CycloCross Rear Rim For 220# Rider?

Old June 14th 10, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default CycloCross Rear Rim For 220# Rider?

Theoretically, I'd like tb able to run the legendary Schwalbe Big
Apples - just to try them out.

But practically, I'll probably never go beyond 1.5 or 1.6-inch
cyclocross tires and *might* even want to try 23mm tires to see
if I can keep up with some of the more dissipated roadies.

Seems like 23mm and Big Apples are not going to co-exist.

32-hole. Fully-rigid frame.

Rear takes more of a beating than the front. I've had the same
single-eyelet Mavic 517's as my front wheels for years - both
rigid and FS - with no cracks whereas the same rim lasted about a
year on the rear - and that was on an FS. Mavic 618
double-eyelet rear is holding up OK on my rigid.

All that being the case, and my being able to live without Big
Apples but maybe wanting to try the road tires some time... what
would be a rim recommendation?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 14th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jun 13, 9:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

A friend used Alex 24mm rims with Big Apples. I use 22s with Marathon
(standard and Plus) tires, so 24 isn't too far out there. Here's a
couple of comparison shots:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum...sage_id=167964
Old June 14th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 13, 8:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Theoretically, I'd like tb able to run the legendary Schwalbe Big
Apples - just to try them out.

But practically, I'll probably never go beyond 1.5 or 1.6-inch
cyclocross tires and *might* even want to try 23mm tires to see
if I can keep up with some of the more dissipated roadies.

Seems like 23mm and Big Apples are not going to co-exist.

32-hole. *Fully-rigid frame.

Rear takes more of a beating than the front. * I've had the same
single-eyelet Mavic 517's as my front wheels for years - both
rigid and FS - with no cracks whereas the same rim lasted about a
year on the rear - and that was on an FS. * Mavic 618
double-eyelet rear is holding up OK on my rigid.

All that being the case, and my being able to live without Big
Apples but maybe wanting to try the road tires some time... what
would be a rim recommendation?

I built my daily rider rims on Alex DM18s (the Adventurers are about
the same price and dimensions if you like black) and mounted up some
50mm Conti tires for much of last week (that would be the same as the
skinnier Apple), and they rode great at 35psi. My buddy D., who I
borrowed them from, used them on skinnier rims and found that he had
to pump them harder so they wouldn't feel floppy in turns--the point
of fat tires being lost. There's really no rim that's going to be
ideal for both. However, the DM18, Adventurer, or Rhynolite will all
do 50-60mm tires fine, and also go down to around 28-30 at a minimum.
Old June 14th 10, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 14 June, 02:26, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

Stick with the 517 and use less spoke tension. 15swg (1.8mm) may
still be OK for 32 spokes at 220lb rider weight, but I think 14swg
(2mm) would result in a more satisfactory wheel with nipples adjusted
for best wheel response(suspension). With good wheel set up there is
generally no need for seperate sus[pension 'systems'. Suspension
systems on bicycles have always been a solution looking for a
problem. It's poorly built wheels (overly stiff) which create the
need.