Weight of tamdem versus two solo bikes

Old July 10th 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Default Weight of tamdem versus two solo bikes

A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

The illustration that accompanied the question is of a triple,
which I've never seen anywhere in the wild and was probably
chosen for its attention getting value. It's on page 56, alas
no weblink is offered.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old July 10th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 10.07.2020 um 23:00 schrieb bob prohaska:

The illustration that accompanied the question is of a triple,
which I've never seen anywhere in the wild and was probably
chosen for its attention getting value. It's on page 56, alas
no weblink is offered.

As a Grad student, I once had the chance to try out a triplet on the
rear seat. While I am completely unable to ride stoker on a tandem, I
was amazed to find that my stoker-panic completely disappeared on the
triplet. Probably, the mass of two other adults ensures that the
triplet wobbles more like a motorbike rather than like a tandem.
Old July 10th 20, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2020 4:00 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

The illustration that accompanied the question is of a triple,
which I've never seen anywhere in the wild and was probably
chosen for its attention getting value. It's on page 56, alas
no weblink is offered.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I don't know.

My old friend Lenny Preheim (Toga Bike NYC) owned a six
seater which he rented for parades and such. It was built
more like a steel bridge (including prestress arc shape)
and weighed like one too with motorcycle type rims and tires.

So I agree there's some limit beyond which the vehicle
weight per rider becomes deleterious to efficiency.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 10th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 10.07.2020 um 23:00 schrieb bob prohaska:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

Let me put a goalpost he
https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/19...er-swb-tandem/

The Claude-Butler USWB I used to ride is advertised as 45 lbs including
mudguards (mine was from the 1950's with IIRC three-speed deraillieur
gears, not the original 1938 single speed).
Old July 11th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/10/2020 5:00 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

The illustration that accompanied the question is of a triple,
which I've never seen anywhere in the wild and was probably
chosen for its attention getting value. It's on page 56, alas
no weblink is offered.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

I don't know about triples, but for our tandem (i.e. double), I think
it's certainly true.

This is a steel bike, oversized Reynolds 531 tubing, lugless brazed
construction done in 1979 and no components are particularly
lightweight. It weighs about 39 pounds with fenders, dynamo lighting,
heavy wheels and 32mm tires. In those days I don't think a single bike
of its quality would have weighed less than 20 pounds.

There's also this authoritative reference, by Tony Pranses:

SHOVELIN' COAL

There are those who think the tandem is the instrument sublime
For the serious cycle-tourist, and the man concerned with time.
It has drive and rolls much faster as it gobbles up the track,
But it's quite another matter to the guy who sits in back...shovelin'
coal.

But just look at the advantages with twice the power at hand,
And half the wind resistance as it travels o'er the land.
The weight is less than double. This alone gives peace of mind.
But it's still another matter to the guy who sits behind...shovelin'
coal.

Yes, the man up front is master. It is he who shifts the gears.
He decides when brakes are needed, and on top of this he steers.
He can go the wrong direction and wind up in Timbuktu;
But refuses any protest from the guy who's number two...shovelin' coal.

It's just like a locomotive, with the front man engineer,
He sits back and shouts instructions to the fireman in the rear.
It's the way to run a railroad. With a bike it's not so sweet
To the sweating, swearing fellow on the secondary seat...shovelin' coal.

True, the pilots work the throttles while their partners work the flaps.
They are barely more than slaves -- a society of saps.
Co-pilots do the labor. They are not supposed to feel.
It's likewise with the suckers above the rearward wheel...shovelin'
coal.

His view ahead is blank and to peek would be a sin;
So he can't see where he's going -- only places where he's been.
He would love to lean to starboard when to port they make a turn,
But such pleasure is verboten to the fellow in the stern...shovelin'
coal.

Yet there will be retribution on some future day in hell,
When all tandem frames have melted, and the tandem leaders yell.
In agony they writhe, and some mercy they request;
But the back men just keep doing the thing they've done the
best...shovelin' coal.

Note "The weight is less than double" in the second stanza. Case closed!
;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 11th 20, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2020 5:54 PM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 10.07.2020 um 23:00 schrieb bob prohaska:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

Let me put a goalpost he
https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/19...er-swb-tandem/

The Claude-Butler USWB I used to ride is advertised as 45
lbs including mudguards (mine was from the 1950's with IIRC
three-speed deraillieur gears, not the original 1938 single
speed).

A thing of beauty indeed, thank you.

A modern triplet he
http://sandsmachine.com/a_san_t5.htm

Old July 11th 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Wow! 12 S and S couplers at, what, $300 a piece. That’s gotta be a pricey
bike.

Old July 11th 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/10/2020 7:18 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That's true but open air freight rates on a triplet for one
European vacation is about the same price.

Old July 11th 20, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:18:54 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
A modern triplet he
http://sandsmachine.com/a_san_t5.htm

Wow! 12 S and S couplers at, what, $300 a piece. That’s gotta be a pricey
bike.

But the picture of the triplet only has 9 S&S couplers. I know the description says 12 but I count 9. ????
Old July 11th 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 7/10/2020 3:54 PM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 10.07.2020 um 23:00 schrieb bob prohaska:
A question posed to the New Scientist's 4 July issue posits
that multi-seat bikes have a total weight advantage over
solo bikes (per seat), asking at what seat count the weight
advantage per seat fades away.

Initially, I thought the premise of the question mistaken,
but now I'm curious: Is it true that a modern tandem weighs
less than two solo bikes of the same total carrying capacity?

Let me put a goalpost he
https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/19...er-swb-tandem/

The Claude-Butler USWB I used to ride is advertised as 45 lbs including
mudguards (mine was from the 1950's with IIRC three-speed deraillieur
gears, not the original 1938 single speed).

Wow, thanks for that link. I actually owned one of those (or perhaps it
was built 10 years later). Mine was fully chrome plated.

It was, ahh, interesting to work on.

The story I was told was that the one I had dated from '48, but I could
never find anything definitive; I sold it just about when the WWW came
into being, so it never occured to me to "google it" until now.

Mark J.

Richmond Park closed to cars, bikes next if cyclists fail to ride solo Simon Mason[_6_] UK 0 March 26th 20 07:17 PM
Tamdem Recommendations Neil Smith UK 31 October 9th 08 05:21 PM
WTD: Tamdem Richmond cycle elyob UK 16 November 24th 05 12:10 AM
weight limit for bikes paul UK 11 June 4th 05 06:23 PM
Weight confusion- old versus new parts Dan Daniel Techniques 10 December 27th 03 09:10 PM