Cassette change?

Old July 10th 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cassette change?

On 7/9/2020 5:59 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT), Mark Cleary
wrote:

I am easy on drive-train's. I get 6000 miles on chains without going over the limit on 11 speed shimano. My question is right now my cassette a 11-28 has some 16000 miles on it and works fine. No Skipping I am getting ready to put a new chain on pretty soon maybe another 1000 miles. Should I go ahead and swap out the cassette. My instincts tell me to just keep riding. If for some reason a new chain causes a skip then yes i need new cassette. The bike is Ultegra 6800 and shifts like a dream. I put a new cable on the rear today and was thinking maybe just order up a not only the chain but a new cassette. Cassette are a mystery on wear for sure.

What do all the minds in here think? It is not broke leave alone or just go new and be done for hopefully anther 16000 miles, not kilometres.

Deacon Mark

I believe that there is data to show that worn cassettes or chain
rings accelerate chain wear.

Really? Where?

Seems counterintuitive given that worn chains remove the
face of the sprocket, not the other way around.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

Wear begins between rivet and roller not on the sprocket
tooth face.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 10th 20, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

On my manual DuraAce setup the new chain appeared to be jumping teeth on the idler pullies. Chris Robinson thought that it was the derailleur hanger out of alinement so he is looking at it. Which this stupid lockdown it is difficult to get any face to face time so later today when he opens I have to call him and see what is going on. The setup would NOT stop making noise which is disconcerting after all I've paid to build it.
Old July 10th 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Why do you suppose the spelling corrector which normally signals everything couldn't find alignment?
Old July 10th 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2020-07-09 12:20, Mark Cleary wrote:
For me I really don’t think it will skip on a new chain. I live in
flatlands Illinois and keep my chain clean. I have quick link and
will remove and dunk at 500-750 mile intervals. I am not a masher.

I am a masher and chains on the road bike never last much past 3000mi or
1500mi on the MTB.

... I guess I may go ahead order a new chain and cassette.

Good idea and that's what I often do. Once I let the MTB chain go a bit
too long and the new one started skipping on the cassette. After about
100mi that improved. That made for a couple of slower initial rides but
was ok.

One the road bike I sometimes reverse sprockets to milk more miles out
of them. Does require dremeling off part of the wide spline and people
say the shifts are rougher but I didn't experience much of a difference.

Interestingly, modern Shimano chains don't seem to stretch much anymore.
What always wears out are the rollers and pins.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 10th 20, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

"Alinement" is a valid word. Your spelling mistake was akin to mixing up
"two" and "too" and "to." All are valid words.

-------------------------

'Spell Checker Blues'

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Anon

-------------------------

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 11th 20, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It is a common failing of English, primarily, I believe. In several
Asian languages it is almost impossible to misspell a word as spelling
is phonetic and they only have one word for each action.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 18th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 12:23:25 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:
I am easy on drive-train's. I get 6000 miles on chains without going over the limit on 11 speed shimano. My question is right now my cassette a 11-28 has some 16000 miles on it and works fine. No Skipping I am getting ready to put a new chain on pretty soon maybe another 1000 miles. Should I go ahead and swap out the cassette. My instincts tell me to just keep riding. If for some reason a new chain causes a skip then yes i need new cassette. The bike is Ultegra 6800 and shifts like a dream. I put a new cable on the rear today and was thinking maybe just order up a not only the chain but a new cassette. Cassette are a mystery on wear for sure.

What do all the minds in here think? It is not broke leave alone or just go new and be done for hopefully anther 16000 miles, not kilometres.

Deacon Mark

I ended up getting a new cassette and chain so whole new drive train. I even used the Shimano Quick link and bought the master link pliers. I just love good tools but of course they don't get used much. I have to say though that even with the master link pliers I had to put quite a bit of force to get the quick link to snap in and click. I had to move to a better position and apply some huge force. Lots of cycling miles I am not much for brute strength and power. Shifted beautiful after and I did not touch or make any cable adjustment.

Deacon Mark
Old July 18th 20, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/18/2020 2:14 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
[...]

I suspect what you did was best, but it would have been interesting to
see what would have happened if you re-used the cassette. I suspect it
would have skipped, but we'd have learned from your mistake!

Enjoy your ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 18th 20, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

[...]

It would have worked fine I am sure. The old chain in all 110 links together had less than 1/4 inch of stretch. I looked and compared the new cassette to the old one and could not detect a bit of difference other than it was just no shiny new. I got 7500 miles on the chain. I am really easy on chains and tires. I get 5500-6000 miles on COnti GP II's without them being completely wore to the cords.

I think because I doksn't purposely ride in the rain and there are no mountains here they last. I am a spinning distance rider I tend to go long stretches of miles at 16-20 MPH and keep up on maintenance. I hear of guys getting new chains every 1500 miles and tires ect. That would get pretty expensive at the rate I am riding.

Deacon Mark

Old July 19th 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 14:42:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Oh, from long experience, I can tell you that is what happened when you
try to mix and match chains and cassettes. It gets worse the older they
are.

From experience, I found the best way/longest life was to buy three
chains for each cassette and use them together, regularly swapping
chains. Eventually, both are so cactus, you scrap them.

Again, YMMV, but this was for my dailyride/tourer/off roader, etc.

Enjoy your ride.