Routemasters (again)

Old July 26th 13, 03:37 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Routemasters (again)

Thumper wrote:
"Baker" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 22:36:16 +0100, "Thumper"
wrote:

Are there any cyclists on that group anymore?
Last time I checked that former cycling group had turned into a
mutual masturbation society for sad lonely trolls.

If there are, they're are not taking the bait :-)

It's the moderators - my perfectly reasonable follow up on the TDF
was rejected due to "probation".

What is the TDF?

Sacre Bleu!

Old July 27th 13, 08:34 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:21:24 +0100, Michael Swift wrote:

In article , Peter Keller
writes
I read uk.legal and there are cross posts from uk.rec.cycling, they
don't alter my opinion that most cyclists are total retards who should
be put down so they can't breed, all for the good of future
personkind,
mankind really, but I'm in a PC mood tonight.

Mike

I am glad you said "most"

My son was a keen cyclist, not the Lycra shorts type as he didn't have
the legs, but then who does, and even he had his arrogant moments
banging on car roofs when he thought they had cut him up and to be fair
some of the car drivers should be off the road as well.

I always try and give cyclists a wide berth, if I can't I wait until I
can pass then safely, but then I'm not the sort of driver who must save
5 seconds delay or their life will end.

I'm sure there are good cyclists out there but sadly I've seen many who
aren't, hence the most.

Mike

I use a bike for most of my urban transport needs, and am also allergic
to being knocked off, involved in accidents or otherwise squished.
I also have no particular interest in "riling up" non-bike riders, so I
try to be visible and predictable, signal and use the bell a lot, stop
before hitting someone or something, take the lane when necessary for
safety but as soon as possible afterwards pull over to let other traffic
pass, etc etc.
Old July 27th 13, 09:15 AM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

On 27/07/2013 08:34, Peter Keller wrote:
[...]

Sounds very reasonable and I'm sure that other reasonable road users
don't expect two vehicles to fit side by side through a space wide
eniough for only one.
Old July 27th 13, 02:03 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NY

"JNugent" wrote in message
I use a bike for most of my urban transport needs, and am also allergic
to being knocked off, involved in accidents or otherwise squished.
I also have no particular interest in "riling up" non-bike riders, so I
try to be visible and predictable, signal and use the bell a lot, stop
before hitting someone or something, take the lane when necessary for
safety but as soon as possible afterwards pull over to let other traffic
pass, etc etc.

Sounds very reasonable and I'm sure that other reasonable road users don't
expect two vehicles to fit side by side through a space wide eniough for
only one.

I cycle as if were a human-powered car, in that I obey all the rules that I
would obey if I was driving and as if I were subject to the same penalties
for disobeying those rules.

I will normally keep as far left as I can without riding into drain covers
or being at risk of veering into the kerb if I'm blown by passing cars or if
my handlebars twitch slightly. I go a lot slower than cars except when they
are crawling along in a queue, so it's only courteous that I try to make it
as easy for cars to overtake me, without endangering/inconveniencing myself.

I NEVER EVER EVER overtake a vehicle on either side if it is indicating
to turn in that direction.

I never overtake vehicles on the left on the approach to a junction where
those vehicles may turn left, even if no-one is indicating to turn. I am
also reluctant to overtake on the left at other times because it would take
me down a narrow gap between the LHS of the vehicle and the kerb, with the
risk of veering either into the car or the kerb.

Normally if I am in a queue of cars, I will wait patiently, just as I would
if I was driving a car. I may dismount and walk along the pavement if a) I
can see that the pavement is sufficiently clear of people that myself and
the bike alongside me won't get in their way, and b) I can see where there
is a space for me to rejoin the road further ahead. I may overtake on the
RHS of the queue of cars if there is plenty of space (eg there are no
oncoming cars because they are held at traffic lights). But normally I will
wait.

I will wait in a position where I am visible to the cars behind me and (via
their rear-view mirrors) the cars ahead. Usually this means being half way
between the LHS and RHS of the cars.

When traffic starts to move, I remain in this position whilst traffic is
moving slowly enough for me to be able to keep up with it. When the car
ahead starts to draw away from me, I move back to the left and expect cars
to start overtaking me.

I ALWAYS ALWAYS obey traffic lights and zebra crossings because they apply
to me as much as to other road users. I am even more alert to the
possibility of a green traffic light turning amber and red than I would be
when driving, because the fact that I am going slower means that it will
take longer for me to be clear of the junction if I do happen to go through
on amber.

Old July 27th 13, 04:18 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NY

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
NY wrote:
[snipped my self-imposed rules for safe but unselfish cycling]

and then I woke up.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that you don't
believe that I abide by these rules, or are you saying that I am wrong to
abide by them and that I should be more selfish/assertive?
Old July 27th 13, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

NY wrote:

[snipped my self-imposed rules for safe but unselfish cycling]

and then I woke up.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that you don't

believe that I abide by these rules, or are you saying that I am wrong to

abide by them and that I should be more selfish/assertive?

It's MrCheerful. He is like MrNugent. He just KNOWS that all cyclists are malefactors. He's trying to be kind by implying that you are only dreaming. He thinks that you are lying.
Old July 27th 13, 05:25 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mrcheerful[_3_]

NY wrote:
[snipped my self-imposed rules for safe but unselfish cycling]

and then I woke up.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that you don't
believe that I abide by these rules, or are you saying that I am
wrong to abide by them and that I should be more selfish/assertive?

I find it hard to believe that you actually ride as described, reading it,
makes it sound like a dream. However, I am prepared to believe that there
are one, possibly more, sensible and legal cyclists in the UK, and if you
are one of the few then I salute you, and I wish there was some way that
you could get the message across to the vast bulk of UK cyclists.

Old July 27th 13, 09:12 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
jnugent

On 27/07/2013 14:03, NY wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
[...]

I am aware that there are some cyclists about who answer that description.

Not many, and certainly not enough, but there are some.

Old July 27th 13, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nick Finnigan

On 27/07/2013 14:03, NY wrote:

I cycle as if were a human-powered car, in that I obey all the rules that I
would obey if I was driving and as if I were subject to the same penalties
for disobeying those rules.

Registration, VED, MoT, mirrors, lights, seatbelt, helmet, staying out of
cycle /bus lanes /advance stop areas ?