Speed Humps

Old October 4th 06, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
scott135

Default Speed Humps

My local Highways department has seen fit to create new speed humps in
my own small housing estate. It's already subject to a 20mph limit but
they obviously felt the urge to create some new and exciting hazards.
Now, I've never previously perceived speed humps to be particularly
hazardous but last night, on returning home from the office, in the
rain, travelling at around 14mph, I approached this hump in a straight
line, hit the white painted chevron on the inclined approach to the
hump, and my front wheel just skewed from under me resulting in a
rather painful slide of some 15 feet on wet tarmac. God, my right side
is bl**dy painful this morning... I'm still absolutely convinced I hit
the hump at 90 degrees, otherwise I'd have better understood why the
front wheel went right out from under me.

So now, the nicely white painted speed hump is ever so slightly tinted
pink with my blood. Grrgh!

Old October 4th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

scott135 wrote:
hit the white painted chevron on the inclined approach to the
hump, and my front wheel just skewed from under me

That'll be the nice fresh slippery white paint, you'd probably have
been OK on the unpainted bit. You have my sympathy.
In my street it is also a 20MPH zone but they've put in cushions rather
than humps so cycles can still zoom up the middle, apart from when my
youngest is on the trailgator and insists on going over the bumps just
for the fun of it!

Old October 4th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

One for the local press.

Following on from scott135's message. . .

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bra business went bust

2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
Gravity beer in Essex http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk
Old October 4th 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

My local Highways department has seen fit to create new speed humps in
my own small housing estate. It's already subject to a 20mph limit but
they obviously felt the urge to create some new and exciting hazards.

I would gladly swap speed bumps and other traffic calming for more cameras,
and I'm saying this as a driver.
Old October 4th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sirius631

Mark Thompson wrote:
My local Highways department has seen fit to create new speed humps in
my own small housing estate. It's already subject to a 20mph limit but
they obviously felt the urge to create some new and exciting hazards.

I would gladly swap speed bumps and other traffic calming for more cameras,
and I'm saying this as a driver.

I agree. Cameras are only campaigned against by those who think it is
their right to speed. Speed humps punish the innocent. But, as they
say, prevension is better than cure - like you can stop the spread of
the flu virus by banning anyone from breathing.

David Lloyd

Old October 4th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Sirius631 wrote:
Mark Thompson wrote:
My local Highways department has seen fit to create new speed humps in
my own small housing estate. It's already subject to a 20mph limit but
they obviously felt the urge to create some new and exciting hazards.

I would gladly swap speed bumps and other traffic calming for more cameras,
and I'm saying this as a driver.

I agree. Cameras are only campaigned against by those who think it is
their right to speed.

Wrong. Some of those who campaign against speed cameras do so because
they believe that the road safety emphasis should be on making the roads
safer and not on punishing drivers for a victimless 'crime', or even
simply raising revenue.

As we saw from the recent "contributory factors" report from the DfT
speeding was a recorded factor in only 5% of injury accidents. OTOH,
speed which was excessive for the conditions, but within the speed limit
(so not noticed by speed cameras), was recorded as a factor in 12% of
accidents, and following too close (not noticed by speed cameras) for
7%. Driver error (overshot junction, wrong signal, failed to look
properly etc.) was recorded as a factor against *66%* of all injury
accidents.

As we have also seen in recent reports, those signs which flash "slow
down", or whatever, are more effective than speed cameras at enforcing
speed limits anyway.

--
Matt B
Old October 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Matt B wrote:

As we have also seen in recent reports, those signs which flash "slow
down", or whatever, are more effective than speed cameras at enforcing
speed limits anyway.

http://217.118.128.203/store/report_...d=2699&pid=211

http://217.118.128.203/store/downloadreport.asp?id=2699

http://www.pacts.org.uk/policy/briefings/vms.htm

pk

Old October 4th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Matt B said the following on 04/10/2006 14:11:

As we have also seen in recent reports, those signs which flash "slow
down", or whatever, are more effective than speed cameras at enforcing
speed limits anyway.

Are you serious? We've just had some installed locally, and drivers did
slow down when seeing them. For about a month. Now they are just
totally ignored. Mind you, this might be something to do with the fact
that they flash "50" in a 50 limit, when you're doing 45! They also
flash "Slow down" approaching various roundabouts, but well before there
is actually any need to reduce speed. There is bags of room to gently
slow down to a stop well after the warning signs.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 4th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Sirius631" wrote in message

snipsnip

Speed humps punish the innocent. But, as they
say, prevension is better than cure - like you can stop the spread of
the flu virus by banning anyone from breathing.

David Lloyd

And being in a high risk category ( and 69 as well) there are still no flu
jabs available unless you pay some £20 in a shop!!!!!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old October 4th 06, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

p.k. wrote:
Matt B wrote:
As we have also seen in recent reports, those signs which flash "slow
down", or whatever, are more effective than speed cameras at enforcing
speed limits anyway.

http://217.118.128.203/store/report_...d=2699&pid=211
http://217.118.128.203/store/downloadreport.asp?id=2699
http://www.pacts.org.uk/policy/briefings/vms.htm

Yes, thanks for saving me the look-up :-)

--
Matt B