Cities Turning to Bicycles

Old September 22nd 04, 04:37 AM
Frank Krygowski

Mark Jones wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

I'm glad Zoot said that. I'm trying hard to be diplomatic, so it's good
to have someone speak right up!

I don't need to slow down because I do not speed in
residential areas. Too many ways to have an accident
because of kids playing and people entering and leaving
driveways.

And this is perfectly sensible!

Owning a "performance car" is no crime. The problems come when
motorists (whether in performance cars or minivans) get too
self-important, and impose on others.

It's merely annoying when the imposition is, say, loud exhaust noise.
But it's much more serious when it's speeding through residential
neighborhoods to save a few seconds.

If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old September 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Mark Jones

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

I have to back out of my driveway, so I know what it is like
for everyone else. If people want to drive their high performance
cars fast, they can take them to the race track. That is what
I used to do, and now I have the need to go fast out of my system.

I get a lot of people following me real close because I drive
at or below the speed limit on city streets. No point in driving
fast, the traffic lights are the deciding factor in how long it
takes to get across town on city streets.

Traffic enforcement set up across from my house this spring
and I thanked the policeman for trying to get people to slow
down. Speeding in residential areas should carry a mandatory
fine(no warnings) and some driving instruction. There are just
too many little kids on bicycles who can barely ride them.
Try explaining to someone that you just ran over their little kid.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:52 AM
Brent P

In article , Frank Krygowski wrote:

If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

Great. So fix the interstate speed limits and work your way down the
scale of roads. Then you won't have people doing 40 on a 20 mph
residential street any longer because speed limits will have their
meaning restored. It's wrong to have speed limits that meaningful in
some places (residential streets) and totally meaningless elsewhere
due to severe underposting (55mph posted interstates)

Old September 22nd 04, 05:08 AM
Mark Jones

"Brent P" wrote in message
Great. So fix the interstate speed limits and work your way down the
scale of roads. Then you won't have people doing 40 on a 20 mph
residential street any longer because speed limits will have their
meaning restored. It's wrong to have speed limits that meaningful in
some places (residential streets) and totally meaningless elsewhere
due to severe underposting (55mph posted interstates)

Most of the interstates around here are either posted at
65 or 70 mph. This is in the city. When you get on the rural
interstates around Kansas City, they are all 70 mph.

You only find lowered speed limits near the areas where
there are a lot of on/off ramps.

Old September 22nd 04, 05:18 AM
Nate Nagel

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Mark Jones wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

So. Slow down. That's why they're there.
Or don't slow down and trash your stinky toy.
Either way you're going to whine.

I'm glad Zoot said that. I'm trying hard to be diplomatic, so it's good
to have someone speak right up!

Um, Zoot is an idiot. There are *tons* of speed bumps that I could
scrape my old car on at 0.00001 MPH simply because the exhaust hung
lower than the top of the speed bump. (VW Scirocco - lowered maybe 1".
NOT "slammed.") Let's not mention how it feels to go over a speed
bump on a bicycle!

People who install speed bumps, and/or lobby for the installation of
speed bumps, are quite simply rude and inconsiderate, despite their
protests of inconsiderate behavior on the part of others. Not everyone
drives a land barge SUV.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old September 22nd 04, 06:02 AM
Brent P

In article . net, Mark Jones wrote:
"Brent P" wrote in message
Great. So fix the interstate speed limits and work your way down the
scale of roads. Then you won't have people doing 40 on a 20 mph
residential street any longer because speed limits will have their
meaning restored. It's wrong to have speed limits that meaningful in
some places (residential streets) and totally meaningless elsewhere
due to severe underposting (55mph posted interstates)

Most of the interstates around here are either posted at
65 or 70 mph. This is in the city.

Here they are posted between 45 and 55mph they flow at 78mph.

When you get on the rural
interstates around Kansas City, they are all 70 mph.

That's nice. In rural kansas and through other flat featureless land they
should be ///

Old September 22nd 04, 06:07 AM
Frank Krygowski

Brent P wrote:

In article , Frank Krygowski wrote:

If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

Great. So fix the interstate speed limits and work your way down the
scale of roads. Then you won't have people doing 40 on a 20 mph
residential street any longer because speed limits will have their
meaning restored. It's wrong to have speed limits that meaningful in
some places (residential streets) and totally meaningless elsewhere
due to severe underposting (55mph posted interstates)

I think you need to work on a bigger scale.

First, adjust the orbit of the earth around the sun. Get it properly
circular, for gosh sake!

Then synchronize the darned moon. Why can't it orbit once a month, like
it ought to?

Then get the earth's rotation on its axis consistent. The silly
variations from 24.000 hours are so irritating!

Next, there are all those other countries. How can traffic be logical
if Britain still drives on the left? Fix that, dammit!

Then, and _only_ then, should we begin overhauling our interstate
system. Minimum six lanes in each direction everywhere, and no silly
speed limits.

After that, the major US highways. Then the minor US highways.
Complete overhauls, fix ALL the problems. Then the state highways (in
all _other_ states first, of course.) Then all the county roads. Then
all the township roads.

Then, and _only_ then, should we consider the actual problem: that
people are driving too fast on the village's Elm Street, or whereever.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old September 22nd 04, 07:06 AM
Brent P

In article , Frank Krygowski wrote:

First, adjust the orbit of the earth around the sun. Get it properly
circular, for gosh sake!

Frank has no rebuttle.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:23 PM
Frank Krygowski

Nate Nagel wrote:

There are *tons* of speed bumps that I could
scrape my old car on at 0.00001 MPH simply because the exhaust hung
lower than the top of the speed bump. (VW Scirocco - lowered maybe 1".
NOT "slammed.") Let's not mention how it feels to go over a speed bump
on a bicycle!

People who install speed bumps, and/or lobby for the installation of
speed bumps, are quite simply rude and inconsiderate, despite their
protests of inconsiderate behavior on the part of others. Not everyone
drives a land barge SUV.

nate

Nate, please google "speed hump" to see what we're actually talking
about. You're talking about something else.

The vocabulary is well accepted by people who know this subject. Speed
BUMPS are short in the direction of travel (8" to perhaps 30"), feature
steep slopes (as much as 45 degrees) and can't be driven over at much
above a walking speed.

Speed HUMPS are as long as 14 feet in the direction of travel, feature
smooth slopes, and can be driven comfortably at speeds like 25 mph,
depending on their design. They cause discomfort at higher speeds. The
idea is to keep speeds down to the speed limit in residential areas or
pedestrian areas - not to keep speeds down to 0.00001 mph.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old September 22nd 04, 02:39 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ZF64d.236029$mD.122166@attbi_s02,
Brent P wrote:
In article , Frank Krygowski wrote:

If more drivers thought like Mark, traffic calming measures like speed
humps would be much less necessary. And I think all of us would prefer
that.

Great. So fix the interstate speed limits and work your way down the
scale of roads. Then you won't have people doing 40 on a 20 mph
residential street any longer because speed limits will have their
meaning restored. It's wrong to have speed limits that meaningful in
some places (residential streets) and totally meaningless elsewhere
due to severe underposting (55mph posted interstates)

Wouldn't matter. Even if everyone driving through Frank's
neighborhood was doing the speed limit or below, he'd still complain
they were going "too fast" and want some sort of "traffic calming"
installed. He probably sits out on his front lawn yelling at everyone
who drives by that he doesn't know to "slow down". I've had such
people yell at me while I'm driving in my Miata -- only to look down
and see I'm already doing less than the limit.