Commuting on a bike when there is no shower

Old February 26th 06, 01:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Commuting on a bike when there is no shower

In the building where I work there is no shower. In my line of work
I'm generally expected to wear a suit, which isn't particularly
practical riding gear especially this time of year...

Building codes do not require office buildings to have showers and many
office buildings, at least around my parts, are built to the absolute
minimum legal spec. Not having a shower facility would be a common
problem.

So how do people handle this? Does the lack of showers mean I have no
other choice but to commute by car? Putting on a suit without washing
isn't an option, nor is seeing clients while wearing lycra riding gear,
and I don't have THAT much faith in anti-BO sprays. So what do I do?

Old February 26th 06, 01:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Travis" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what do I do?

I ride, cool down at my desk for 1/2 hour (check enails, make a coffee etc,
read paper etc), then change out of the lycra into my "professional" attire.
Has always worked for me - as long as you're clean before you leave home.
One thing is that I don't require "product". My wife does, but her work has
a shower. For her or other prolific users of "product", I would thing riding
any distance with no shower would be considered impossible.

Cheers
David M

Old February 26th 06, 03:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle

oooops!! I've never need quadruple threading!!

--
531Aussie

Old February 26th 06, 09:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:43:16 -0800, Travis wrote:

In the building where I work there is no shower.

How sure of that are you? Try asking the building manager rather than
HR, because there could well be one tucked away somewhere. Also if there's
a private toilet, you *might* be able to use one of those rubber hose over
the taps contraptions - there are issues with drainage here, but it could
be worth looking into.

Otherwise cool down, then either change or give yourself a wipe down with
a wet face washer, or something like Wet Ones. A face washer and isopropyl
alcohol should work fairly well.

In my line of work I'm generally expected to wear a suit,

Well there's your problem, right there :-)

--
Dave Hughes |
"Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam

Old February 26th 06, 09:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Travis Wrote:

So how do people handle this? Does the lack of showers mean I have no
other choice but to commute by car? Putting on a suit without washing
isn't an option, nor is seeing clients while wearing lycra riding
gear,
and I don't have THAT much faith in anti-BO sprays. So what do I do?

I'll either shower the night before if I'm doing a long ride BFW
(40km), or in the morning at home if just riding into the office
(15km).
Paper towel bath at the wash basin seems to do the trick.
I park bike in a building about 300metres away so a walk tends to cool
me down somewhat.
Usually in the office before the hoards so time to stabilise.
Pete

--
Poiter

Old February 26th 06, 10:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle

My bike commuting began when I didn't have facilities at the workplace.

Back then the commute was 35mins door to door (St Albans to W Melb) & I
used the toilet basin with a wet towel/chamois & regular towel to dry
off.
I needed more time to cool off though so I was always the first in.

I found cotton T-shirts soaked so I reverrted to bike jerseys as the
air cond was enough to suck the moister out by the end of the day.

--
Marx SS

Old February 26th 06, 10:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle

A tricker variation on this that i'm still getting my head around is
commuting when there are no 'change facilities' per se...

example: Rode in to work on Thursday, rode down to meeting at
Parliament at midday. 5 hour meeting. Wasn't riding back to north
melbourne so had jersey, shoes, etc. in backpack. But then where to
change? Ended up having to use public toilets which were, ahem,
acceptable, but hardly a pleasant addition to the ride.. Half
considered putting my knicks on under my trousers during afternoon tea,
then just changing at my bike (which would then only involve half rather
than full-nakedness)

anyone got any creative ways around this - at least until our snazzy
bike stations arrive?

--
eddiec

Old February 26th 06, 10:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Random Data wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:43:16 -0800, Travis wrote:

In the building where I work there is no shower.

How sure of that are you? Try asking the building manager rather than
HR, because there could well be one tucked away somewhere. Also if there's
a private toilet, you *might* be able to use one of those rubber hose over
the taps contraptions - there are issues with drainage here, but it could
be worth looking into.

Oh I'm *very* sure. I work in a small two story suburban commercial
building. Retail shops downstairs, offices upstairs. It was built so
crappy that there is no insulation in the building at all, the phone in
the ancient second hand lift has not been hooked up and the phone wires
in the 18 month building didn't allow broadband internet until they
were replaced and this triggers a repeated voice message from the lift
warning of a fault

The bathrooms are small and have just a couple of toilets, couple of
urinals and a sink. There is a single room disabled toilet. There
really isn't much room at all, not even for a crappy shower hose on the
sink.

No gyms, no private bathrooms anywhere etc. The upside is that there
aren't any parking issues like I'd face if I parked in town.

Old February 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle

eddiec wrote:

A tricker variation on this that i'm still getting my head around is
commuting when there are no 'change facilities' per se...

example: Rode in to work on Thursday, rode down to meeting at
Parliament at midday. 5 hour meeting. Wasn't riding back to north
melbourne so had jersey, shoes, etc. in backpack. But then where to
change? Ended up having to use public toilets which were, ahem,
acceptable, but hardly a pleasant addition to the ride.. Half
considered putting my knicks on under my trousers during afternoon tea,
then just changing at my bike (which would then only involve half rather
than full-nakedness)

anyone got any creative ways around this - at least until our snazzy
bike stations arrive?

--
eddiec

If you're carrying stuff anyway, chuck a towel in, that's big enough to
tie around your waist. I refused to run in bike knicks, so when we did
bike/run sessions from a shopping centre carpark, I took to getting
changed under my towel.

Tam
Old March 2nd 06, 11:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Davidm" wrote in message
"Travis" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what do I do?

I ride, cool down at my desk for 1/2 hour (check enails, make a coffee
etc, read paper etc), then change out of the lycra into my "professional"
attire. Has always worked for me - as long as you're clean before you
leave home. One thing is that I don't require "product". My wife does, but
her work has a shower. For her or other prolific users of "product", I
would thing riding any distance with no shower would be considered
impossible.

Cheers
David M

I do exactly the same. I found a good roll-on deodorant which I apply
straight after a shower each morning. I don't, however, have to attend
meetings with people at close quarters. The few times I do, I drive in to
work.

Henry.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America General 0 March 30th 05 07:34 PM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM