web-site on road fatalities

Old April 21st 04, 12:42 PM
cfsmtb

Default web-site on road fatalities

*sigh

any chance of a mildly flippant website that catalogues persona
anecdotes of cyclists who may of had an enjoyable ride today or plan t
in the near future

nah, that’s far too silly to comtemplate....:rolleyes

-

Old April 21st 04, 11:00 PM
flyingdutch

cfsmtb wrote:
*sigh*
any chance of a mildly flippant website that catalogues personal
anecdotes of cyclists who may of had an enjoyable ride today or plan to
in the near future?
nah, that’s far too silly to comtemplate....

funny you should mention that. putting together summat at the mo. base
purely on my own stuff experiences. probably something like hippy's bu
am trying to see if I can get a decent/solid blog/forum thing on ther
too. rides around Melbourne sectio

reworking the Booroondara BUG site shortly too..

-

Old April 22nd 04, 05:59 AM
Glen F

See http://tinyurl.com/3hmmp -

Adult cycling deaths by year; and, separately, those during commuting
hours, taken as 7:00am-9:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm, Monday to Friday.

Interesting. The dip around 1991-92 is fairly clear - widely attributed
to the helmet laws introduced in 1991, and best explained by a
reduction in total cycling (reduced exposure), rather than by any
improvement in cyclist head protection.

An ongoing slow downtrend appears to be superimposed - but I have no
data on concurrent changes in exposure. Surely total adult cycling
per annum would have increased somewhat since the low of 91-92? And by
rather a lot in the last couple of years, if my observations are any
guide...

"Commuting hours" deaths average a fairly modest 6.5 per year nationwide,
rather less than I would have guessed. Census data indicates that
about 2% of all commutes are by bicycle - maybe 200,000 individual
cycle commuters; say 400,000 trips per day.

So your chances of dying cycle commuting are rather less than your
chances of winning Lotto ("break even" is at about five ordinary 8-game
entries per year). Maybe advocates would do well to advertise the fact!

Old April 23rd 04, 07:45 AM
Yuri Budilov

The problem I personally have with all these statistics (i.e. death by/due
to cycling) is that they do not count the number of cyclists who have
survived their accidents (regardless of who's fault it was!) but still paid
a high price like those: para/quadriplegics, broken bones, badly bruised,
teeth and eye damage, etc...... I would love to see all of those. This
should also include cycling accidents caused by poor road conditions and
cyclists own mistakes - to be 100% fare. With car crashes more often than
not the driver & passengers walk away with nothing broken/bruised beyond
their vehicles.....

Once you add those mishaps into equation I doubt bicycling statistics are
all that healthy (pardon my pun!).....

I only started cycling in Dec 2003 and every time I jump on my bike and "hit
the road" I say a silent prayer that I return home in one safe and sound
piece!

Safe riding all!

Old April 23rd 04, 09:21 AM
takver

Yuri Budilov wrote:
I only started cycling in Dec 2003 and every time I jump on my bike and
"hit the road" I say a silent prayer that I return home in one safe and
sound piece!
Safe riding all!

I have been commuting for 30 years now. The first time was from
Redfern to the Sydney GPO. I lined up a friend to cycle with, but she
piked it at the last moment, so I cycled alone amoungst the roaring
inner city traffic.

My number of accidents, self-inflicted and caused by others I can
count on two hands. No broken bones luckily. A lot more close calls.
This morning I watched the cyclist in front of me almost get 'doored'
by a delivery truck driver openning his door without looking in
Swanston street.

Last Friday of the month I always attend 'mass' and say a prayer for
those cyclists who weren't as fortunate or were victims of road rage.
The more cyclists on the road, the safer it is for all of us!