I want to change my shift lever...

Old December 8th 03, 04:13 AM
zozi w boosh

Default I want to change my shift lever...

I have Trek 1000 which has shimino sora.
I want to have STI shifter, like 9-speed model.
Somebody tole me to get a old model of Shimano Upper level of Lever.
So, I found, shimano 600 STI shifter on the E-bay.
If I get this model, Can I still use my chain ring(52/42/30) or, do I
have to change my crank set together?

Thank you
Old December 9th 03, 05:38 PM
jacques

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:13:53 +0000, zozi w boosh wrote:

I have Trek 1000 which has shimino sora.
I want to have STI shifter, like 9-speed model.
Somebody tole me to get a old model of Shimano Upper level of Lever.
So, I found, shimano 600 STI shifter on the E-bay.
If I get this model, Can I still use my chain ring(52/42/30) or, do I
have to change my crank set together?

Thank you

Probably the main question is to know whether the 600 levers can handle
triple chainrings. If they can, I don't see why they couldn't handle your
setup. The issue of different chainring sizes is handled by the front
derailleur, not by the levers. But beware, I'm no expert.

Jacques
Old December 9th 03, 10:54 PM
jmcmillanut

Zozi W Boosh wrote:
I have Trek 1000 which has shimino sora. I want to have STI shifter,
like 9-speed model. Somebody tole me to get a old model of Shimano Upper
level of Lever. So, I found, shimano 600 STI shifter on the E-bay. If I
get this model, Can I still use my chain ring(52/42/30) or, do I have to
change my crank set together?
Thank you

Shimano stuff should all be compatible. Tiagra or 105 shift levers will
work in place of the Sora shifters (are these downtube shifters, or STI
as well?). Like Jacques said, since you have a triple chain ring, you
will need to make certain the shift levers you buy are triple
compatible. But also, like Jacques said, I'm no expert.