Google maps

Old July 31st 05, 04:53 PM
Paul A. Steckler

Default Google maps

In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at

http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py

If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
your request there!

-- Paul

Old July 31st 05, 05:02 PM
Steve B.

"Paul A. Steckler" wrote in message
In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at

http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py

If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
your request there!

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

DB

Old July 31st 05, 05:14 PM
lowkey

"Paul A. Steckler" wrote in message
In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at

http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py

If you have the hardware requirements download google.earth. It is an
amazing satellite/database package that google.maps uses for the satellite
renderings. It is particularly aamazing if you are looking at well mapped
areas.

It is also a bit creepy if you stop to consider surveilance ssues.

If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
your request there!

Ya. I've been having a lot of fun with it. One peeve is the Kar-centric
nature. It assumes you will want to go via multi-lane mega-highway.
Understandable as all but us crazy cyclists probably do want that route but
annoying still.

It gets worse when I try to plot in non-road trails I use. Though there is
one odd road then ends in a vehicular dead end but continues as a navigable
trail then resumes as a vehicular road. Google.earth shows that road ending
but it still plots a route along the trail part.

--
'My pride is the only thing
that they can't take from me'

Old July 31st 05, 05:32 PM
BudMan

"Paul A. Steckler" wrote in message
In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at

http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py

If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
your request there!

-- Paul

Does your GPS actually make the bike route from Point A to B, or do you have
to ride it while carrying your GPS first? A week before I'm the designated
ride leader for our group I take my GPS on my bike and try to ride unique
routes. The next week I create the same route from my nav screen on the
GPS.

Old July 31st 05, 05:45 PM
SMS

Paul A. Steckler wrote:
In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at

http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py

If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
your request there!

There are a lot of errors on Google maps (just as there are on Yahoo
maps) regarding roads that they show that don't really exist. One of my
favorite ones to check is a favorite route into Point Reyes.

Wrong:

Yahoo: "http://tinylink.com/?yFRUtTBxhs"
Google: "http://tinylink.com/?kKNRbrRpy8"

Right:
Expedia: "http://tinylink.com/?gDgU0gvVYD"

There actually is bicycle access via a small opening in the fence, but
if there was ever vehicle access it was ended many decades ago. I'd be
really upset if I were a motorist and I went all the way up that road
and found that the map was wrong.
Old July 31st 05, 06:25 PM
Dave Stallard

Paul A. Steckler wrote:
In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing. After
all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?

I've been using it to scope out routes for awhile. As others have
pointed out, it is car-centric in its directions. It'd be nice to be
able to enter in your own directions and get the mileage for it. I've
used the "Sue and Paul" pedometer version as well, but it's painful to
keep drawing little straight-line approximations over segments of a long
route.

I have used Google Earth, but haven't found it as useful. I got very
excited at the possiblity of being able to "fly" favorite or prospective
routes, and see the elevation changes in 3D. Unfortunately, it's very
difficult to do that. You keep losing track of where you are. The
could modify it to have the map in one pane, and the 3D view in the other.

Dave
Old August 1st 05, 04:24 AM
Roger Zoul

:
: They're still working on the tool, and soliciting suggestions at
:
: http://www.google.com/support/maps/bin/request.py
:
: If you're interested in seeing bike routes on Google Maps, add
: your request there!

MS Streets and Trips works just as well for cycling (route planning), plus
you can plan car trips and see other stuff like places to eat, etc.

Old August 1st 05, 04:25 AM
Roger Zoul

Dave Stallard wrote:
: Paul A. Steckler wrote:
: In case you haven't tried it (and it'd be amazing if you hadn't),
: Google Maps (maps.google.com), is a superb on-line route planning
: tool. One thing I'd really like to see added is bike routing.
: After all, my hand-held GPS does it, so how hard can it be?
:
: I've been using it to scope out routes for awhile. As others have
: pointed out, it is car-centric in its directions. It'd be nice to
: be able to enter in your own directions and get the mileage for it.
: I've used the "Sue and Paul" pedometer version as well, but it's
: painful to keep drawing little straight-line approximations over
: segments of a long route.

I do it all the time in MS Streets and Trips. It doesn't take long even for
100-mile routes.

Old August 1st 05, 06:34 AM
Paul A. Steckler

"BudMan" wrote in message
Does your GPS actually make the bike route from Point A to B, or do you
have to ride it while carrying your GPS first? A week before I'm the
designated ride leader for our group I take my GPS on my bike and try to
ride unique routes. The next week I create the same route from my nav
screen on the GPS.

It actually calculates the bike route for me. I haven't used it much for
that purpose,
but the feature is there.

-- Paul