Helmet-cam films cyclists' clash

Old April 10th 12, 03:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Helmet-cam films cyclists' clash

Mountain bikers can't even get along with fellow mountain bikers! I
guess it's a major sin not to get out of their way quickly!

Mike

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6713...cyclists-clash

Helmet-cam films cyclists' clash

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 15:33 09/04/2012

IDENTITY SOUGHT: This mountainbiker is alleged to have assaulted
another mountainbiker on a Port Hills track in Christchurch yesterday.

Relevant offers

A video of a mountainbiker allegedly assaulting another Christchurch
cyclist on a Port Hills track has gone viral online.

The incident was caught on film using a helmet video camera by
mountainbiker Jordan Brizzell.

Brizzell, 24, said the incident began when he asked another cyclist to
give him room to pass on the Flying Nun track on Sunday afternoon.

The man said "yes" but allegedly would not give Brizzell space to
pass.

"Trail etiquette says you pull over to let faster riders by," Brizzell
said.

He said he was polite at first but "got less polite as he refused to
stop".

Brizzell told the man he was rude for not allowing him to pass, and
"that set him off".

A scuffle ensued in the course of which "he put his hand over my nose
and mouth", Brizzell said.

Brizzell said he "did the only thing I could do without letting go of
the camera bit down on his finger".

After "a bit more struggling", Brizzell said, he managed to get away.

"I rolled down the road and spoke to a couple other guys at the car
park," he said.

"They said I should ring the police, so I got my phone out and that's
when the guy showed up again, so that's when I took a photo."

Brizzell said he suffered bruising on his neck and jaw from where the
helmet strap was pulled, along with sore neck muscles and grazes on
his ankle and arm.

He posted the video online on Sunday to see if anyone could identify
the man.

Most responses had been positive, but some people had tried to blame
him for the incident, he said.

"I'll admit I didn't act in a textbook fashion and I have learnt from
this, but I still don't think that anything I said or did was
unreasonable or out of line," he said.

He had given a statement to the police and was waiting to receive more
information.

"Nothing like this has happened to me before," he said.