Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

Old July 8th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

On 7/7/2020 6:57 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 12:18:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/6/2020 11:31 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 20:25:24 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 7/6/2020 6:41 PM, John B. wrote:

But if one doesn't want to be bothered with mowing a lawn, then why
does one have a lawn?

That makes me curious about your area. Are the houses separated, as they
are in suburban America (as opposed to apartment buildings or row houses)?

If so, what's the ground like between the houses?

There isn't usually much land between houses here. Land is expensive
and that is what you buy and own. Generally speaking taxes are levied
on the land that you own, not the structure on the land - at least for
the usual family housing. In the cities, particularly, houses will
likely be built to about 1 meter from the boundary line on all sides
and be surrounded by a 7 or 8 foot solid concrete fence.

That's interesting. Over the years, we've had quite a few visitors
(mostly touring cyclists) from other countries, plus a week-long visit
from from friends from Dublin, Ireland.

Others have remarked on our large yard (it's about 0.6 Acres), but the
Irish friends were most astonished by the spread-out nature of America.
"You have so much ROOM!"

Wait a while. Remember, the oldest parts of the U.S. are only about
400 years old.

The place that we own is a bit different in that it is in a
residential housing development, about a kilometer from the village
and is built on a lot that is comprised of three normal housing lots
so we have a lot of land around the house, but no lawn. Instead we've
got trees, coconut trees, banana trees, longan, jackfruit, you name
it, but no grass :-)

In the rural areas, generally speaking, people live in villages and
own agriculture land outside the village rather then living on a
"farm" and in the villages houses are built, just as in the cities,
close together.

Of course there are Mansions, or at least "rich folks houses" that do
have lawns but those places have people to mow their lawn for them :-)

Thanks, that was interesting.

(And we, in this tiny house, are lucky to have the young men next door
to mow our lawn for us!)

Way back when I was in grade school mowing lawns was a very common
"job" for boys during the summer. A good friend, who was "car crazy"
saved enough money from mowing lawns that he was able to buy an old
second hand junker when he turned 16.

I remember those days, and days of shoveling driveways in the winter for
quick cash.

These days, both jobs have been taken over by pickup truck
entrepreneurs, towing huge zero-turn lawnmowers on big trailers in the
summer.

We've been lucky that the family next door and the one living in that
house before them each had two kids who were eager to cut our lawn.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 8th 20, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

On 7/7/2020 1:56 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 07/07/2020 07:55, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 07:32:28 +0200, Tosspot

wrote:

On 07/07/2020 00:53, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:05:38 -0500, AMuzi
wrote:

snip

Interesting. But I read that to become infected the
louse has to
remain attached for 36 to 48 hours...

Not in my case, about 6 hours was enough for me to
contract Lymes disease.

I don't know, but that is what I read.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/faq/index.html
"Finally, blacklegged ticks need to be attached for at
least 24 hours
before they can transmit Lyme disease. This is why it’s
so important
to remove them promptly and to check your body daily for
ticks if you
live in an endemic area."

What can I say? I had a snooze after a BBQ, picked a tick
off at about 07:00, 2 days later I'm on industrial strength
antibiotics. Classic bulls eye welt as well. It wasn't the
worlds most difficult diagnosis :-)

That's a typical report and I know several people who suffered various
degrees of Lyme pain and suffering. The longest I know of was
overnight, most within hours. The worst part of it is that first
symptoms are often not diagnosed as Lyme- swollen joint (knee, jaw,
wrist), lethargy, headache- such that a lab test isn't requested until
the infection is well established. Even worse, it seems there are many
more variants than were known just 20 years ago. That means one may be
infected repeatedly despite prior exposure.

Or, one might be bitten by a lone star tick and be forced to turn
vegetarian.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20428608
Old July 8th 20, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

WE just recently watched a TV show on the Appalachian Trail. They talked
about the value of snakes, like rattlesnakes, in reducing Lyme disease.
They claimed rodents were the original source of the bacterium, and that
ticks later transferred it to the humans who get infected.

This year my wife wanted to practice "live and let live" with the
chipmunks. I think I'm going to revise my strategy.

The problem with the "live and let live" doctrine is that "they" don't
read and thus don't adhere to the rules :-)

The latest here is that some "do gooder" group is protesting the use
of small monkeys to harvest coconuts. They claim that the monkeys are
being abused as they harvest as many a 1,000 trees in a single day
while a human can only harvest 80. Apparently the "do gooder's" don't
realize that a monkey can run up a coconut tree while a human has to
climb it rather laboriously.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 8th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

snip

Interesting. But I read that to become infected the
louse has to
remain attached for 36 to 48 hours...

Not in my case, about 6 hours was enough for me to
contract Lymes disease.

I don't know, but that is what I read.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/faq/index.html
"Finally, blacklegged ticks need to be attached for at
least 24 hours
before they can transmit Lyme disease. This is why it’s
so important
to remove them promptly and to check your body daily for
ticks if you
live in an endemic area."

What can I say?Â* I had a snooze after a BBQ, picked a tick
off at about 07:00, 2 days later I'm on industrial strength
antibiotics.Â* Classic bulls eye welt as well.Â* It wasn't the
worlds most difficult diagnosis :-)

That's a typical report and I know several people who suffered
various degrees of Lyme pain and suffering.Â* The longest I know of
was overnight, most within hours.Â* The worst part of it is that
first symptoms are often not diagnosed as Lyme- swollen joint (knee,
jaw, wrist), lethargy, headache- such that a lab test isn't
requested until the infection is well established. Even worse, it
seems there are many more variants than were known just 20 years
ago. That means one may be infected repeatedly despite prior
exposure.

WE just recently watched a TV show on the Appalachian Trail. They
talked about the value of snakes, like rattlesnakes, in reducing Lyme
disease. They claimed rodents were the original source of the
bacterium, and that ticks later transferred it to the humans who get
infected.

This year my wife wanted to practice "live and let live" with the
chipmunks. I think I'm going to revise my strategy.

Deer ticks typically feed on rodents when young (seed ticks), and turn
to larger animals, like deer or people, when larger. They can really do
a number on young moose, as the mothers apparently have no instinct to
try to remove them.

For the last few years I have been using "tick tubes", carboard tubes
loaded with cotton treated with pyrethrin. Mice are supposed to take
the cotton home to make nests, and kill ticks in the bargain. I can't
really tell whether it's working, our tick problem is not extreme.
Old July 8th 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

If the mice will 'take stuff home' why not Warfarin?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 8th 20, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

That wouldn't kill ticks. It may be better to have rodents attracting
ticks that do not live to maturity than it is to have a shortage of tick
food. Ticks can wait weeks for a meal to wander by.
Old July 8th 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I knew a girl like that...