Bike weights

Old July 3rd 20, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike weights

Remembering that I am 6'4" tall. The bike weights are somewhat informative.

1. 2018 Emonda with Aero carbon wheels and Ultegra Di2 60 cm Saddle flat repair kit and full large water bottle full. 21.28 lbs.

1998 Basso Loto no bottle, pedals or saddle pack Campy 10 speed and Fulcrum aluminum wheels. 62 cm 20.78 lbs.

2006 (??) Lemond Zurich 58cm no water bottle or pack Campy 10 speed. 55 mm aero carbon wheels, Look Delta pedals Reynolds oversize 853 tubes 19.78 lbs

2012 Trek Madone 60 cm with manual DuraAce 11 speed saddle pack, half filled large water bottle. Pro-lite 40 mm aluminum wheels 20.17 lbs. There is something drastically wrong with the manual group and I am forced to take it into the shop. It acts as if there is something wrong with the chain with it hopping on the rear derailleur idle pulleys every couple of links. New chain, freshly waxed, Every thing possible done to align front and rear derailleurs. Ultegra 11 speed chain but it acts as if it was a 10 speed chain. Could the chain have come from Shimano with a twist in it? Sounds unlikely but that's the way it acts.
Old July 3rd 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 9:15:34 PM UTC+2, wrote:
[...]

You comparing bike weights leaving the water bottles on the bike, some filled, some half filled or no water bottle at all or a saddle bag or not? Weird.
You know that a 11 speed Ultegra chain has a mounting direction?

Lou
Old July 3rd 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 12:43:57 PM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

No, I didn't know that the Shimano Chain has a direction. Though it's been off and on several times and I would think that it would be correct at least one of those times. But thanks for that information.

As for the water bottles, that's the way they are and normally whatever way they are I take them out that way. The important thing is just how close the weights are. The Lemond could pretty easily be made the lightest bike I have. I have stripped the Colnago to install the DuraAce Di2 on it so I didn't weight it. I think that it will probably be the heaviest of all of them.. I was rather astonished at the weight of the Basso Loto 62 cm steel bike. If you put lighter parts on it, it would compete with anything for tall riders.
Old July 3rd 20, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 1:58:03 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/3/2020 3:15 PM, wrote:
Remembering that I am 6'4" tall. The bike weights are somewhat informative.

1. 2018 Emonda with Aero carbon wheels and Ultegra Di2 60 cm Saddle flat repair kit and full large water bottle full. 21.28 lbs.

1998 Basso Loto no bottle, pedals or saddle pack Campy 10 speed and Fulcrum aluminum wheels. 62 cm 20.78 lbs.

2006 (??) Lemond Zurich 58cm no water bottle or pack Campy 10 speed. 55 mm aero carbon wheels, Look Delta pedals Reynolds oversize 853 tubes 19.78 lbs

2012 Trek Madone 60 cm with manual DuraAce 11 speed saddle pack, half filled large water bottle. Pro-lite 40 mm aluminum wheels 20.17 lbs.

An interesting exercise would be to add your personal riding weight to
each of those, and compare the percent differences in the resulting
total bike+rider weights.

You have never ridden a very light bike and that is quite obvious. Put a 20 lb backpack on and walk up a steep mountain and then lighten that pack up 10% and try it again. It makes a hell of a difference in effort. But you with the **** poor understanding of the real world from supposedly teaching wouldn't understand that. After all, I never hit my head.
Old July 3rd 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Good grief. Just tell me your riding weight. I'll do the math for you.

Although I agree with Lou, it's silly to not give really comparable
weights, that is each bike's weight as actually ridden.

(BTW, we both agree you obviously hit your head badly. It explains so
much. We just disagree on where.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Anyone do weights? Kaiser Sose UK 8 January 11th 07 12:19 PM
Uni Weights... irvinegr Unicycling 13 January 20th 06 01:15 PM
Trek bike weights and tire sizes - ping Mike Jacoubowsky? jj General 7 January 19th 05 12:10 AM
Trek bike weights maguiver Australia 1 October 18th 04 06:38 AM
MTB Frame/Bike Weights - sites? hippy Australia 2 December 9th 03 12:41 PM