Not exactly flattering?

Old December 17th 13, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Not exactly flattering?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998
Old December 17th 13, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
billy

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:42:56 +0000, JNugent wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

Cycling through the City of London to work on a dark morning recently, I was
overtaken by a man in a black coat with no helmet, no lights, and listening to
music through headphones, writes Lucy Kellaway.

Idiot, I thought. As he disappeared into the underground parking of a large
bank, I wondered - what sort of banker does a man like that make?

"banker"? - shurley a misprint.

Judith
Old December 17th 13, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pcb1962[_4_]

On 17/12/13 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

"on a bike you are close to death"
hmm, a rather odd thing to say
Old December 17th 13, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 17/12/2013 10:02, pcb1962 wrote:
On 17/12/13 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

"on a bike you are close to death"
hmm, a rather odd thing to say

yes, there is no risk while riding a bicycle, except when you ride into
a fence or a lorry, or a pothole, or a river, or the sea, or into a lamp
post, or a train, or just fall off, oh, actually..........
Old December 17th 13, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:23:31 +0000, Mrcheerful
wrote:

On 17/12/2013 10:02, pcb1962 wrote:
On 17/12/13 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

"on a bike you are close to death"
hmm, a rather odd thing to say

yes, there is no risk while riding a bicycle, except when you ride into
a fence or a lorry, or a pothole, or a river, or the sea, or into a lamp
post, or a train, or just fall off, oh, actually..........

......... or a branch in the road because you have your head down.

Judith
Old December 17th 13, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pcb1962[_4_]

On 17/12/13 10:23, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 17/12/2013 10:02, pcb1962 wrote:
On 17/12/13 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

"on a bike you are close to death"
hmm, a rather odd thing to say

yes, there is no risk while riding a bicycle, except when you ride into
a fence or a lorry, or a pothole, or a river, or the sea, or into a lamp
post, or a train, or just fall off, oh, actually..........

Nobody said there are no risks, but given that 99.999% (at a rough
guess) of bicycle journeys are completed without fatality I think that
'you are close to death' is rather overstating the danger.
Old December 17th 13, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 17/12/2013 11:31, pcb1962 wrote:
On 17/12/13 10:23, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 17/12/2013 10:02, pcb1962 wrote:
On 17/12/13 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

"on a bike you are close to death"
hmm, a rather odd thing to say

yes, there is no risk while riding a bicycle, except when you ride into
a fence or a lorry, or a pothole, or a river, or the sea, or into a lamp
post, or a train, or just fall off, oh, actually..........

Nobody said there are no risks, but given that 99.999% (at a rough
guess) of bicycle journeys are completed without fatality I think that
'you are close to death' is rather overstating the danger.

as you can see from the list I made the slightest mistake can lead to
death, while in a car the risk of death is far lower. Which is why
cyclists need to ride in the most safe and careful manner.
Old December 17th 13, 07:47 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
MM[_3_]

"Peter" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:23:31 +0000, Mrcheerful
wrote:

Anthony Bournes has given probation officers, the police and CPS a real
headache in his obsession, and it is surprising someone has not
sectioned him yet under the mental health act. Perhaps one day this
mental case will be locked up for his own safety with his stunted
"precious" to keep him company.

Judith

Judith

---

Old December 19th 13, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tuesday, 17 December 2013 08:42:56 UTC, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

The essence of this story is "lots of people cycle, some of them are ****s". This applies to any grouping of people... motorists, handymen, bus spotters, Nugents... it's a fatuous non-story.

Merry Christmas
Old December 19th 13, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On 17/12/2013 08:42, JNugent wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25366998

What isn't flattering? Your stupidity? I agree.