Speed limits

Old May 12th 05, 02:33 PM
Paul D

Default Speed limits

Do british road speed limits apply to cyclists? I was under the impression
that because it's not law to have a speedo on a bike then limits couldn't
apply, or should this read couldn't be enforced?

I'm asking as I've moved house and my bike to work now takes me down a 30mph
limited hill with a speed camera near the bottom to wake up the dozing
motorists. On my first trip on the bike I was also dozing and cruised past
it at 34mph (as I do have a speedo). A small amount of effort would get me
up to 40mph no doubt, so I'd like to know where I stand before I go past it
a bit quicker on the next morning when I'm not awake.

Just for info - it's a classic revenue camera on a piece of road where no
accidents take place, which should be at least 40mph limited as its country
lane with only the occasional house here and there. The placing at the
bottom of a hill just seems extra cynical to me. Rest assured I wouldn't be
doing 30mph+ on the bike if it was a busy pedestrian area.

Paul

Old May 12th 05, 02:43 PM
stupot

Paul D wrote:
Just for info - it's a classic revenue camera on a piece of road where no
accidents take place, which should be at least 40mph limited as its country
lane with only the occasional house here and there. The placing at the
bottom of a hill just seems extra cynical to me. Rest assured I wouldn't be
doing 30mph+ on the bike if it was a busy pedestrian area.

Do you know the accident history of this road?
Old May 12th 05, 02:46 PM
Chris

Paul D wrote:
[...]

"Cycling Furiously" is the term you are looking for. But you are right,
you can't be done for "speeding" as such.

--
Chris
Old May 12th 05, 02:47 PM
Peter Clinch

Paul D wrote:
Do british road speed limits apply to cyclists? I was under the impression
that because it's not law to have a speedo on a bike then limits couldn't
apply, or should this read couldn't be enforced?

They don't, but if you're really being daft then there are cracks in the
pavement clauses like "cycling furiously".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old May 12th 05, 02:52 PM
Paul D

cynicism
How would I find that out? I thought the local police tend to keep that info
confidential in case they're found out that they put cameras in places where
they'll make the most money?
/cynicism

Old May 12th 05, 02:54 PM
Simonb

Paul D wrote:

Just for info - it's a classic revenue camera on a piece of road
where no accidents take place, which should be at least 40mph limited
as its country lane with only the occasional house here and there.
The placing at the bottom of a hill just seems extra cynical to me.
Rest assured I wouldn't be doing 30mph+ on the bike if it was a busy
pedestrian area.

I'm amazed at the number of people I speak to round here (Southampton) who
complain about the siting of the speed cameras at the top of Maybray
Kingsway (the top of the hill in Bitterne). Goes something like, "It's
obviously a revenue generator. It's a dual carriageway on a hill -- and it's
a straight road!" What they fail to notice is that the cameras are sited in
a pretty high density residential area before a pedestrian crossing on a
bend. How could they fail to notice this? Blind ignorance.

Old May 12th 05, 02:55 PM
dkahn400

Paul D wrote:
Do british road speed limits apply to cyclists? I was under the
impression that because it's not law to have a speedo on a bike
then limits couldn't apply, or should this read couldn't be
enforced?

I'm asking as I've moved house and my bike to work now takes me
down a 30mph limited hill with a speed camera near the bottom to
wake up the dozing motorists. On my first trip on the bike I was
also dozing and cruised past it at 34mph (as I do have a speedo).
A small amount of effort would get me up to 40mph no doubt, so
I'd like to know where I stand before I go past it a bit quicker
on the next morning when I'm not awake.

Relax and let them take your picture. Quite apart from the fact that
you have no number plate and are therefore difficult to identity, the
speed limit as such does not apply to cyclists except where special
regulations apply as in the royal parks. You could of course be charged
with dangerous cycling or riding furiously, and the fact that you were
exceeding the posted limit for motor vehicles could be used as
supporting evidence.

There's a speed camera on a downhill section of the North Circular that
I used to pass every day. With a bit of effort I could get above the
posted limit of 40 mph, and it was my unfulfilled ambition to be
overtaken by a speeding car at just the right moment so that we would
both be in the pictures, and both exceeding the limit.

--
Dave...

Old May 12th 05, 03:13 PM
Robert Bruce

Roedd Vincent Wilcox wedi ysgrifennu:

Just for info - it's a classic revenue camera on a piece of road
where no

If it helps think of it as a tax on the unobservant.

It helps even more to think of it as a tax on the ****witted.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

Old May 12th 05, 03:13 PM
Treefrog

"dkahn400" wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul D wrote:
Do british road speed limits apply to cyclists? I was under the
impression that because it's not law to have a speedo on a bike
then limits couldn't apply, or should this read couldn't be
enforced?

Slightly OT, but I'm pretty sure that bikes don't have enough mass to
trigger the camera. Unless you cover your back in tinfoil to aid the radar,
I'm fairly sure they wouldn't go off anyway.

Even more OT, is the fact that everytime you ride past one, you get a nice
dose of 24Ghz microwave. I'm not sure what kind of power they put out, but
it will be directed just at the road and thus amplified. BTW - I'm not scare
mongering, for all I know it could be 1mW, I really have no idea, it was
just a thought since people seem concerned about mobile phones.

Old May 12th 05, 03:23 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul D
') wrote:

Do british road speed limits apply to cyclists? I was under the
impression that because it's not law to have a speedo on a bike then
limits couldn't apply, or should this read couldn't be enforced?

They apply only to motor vehicles. If your bike doesn't have a motor
they (generally) don't apply. However, there is an offence of 'furious
pedalling', although I don't know of any recent case where that's been
used; and on some private roads e.g. royal parks there are speed limits
which a signposted in the same way as public road speed limits but _do_
apply also to bikes.

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.