Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

Old June 18th 20, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

Default Police to investigate driver overtaking cyclist on double lines

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 10:40:23 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denmark
Italy
Malta
Netherlands
Serbia
Spain
Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.

They *are* legal in those countries.

The cyclist would be arrested.

In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.

I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one - Garmin Nuvicam.

At least you were warned. Nobody warned me radar detectors were illegal in France! I think no law should apply to a tourist unless there's a big sign for you to read at the port telling you the key differences as you cross the border.
Old June 18th 20, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 08:52:00 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denmark
Italy
Malta
Netherlands
Serbia
Spain
Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.

They *are* legal in those countries.

Not what I just read. It would seem nobody knows. I think that's the idea, to catch people out and extract money from unsuspecting tourists.

The cyclist would be arrested.

In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.

How available? What if someone stole my car?
Old June 18th 20, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:17:27 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 18/06/2020 10:40, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina Denmark Italy Malta Netherlands Serbia
Spain Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.

They *are* legal in those countries.

The cyclist would be arrested.

In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.

I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this
year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one -
Garmin Nuvicam.

As some say, it's completely daft. Austria have a heavy fine for just
possessing a dashcam but nothing to stop possession of any other camera
and using it to film the scenery. A Garmin is a satnav. Would they
really expect you to open it up and remove the camera?

Well apparently in France a satnav is illegal if it has speed trap warnings (which cannot be removed from some models). But according to satnav manufacturers, as long as they're called "dangerous road warnings" or similar, the law is so OCD that you get away with it.
Old June 18th 20, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 12:17:29 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this
year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one -
Garmin Nuvicam.

As some say, it's completely daft. Austria have a heavy fine for just
possessing a dashcam but nothing to stop possession of any other camera
and using it to film the scenery. A Garmin is a satnav. Would they
really expect you to open it up and remove the camera?

I would have put some black tape over the lens until I passed into Slovakia.

Old June 18th 20, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

[...]

If we'd stayed in the EU, those laws would eventually reach here.
Old June 18th 20, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/06/2020 12:54, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Yet another law that has nothing to do with the EU.
Old June 18th 20, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:38:38 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

[...]

Not sure what you mean by that, your response is ambiguous - did you mean they shouldn't or can't interfere?

But the EU likes to make all laws the same in every country.
Old June 18th 20, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:34:34 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 12:17:29 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I know they are banned in Austria as I was going to pass through this
year and was warned that there were heavy fines for using one -
Garmin Nuvicam.

As some say, it's completely daft. Austria have a heavy fine for just
possessing a dashcam but nothing to stop possession of any other camera
and using it to film the scenery. A Garmin is a satnav. Would they
really expect you to open it up and remove the camera?

I would have put some black tape over the lens until I passed into Slovakia.

And that tape has always been there sir? You didn't slip it on as we stopped you? Out of the car, handcuffs on.
Old June 18th 20, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/06/2020 12:23, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 08:52:00 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/06/2020 20:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What we need is a law like in:

Bosnia and Herzegovina Denmark Italy Malta Netherlands Serbia
Spain Sweden

Dashcams are illegal.

They *are* legal in those countries.

Not what I just read. It would seem nobody knows.

The website I found seemed fairly clear.

I think that's the
idea, to catch people out and extract money from unsuspecting
tourists.

Yet you complain about being nannied in this country.

The cyclist would be arrested.

In some countries, such a Germany, dashcams are legal so long as
material is not available to the public. Austria, Portugal and
Luxembourg are countries with an outright ban on *dashcams*.

How available?

Youtube, etc.

What if someone stole my car?

I expect the answer is - tough.

Old June 18th 20, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/06/2020 14:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:38:38 +0100, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/06/2020 12:54, Commander Kinsey wrote:

If we'd stayed in the EU, those laws would eventually reach here.

Yet another law that has nothing to do with the EU.

Not sure what you mean by that, your response is ambiguous - did you
mean they shouldn't or can't interfere?

It means the EU hasn't.

But the EU likes to make all laws the same in every country.

The EU does not make laws. It makes directives that individual countries
have to turn into law - which usually end up containing peculiar local
embellishments.