Damaged Shimano 105 shift lever

Old June 28th 20, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

Default Damaged Shimano 105 shift lever

I damaged my left shift lever when I crashed my Kona recently. It had become
difficult to shift onto the big ring, so I brought it to my LBS. They worked at it,
but, while it would shift okay in the repair stand, as soon as one tried to shift it
while riding, it was nigh on impossible to get it to go onto the larger chainwheel.
The tech at the LBS thinks the only option is to replace the lever (three weeks to
get the part!!).

What broke or bent in the lever that would explain the difference in shifting? Do any
of you know of other options?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT IHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old June 28th 20, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/28/2020 9:05 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I damaged my left shift lever when I crashed my Kona recently. It had become
difficult to shift onto the big ring, so I brought it to my LBS. They worked at it,
but, while it would shift okay in the repair stand, as soon as one tried to shift it
while riding, it was nigh on impossible to get it to go onto the larger chainwheel.
The tech at the LBS thinks the only option is to replace the lever (three weeks to
get the part!!).

What broke or bent in the lever that would explain the difference in shifting? Do any
of you know of other options?

What sort of shift lever is it?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/28/2020 11:07 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/28/2020 9:05 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I damaged my left shift lever when I crashed my Kona recently. It had
become
difficult to shift onto the big ring, so I brought it to my LBS. They
worked at it,
but, while it would shift okay in the repair stand, as soon as one
tried to shift it
while riding, it was nigh on impossible to get it to go onto the
larger chainwheel.
The tech at the LBS thinks the only option is to replace the lever
(three weeks to
get the part!!).

What broke or bent in the lever that would explain the difference in
shifting? Do any
of you know of other options?

What sort of shift lever is it?

Sorry, didn't notice the thread title.

I wonder if this might be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCwvDtRw8U

But of course, I haven't had that problem.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 28th 20, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/06/2020 15:05, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I damaged my left shift lever when I crashed my Kona recently. It had become
difficult to shift onto the big ring, so I brought it to my LBS. They worked at it,
but, while it would shift okay in the repair stand, as soon as one tried to shift it
while riding, it was nigh on impossible to get it to go onto the larger chainwheel.
The tech at the LBS thinks the only option is to replace the lever (three weeks to
get the part!!).

What broke or bent in the lever that would explain the difference in shifting? Do any
of you know of other options?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT IHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

It sounds like the end-stop is a little close. Wind it out a bit and
let the derailleur over-shift a bit.

The chain under no load will make the shift, under load it won't...quite.
Old June 28th 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 5:38:51 PM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

If the shifter pulls cable I would indeed check the adjustment of the FD.

Lou
Old June 28th 20, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:18:11 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It might very well, thanks. I will keep it in mind.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old June 28th 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That’s oddly unsatisfying from a tech point of view. “I don’t know how it
works, what broke, or how it broke, but if I jam a chunk of plastic swarf
up here, it seems to work again.” Yeah, you can’t argue with success, but
I wish he had a better idea of why.