RLJ cyclist almost mows down pedestrian on crossing

Old July 11th 20, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default RLJ cyclist almost mows down pedestrian on crossing

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 10:46:35 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

By the way, I've seen uniformed police bikes around, but not unmarked ones (and don't say I wouldn't know, because they would have pulled me over - as I usually shout swearwords at cyclists).

Swearing at the police on cycles is not a good idea, especially if you have just passed them closer than the legal 1.5 limit.
Old July 11th 20, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/07/2020 10:38, Simon Mason wrote:

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 10:46:35 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

By the way, I've seen uniformed police bikes around, but not unmarked ones (and don't say I wouldn't know, because they would have pulled me over - as I usually shout swearwords at cyclists).

Swearing at the police on cycles is not a good idea, especially if you have just passed them closer than the legal 1.5 limit.

What IS this "legal 1.5 limit" of which you try to speak?

can you quote the relevant Act or Statutory Instrument?
Old July 18th 20, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 00:28:57 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 10/07/2020 21:46, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 8:10:57 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

We need the law as in some EU countries - no cameras allowed. Stop grassing people off, it's childish!

"Grassing" on law breaking drivers is positive to road safety as they could end up killing somebody through their reckless antics.

The police in Scotland are even using unmarked cyclists to catch drivers overtaking dangerously. How sneaky is that?

QUOTE:
Operation Close Pass: Police Scotland finally trialling safety scheme in Tayside due to cycling boost. It sees plain-clothes police officers hit the roads on bicycles and flag up any drivers who pass them at a dangerously close distance – legally anything less than 1.5 metres.

Marked police vehicles then stop the driver to educate them on passing cyclists at a safe distance.

Close Pass is being rolled out in Tayside as Cycling Scotland launches its annual advertising campaign encouraging drivers to give space to people on bikes.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...cycling-boost/

Define "safe distance" and quote the Act or Statutory Instrument which
provides the underlying legal provision for your definition.

...... eerie silence.....

Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?
Old July 18th 20, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:26:51 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?

It won't matter as you will be at this point here.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg
Old July 18th 20, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 20:30:22 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:26:51 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?

It won't matter as you will be at this point here.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg

I don't give a car that much space, or I'd be off the road. Hint - "space" is the distance between you and them. In that photo there is a car's width between the two objects. That does not happen and cannot happen on a lot of roads when overtaking a car.

I give cars and bicycles the same gap, about a foot. And since I don't live in a weird area full of OCD folk like you, I've never actually had a cyclist even shake his fist for passing that close.
Old July 18th 20, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:48:40 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 20:30:22 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:26:51 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?

It won't matter as you will be at this point here.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg

I don't give a car that much space, or I'd be off the road. Hint - "space" is the distance between you and them. In that photo there is a car's width between the two objects. That does not happen and cannot happen on a lot of roads when overtaking a car.

Yet that photo is in the Highway Code as the recommended overtaking distance and your "one foot" is not. If there is not enough space, then you WAIT until there is.
Old July 18th 20, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 21:03:38 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:48:40 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 20:30:22 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:26:51 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?

It won't matter as you will be at this point here.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg

I don't give a car that much space, or I'd be off the road. Hint - "space" is the distance between you and them. In that photo there is a car's width between the two objects. That does not happen and cannot happen on a lot of roads when overtaking a car.

Yet that photo is in the Highway Code as the recommended overtaking distance and your "one foot" is not. If there is not enough space, then you WAIT until there is.

Do you give the space in the photo to a car? If not you're being dangerous to other motorists, and also the highway code must be wrong, since you cannot possibly give that much space to a car, as I've just explained to you but you conveniently ignored.
Old July 18th 20, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 18/07/2020 21:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:48:40 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 20:30:22 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 8:26:51 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Now what if you pass a cyclist at a "safe distance" and the cyclist wobbles closer to you?

It won't matter as you will be at this point here.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...a-car_orig.jpg

I don't give a car that much space, or I'd be off the road. Hint - "space" is the distance between you and them. In that photo there is a car's width between the two objects. That does not happen and cannot happen on a lot of roads when overtaking a car.

Yet that photo is in the Highway Code as the recommended overtaking distance

How do you know?

Or rather, what makes you think you know?

Where in the law is the "recommended distance" expressed in words and
numbers?

British legislation is *not* expressed in cartoons and hieroglyphs.

and your "one foot" is not. If there is not enough space, then you WAIT until there is.

Prove it by citing (a) the legislative source for your claim and (b) the
source for the measurements you claim to "know".
Old July 18th 20, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

If Simon is wobbling by 1.5 metres, he'd fall off his bike anyway. He's talking ****e.
Old July 18th 20, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey

I swear at the non-police obviously. Mind you, I got away with calling a non-cycling policeman a ******.