Cambridge Police crackdown

Old November 5th 06, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default Cambridge Police crackdown

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote on 05/11/2006 09:05 +0100:
Colin McKenzie wrote:
--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Is it not safer per mile? My recollection of figures quoted by others
here was that it was some 30% safer.

It is about 30% safer but it was decided to use "as safe as" in the
leaflet that Tom & co produced recently as, IIRC, it avoided any
quibbling over the figures.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old November 5th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin

Tony Raven writes:

According to the Cambridge Evening News, police are launching a
crackdown on cyclists in the city.

Well - the quotation from the police says...

"...cyclists and motorists..."

Old November 5th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Sniper805
(L96A1) ') wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote:
--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as
walking. Make an informed choice - visit www.cyclehelmets.org.

Is it not safer per mile? My recollection of figures quoted by others
here was that it was some 30% safer.

Indeed.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBas...ank=1&Rank=272

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

Old November 5th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Colin McKenzie wrote:
--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as
walking.

Is it not safer per mile? My recollection of figures quoted by others
here was that it was some 30% safer.

It is about 30% safer but it was decided to use "as safe as" in the
leaflet that Tom & co produced recently as, IIRC, it avoided any
quibbling over the figures.

And there are indications that it may not be safer for all age groups,
so people could quibble about that too.

About as safe is unexpected enough to most people.

Colin McKenzie

Old November 5th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Tony Raven wrote:

A similar campaign held in the city after the clocks went back last year
saw 37 fixed-penalty notices issued to cyclists in four days."

Fewer than 10 FPNs issued per day in Cambridge doesn't sound like much
of a crackdown to me.

--
Dave...

Old November 5th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

Never mind the fancy debate, this is absolute and utter b*ll*cks.
For instance this debate would not occur in Denmark or Holland - or any
other civilised nation.
Trouble is here we are subject to the (all bow down NOW) motoring press/
pressure.
How sodding petty to start on a few harmless, inoffensive benign cyclists.
Our planet might perish tomorrow but "hey kids" lets hand out some FPN's.
Job done - what a load of arse.

--
John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
According to the Cambridge Evening News, police are launching a crackdown
on cyclists in the city.

"Law-breaking riders face fine

CYCLISTS who flout the law are to be hit in the pocket by a police
crackdown in Cambridge.

Officers are under instruction to stop cyclists riding after dark without
lights or committing other offences such as ignoring road signs and
signals or cycling the wrong way down one-way streets, and issue £30
on-the-spot fines.

Cyclists behaving suspiciously will also be stopped by police to check if
the bikes they are riding have been stolen.

Sgt Simon Cross, from Parkside police station, said: "We have received a
lot of complaints from other road users about cyclists not behaving
responsibly and it is a major issue in the city centre.

"Neighbourhood officers, and in particular the west city team, will be
stopping cyclists and motorists who are putting themselves and other road
users at risk and, where appropriate, issuing penalty notices."

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...86c99458a6.lpf

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Old November 5th 06, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

On 05/11/2006 17:51, John Clayton said,
Never mind the fancy debate, this is absolute and utter b*ll*cks.
For instance this debate would not occur in Denmark or Holland - or any
other civilised nation.

You're right. The problem is that we're not in Denmark or Holland.

I was stunned at the number of Britons emigrating every year. I wonder
why. (My brother emigrated to Holland, BTW. He lived and worked in
Moscow for about 4 years or so, came back to the UK, saw how backward it
was and buggered off again!)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old November 5th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 22:52:57 -0000 someone who may be "Adam Lea"
wrote this:-

If you cycle within the law, you won't get fined.

Really?

Does your touching belief apply to Telford?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old November 5th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mb

John Clayton wrote:

Never mind the fancy debate, this is absolute and utter b*ll*cks.
For instance this debate would not occur in Denmark or Holland...

This time of year, every year the Dutch (and Belgian) police are out
checking cyclists' lights and handing out fines if they are not used
(when dark, obviously). Schoolkids are one of the main targets.

If you don't have any identification on you during these checks, then
you'll get fined for that as well.

Mined ewe, you get a pen if everything's OK...

--
Mike

Old November 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
raisethe

My experience of Cambridge police is that they are not too bright as
far as bicycles are concerned. They recovered my bike a few weeks after
it had been stolen but sold it at one of their auctions despite my
registration mark being very clear on the mudguard. This was not long
after I had received an Alex Ferguson type verbal assault from one of
them for being careless enough to have my locked bike stolen!

Should have sued them for handling stolen goods! :P

Seriously, I hope you raised the roof.
--
David Lloyd,

Sadly, I didn't. Being young and innocent at the time, I even
reimbursed the new owner for the cost of a rack he had put on it when
told to do so by the police.

Of course, if it had happened in recent years, I would have squeezed as
much out of them as I could.

Cambridge rowman UK 22 August 2nd 06 07:17 AM
RR (Cambridge to) London to Cambridge Simon Proven UK 1 July 23rd 06 02:58 PM
Cambridge top for cycling Tony Raven UK 1 June 20th 05 04:03 PM
Mobile 'phones crackdown MartinM UK 79 November 23rd 04 02:32 PM
Southampton cyclist crackdown Tony Raven UK 138 November 16th 03 03:12 PM