Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave doppler radar.

Old January 17th 20, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bicycles, pedestrians, and cars detected by microwave doppler radar.

Autonomous vehicles, high end automobiles, and even some prototype
traffic signals, all use some form of radar to detect and identify
objects. The problem is that these have a less then perfect score
even under ideal conditions. I thought it might be of general
interest to see how the technology works and how far it has
progressed. Note that they only show the results of a side view of
the bicycle, with nothing shown for front and rear views.

Incidentally, you might consider building or buying a 77GHz corner
cube or spherical retroreflector so that you and your bicycle will be
more visible to vehicular radar. The common bicycle reflector would
work if the reflectors were metalized to reflect RF, and somewhat
larger (about 1 wavelength at 77GHz wide or 4mm) per cell.

"Algorithms to Antenna: Classifying Radar Micro-Doppler Signatures"
https://www.mwrf.com/technologies/systems/article/21120548/algorithms-to-antenna-classifying-radar-microdoppler-signatures
https://www.mathworks.com/help/phased/ref/backscatterbicyclist.html

"Wearable radar reflectors"
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20150029050

Soon, everyone will be wearing radar reflectors. After the initial
panic, fad, craze, and hype die out, they'll probably be made
mandatory as yet another safety device. You read it on RBT first.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 17th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 11:25:49 PM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Nostradamus Liebermann strikes again! -- AJ
Old January 17th 20, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 16 January 2020 18:25:49 UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I'd like something that'd make my bicycle look like a car so that I could get a coffee at a drive thru after the inside dinning is closed. Here they will NOT serve a bicyclist in a drive thru.

Cheers
Old January 17th 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/16/2020 9:52 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

+1
Yeah I hate that. When I was young I was refused service
(deposit paycheck) at a bank drive up window so I laid my
bike down, walked inside and closed out my account.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 17th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 6:25:49 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I've been noticing a lot more blinking side mirrors during my commute the past few years, as well as a number of drivers that have given me more space because of it.
Old January 17th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 3:25:49 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

These radars are so sensitive that you can pick up you waving an arm. So you don't have to worry about them picking up a moving bicycle.

Old January 17th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/17/2020 10:32 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
[...]

I don't think that mirror blinker has anything to do with your being on
a bicycle. That is, I don't think it means an electronic system has
detected you. Many cars have lights in their side mirrors that blink in
sync with the normal turn signals.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 17th 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:

:I don't think that mirror blinker has anything to do with your being on
:a bicycle. That is, I don't think it means an electronic system has
:detected you. Many cars have lights in their side mirrors that blink in
:sync with the normal turn signals.

My car, and lots of newer cars, have blindspot sensors that detect
something in the 'blindspot' beside and slightly behind the car. They
light up signals on the mirrors. If I turn the turn signal on, they
flash (and there's a beeper, if I try to change lanes, too). Both the
lighting up and flashing are visible to someone out side the car. I
see them come on other cars, when I ride past them when they're
stopped and I'm not.

--
sig 79
Old January 17th 20, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 5:55:38 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

You need more local regulation! https://bikeportland.org/2018/05/29/...e-users-282407

It is only for after-hours service, but a lot of drive through businesses have voluntarily extended it to all hours.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 17th 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 19:52:48 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I'd like something that'd make my bicycle look like a car so that I could get a coffee at a drive thru after the inside dinning is closed. Here they will NOT serve a bicyclist in a drive thru.

Cheers

No problem. A transponder will do that. Mounted on your bicycle, it
will receive the radar signals, and transmit a reply with some added
modulation to make your bicycle look like a car, truck, fire engine,
or brick wall. I'll call it "dial a reflection". Military radar does
some of that kind of spoofing.