a big grocery store. My neighborhood is about 100 houses and another 50 townhouses a further 100 yards across the road. I've been walking to the grocery store 2-3 times a week for the past 11 years. In that time I doubt I have seen ten other people walking to the grocery store. 3/4 mile, perfectly flat walk. Sidewalks the whole way. Think that is fatness and laziness demonstrating itself?
Old January 12th 20, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Good Lord! Three quarters of a mile. Damn! That is over a thousand
yards... :-)

In mitigation I must admit to walking from 1 to 3 kilometers every
morning, before breakfast, as exercise :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 12th 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I had a friend back in t he 960s to 1980s who drove his car to the variety store that was sort of nearby. The distance? A whopping 523.5 FEET each way according to Google maps of that area. And that was flat with no hills at all. This was in Ontario, Canada. Some people just don't consider any other form of transportation other than their automobile.

Cheers
Old January 12th 20, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I look forward to the perfect pericycle, which I defines as a leaning tricicle, two wheels at the front, with an electric motor, crank forward design like the RANS, the seat only low enough to sit down on it from a standing position and put your feet flat on the ground -- people feel uncomfortable on reclining designs.

Andre Jute
It takes most deep thinkers on three years to arrive at the obvious

the future John Pitcock UK 63 February 1st 06 07:59 PM
Future DanDan Unicycling 1 July 30th 05 08:35 AM
Future darchibald Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 04:14 AM
Future jsm Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 03:56 AM
The future? SteveA Australia 19 June 19th 05 10:29 AM