What factors determine wear on bicycle shorts?

Old January 24th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin Campbell

Default What factors determine wear on bicycle shorts?

I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?
Old January 25th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Colin Campbell wrote:
I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?

Too much playing with yoursel--- er, "adjusting".

John "no personal experience" Doe

Old January 25th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 24, 2:40 pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?

Sounds like a classic case of 'thunder thighs' to me.

DL (NO BS)

Old January 25th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ddog

Maybe try a Mens US Large.
I often get a size larger pants than normally need because my thighs
have always been
disproportionatly large even when running up to 10 miles per day in US
Army:
football legs. And read actual pant product surveys on Performance's
Site, which are some indication
of short quality and problems. The cheap ones may cost less for a
reason, but not necessarily.
And wearing the same size stretched out shorts is not a fixed gage.

Old January 25th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg

On Jan 24, 5:40 pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?

For a time, I had a similar problem and I had no change in body
"dimensions". What I found the problem to be was the seat I was
riding. I had gotten a Cannondale RT3000 tandem and rode the stock
saddle for a while. It was a Flite "copy" made by Cannondale and it
seemed comfortable enough. After a couple of months, I noticed my
shorts getting thin in the area on the insides of upper thighs. The
way the seat was made, there was a seam that ran the length of the
saddle on either side across the top where it begins to slope down the
side. I surmized that this was causing more friction in a localized
area, so I swapped out the saddle and the problem went away.

New saddle recently? Try a different one anyway? I dunno...just a
thought.

I would second the other poster to buy shorts as large as you can. You
don't want them to be loose or not fitting enough that the pad moves
around under you (that's a whole 'nuther problem). By buying a larger
short, the material won't be stretched as much, thus leaving more
material.

Hope that helps.
Greg

Old January 25th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 24, 4:40 pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?

Can't comment on why your shorts are wearing out in front. Mine always
become see through in the back. Two spots at the top of the cheeks.
Might be this is the point the material is stretched the most and also
sees a fair amount of movement of the muscles.

But in comment to those who suggest buying possibly a too large short.
Don't. Over long distances the looseness of the fabric will move
enough to rub and chafe your skin. Had this happen on a 1200k. Second
day of 200 miles with a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts, size
large. I've used them comfortably for 200k and less. But they were
not tight enough so the fabric in back towards the top rubbed my
backside a bit raw by the end of the day. This was not the portion of
the shorts actually touching the saddle. Fabric was just touching my
skin and the air. But too loose. I've lost a fair amount of weight
over the past year so I know why the shorts were too loose.

Old January 25th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On Jan 24, 5:40 pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming
almost see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit
it, I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same
size shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too
tightly?

First is the weight of the fabric. Some companies list that in their
ads, others do not. The heavier the material, the more wear you will
get out of it. The other thing is what are your thighs rubbing
against? You might want to make sure you are not hitting anything
that is rough.
--------------
Alex

Old January 25th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

I've been wearing out my shorts in a couple of years (around 70 - 100
rides). The wear occurs on the front of the shorts, at the top of my
thighs. The lycra thins out and weakens there, eventually becoming almost
see-through.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening. While I hate to admit it,
I'm a bit larger than I used to be, but I'm still wearing the same size
shorts (US Men's Medium). Could I be stretching the material too tightly?

Most likely caused by the seat. Could be wearing out, or perhaps you're
using a different one. Or could be that your being "a bit larger" than you
used to is causing them to abrade in a way they previously didn't.

Could be that a larger short would work better, but in general, a bit too
tight is better than a bit too loose, because loose shorts don't stretch
with your movement as well and can cause chaffing.

Also, if it's towards the center more than the front, could be abrasion
against the seat bag. Seat bags destroy a LOT of shorts. Sometimes just the
straps are enough to do serious damage.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com