Cateye Padrone, low battery warning?

Old June 14th 15, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Cateye Padrone, low battery warning?

Folks,

Got a Cateye Padrone speedometer on my MTB. I noticed the little letters
"mph" under the indicate speed are flashing. Not sure whether they
always did, maybe they did. Anyhow, does someone know how these
speedometers indicate a low battery warning or whether they do that at all?

The manual is fairly useless, 22MB full of fluff.

http://www.cateye.com/files/manual_d...S-m_ENG_v1.pdf

I use this device mostly to gauge mileage and time to make sure I return
in due course. I'd be in the dog house if I'd miss dinner because the
speedometer froze up on me :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 14th 15, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:06:29 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Got a Cateye Padrone speedometer on my MTB. I noticed the little letters
"mph" under the indicate speed are flashing. Not sure whether they
always did, maybe they did. Anyhow, does someone know how these
speedometers indicate a low battery warning or whether they do that at all?

Perhaps you could remove the batteries and measure the terminal
voltage with a voltmeter? CR2032 battery. 3.1v to 3.2v when new. I
replace them in computahs when under 2.9v.

The manual is fairly useless, 22MB full of fluff.

http://www.cateye.com/files/manual_d...S-m_ENG_v1.pdf

15 pages of useless setup info.
Cateye Padrone CC-PA100W
If you look on Page 6, you'll see a picture of the big LCD with all
the icons and indicators marked. In the upper left is a battery icon.
It's much like a cell phone battey indicator where it starts out all
black, and changes in sections to just an outline of the battery when
depleted.

My guess(tm) is that the flashing mph means that the device is waiting
for your input for some kind of setting that involves mph. Perhaps a
wheel diameter calibration setting.

I use this device mostly to gauge mileage and time to make sure I return
in due course. I'd be in the dog house if I'd miss dinner because the
speedometer froze up on me :-)

Carry spare batteries.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 14th 15, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

pour rum over it

Old June 14th 15, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yes, the electronics are hung up.

'My guess(tm) is that the flashing mph means that the device is waiting for your input for some kind of setting'

find the 1/16" indented button. Push down and reboot. Cat's still do this ? mine is 15 years now.

Batts ? My Enduro runs 8 years on a batt. In the Light Box: 2:31. 2:32, 2:33......into the past.

always brings a big smile when I dig past it.

ahhh the Cateye..memories of fine rides outback.
Old June 14th 15, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:

Folks,

Got a Cateye Padrone speedometer on my MTB. I noticed the little letters
"mph" under the indicate speed are flashing. Not sure whether they
always did, maybe they did. Anyhow, does someone know how these
speedometers indicate a low battery warning or whether they do that at all?

The manual is fairly useless, 22MB full of fluff.

http://www.cateye.com/files/manual_d...S-m_ENG_v1.pdf

I use this device mostly to gauge mileage and time to make sure I return
in due course. I'd be in the dog house if I'd miss dinner because the
speedometer froze up on me :-)

A look at a number of Cateye cyclemeters all say that the MPH or KPH
"sign" flashes while measuring the speed. I checked the Velo 7, the
Strada and the Padrone (CCPA 100W) documentation and then checked my
own bike. If it is working normally the "MPH" flashes when the wheel
is spinning. When the wheel stops the "MPH" is steady.

My experience with Cateye is that if the display can be seen then it
works. When the display can't be seen change the battery :-)

This might change with a wireless since if the sender battery dies the
display battery might be still good, but off hand, I can't remember
that happening. I generally use them until the display no longer is
visible and then change both batteries.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

John, we're sending a program instruction sheet.
Old June 14th 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Got a Cateye Padrone speedometer on my MTB. I noticed the little letters
"mph" under the indicate speed are flashing. Not sure whether they
always did, maybe they did. Anyhow, does someone know how these
speedometers indicate a low battery warning or whether they do that at all?

Perhaps you could remove the batteries and measure the terminal
voltage with a voltmeter? CR2032 battery. 3.1v to 3.2v when new. I
replace them in computahs when under 2.9v.

That is very wasteful, like taking two bites out of each apple and then
throwing it away. Discharge is spec'd down to 2V on CR2032 batteries and
I design my electronics accordingly, hoping that others also do that.

The manual is fairly useless, 22MB full of fluff.

http://www.cateye.com/files/manual_d...S-m_ENG_v1.pdf

15 pages of useless setup info.
Cateye Padrone CC-PA100W
If you look on Page 6, you'll see a picture of the big LCD with all
the icons and indicators marked. In the upper left is a battery icon.
It's much like a cell phone battey indicator where it starts out all
black, and changes in sections to just an outline of the battery when
depleted.

Indeed, that thing that looks like a barber shop symbol could mean
battery. Why can't people just write "lo-bat" like in the good old days?

My guess(tm) is that the flashing mph means that the device is waiting
for your input for some kind of setting that involves mph. Perhaps a
wheel diameter calibration setting.

There isn't any input. The Padrone is simple. You start to ride and it
accumulates trip miles, average speed and so on. At the end of the ride
you look at all that and, after patting yourself on the shoulder, hold
down the button a bit longer to erase. That's all there really is.

I use this device mostly to gauge mileage and time to make sure I return
in due course. I'd be in the dog house if I'd miss dinner because the
speedometer froze up on me :-)

Carry spare batteries.

Good idea. Although my backpack is already full of spare stuff to the
point where it become difficult to find things in there.

Old June 14th 15, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Mine flashed even at a traffic light. Then again the Cateye Padrone has
some issues with the RF link. RF design seems to become a lost art these
days, would love to get my hands in there. For example, when there is a
lot of air traffic around here the Padrone handlebar unit will not turn
itself off. So I made it a little tin foil hat. No kidding, that makes
it turn off and not eat up the battery.

My experience with Cateye is that if the display can be seen then it
works. When the display can't be seen change the battery :-)

I guess that's the real battery indicator.

This might change with a wireless since if the sender battery dies the
display battery might be still good, but off hand, I can't remember
that happening. I generally use them until the display no longer is
visible and then change both batteries.

I'll carry spares like Jeff suggested. Hoping it writes the trip miles
into flash memory occasionally so they'd be still there. Often that's
the only way to gauge if I can make it home in time. Trails and even
most long distance bike paths out here have next to nothing in signage.
That is the reason why I equipped both bikes with speedometers.

Old June 14th 15, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-06-13 4:37 PM, wrote:
pour rum over it

But I drink pale ale or Guinness on my rides :-)

Old June 14th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

On a more general note: This problem is one of many examples where the
operator interface of electronics could be much better. So many modern
electronic devices - cyclometers, digital watches, microwaves,
televisions, GPS units, etc. - frequently leave their owners asking "How
the heck do I do..." some fairly routine task.

We have several brands of cyclometers in the house. I change the
batteries once per year, which requires re-calibrating. Each one's
recalibration procedure is different, meaning I have to keep all the
instruction manuals on file, along with close-up glasses to read their
tiny fonts.

Oh, and several of those manuals are arcane enough that I've highlighted
text and added notes. The tech guys have made these devices work very
well, but those in charge of communication with humans have a long way
to go.

--
- Frank Krygowski