A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trek saddle clamp problem.

Old July 10th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Trek saddle clamp problem.

I have been having trouble retaining the EC90 (they weigh almost nothing and are cheap.) saddle on my Trek Emonda. They have actually been falling off and luckily I carry a multitool with me and put them back on with a great deal of trouble out on the road - or more likely, on the side of a steep climb. I did a 34 mile ride yesterday. Along the route is a Trek factory store so I stopped there because I've heard that the new Trek's have a seatpost with a proper saddle mount on it and I asked about it. One of the mechanics came out and took a glance at it and said "you have the wrong clamps on it. You have 7 mm clamps and need 10 mm clamps" Now, this may not solve the problem but it is a cheap try at $17. So they ordered me a set and will call when they come in.

It is nice to know that they have people actually competent with your bike and model. This is something I have seldom encountered before though I admit I tended to buy the more rarely encountered bikes such as Eddy Merckx or Colnago. (lots of Colnagos of every material and model.) I am presently converting my Colnago CLX 3.0 to Di2 and will then convert my Lemond Zurich which will need an external setup. I had an external setup on my Redline and didn't find it to be difficult or likely to break a wire if you installed it correctly.

Speaking of Di2 - Mine used to shift from small ring to large ring with a single lever movement. and it would automatically correct for rear derailleur position. Out on the road somewhere it changed. I couldn't get it to change into the big ring. Somewhere I read that this happens if your battery runs low so I just rode it home in the small ring. Since it was all on a climbing ride I was mostly in the small ring anyway.

When I tried to recharge the battery the charger stayed on for only a minute or so. Then out on the road it still wouldn't change into the big ring unless I pushed the switch 3 or 4 times. It was not self correcting either - I had to be aware of the front derailleur position and use the switches to correct the position and be careful not to allow the front to rub against the chain. I don't know how to correct that and I couldn't find any options on the Shimano program to supposedly set up the Di2. All it appears to do is to recognize all of the components and to look for software updates of which there are none. Can anyone offer any advice?
Ads
Old July 14th 20, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 9:09:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have been having trouble retaining the EC90 (they weigh almost nothing and are cheap.) saddle on my Trek Emonda. They have actually been falling off and luckily I carry a multitool with me and put them back on with a great deal of trouble out on the road - or more likely, on the side of a steep climb. I did a 34 mile ride yesterday. Along the route is a Trek factory store so I stopped there because I've heard that the new Trek's have a seatpost with a proper saddle mount on it and I asked about it. One of the mechanics came out and took a glance at it and said "you have the wrong clamps on it. You have 7 mm clamps and need 10 mm clamps" Now, this may not solve the problem but it is a cheap try at $17. So they ordered me a set and will call when they come in.

It is nice to know that they have people actually competent with your bike and model. This is something I have seldom encountered before though I admit I tended to buy the more rarely encountered bikes such as Eddy Merckx or Colnago. (lots of Colnagos of every material and model.) I am presently converting my Colnago CLX 3.0 to Di2 and will then convert my Lemond Zurich which will need an external setup. I had an external setup on my Redline and didn't find it to be difficult or likely to break a wire if you installed it correctly.

Speaking of Di2 - Mine used to shift from small ring to large ring with a single lever movement. and it would automatically correct for rear derailleur position. Out on the road somewhere it changed. I couldn't get it to change into the big ring. Somewhere I read that this happens if your battery runs low so I just rode it home in the small ring. Since it was all on a climbing ride I was mostly in the small ring anyway.

When I tried to recharge the battery the charger stayed on for only a minute or so. Then out on the road it still wouldn't change into the big ring unless I pushed the switch 3 or 4 times. It was not self correcting either - I had to be aware of the front derailleur position and use the switches to correct the position and be careful not to allow the front to rub against the chain. I don't know how to correct that and I couldn't find any options on the Shimano program to supposedly set up the Di2. All it appears to do is to recognize all of the components and to look for software updates of which there are none. Can anyone offer any advice?

Old July 22nd 20, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 9:09:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I got the saddle clamp ears and they solved all of the problems. You have to be a little careful because some people who assemble these things put grease In the rotating mechanism and so you have to tighten it quite a bit to get it to maintain the proper rotation. I would normally wipe grease off of these things but I was too lazy to do it with the one I installed on Monday and had no trouble at all yesterday though I had to tighten the locking screw tighter than I would have liked. I have to come up with a saddle pack that carries what I may need out in the middle of nowhere that doesn't weigh 1 1/2 lbs. And I have to start training for a couple of centuries at the end of the year. I can remember a metric course around the bay now that doesn't have a killer amount of climbing and probably has a 7-11 along the way.. I can wear my 7-11 jersey and maybe get a no complaints for bringing the bike inside the store because there are so many uh, non-English speakers outside.