Hub or Bottle dynamo?

Old July 31st 07, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Agzee

Default Hub or Bottle dynamo?

I am looking to purchase a new dynamo and am undecided whether to get
a bottle or hub dynamo, I will be having a new front wheel built in
the near future so my options are open as to what dynamo type to get.

On searching the web it appears that the popular bottle dynamos are
the AXA and Busch & Muller.

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

The other hub dynamos that I have come across are manufactured by
S-Ram and a German one the RENAK ENPARLITE 2, I think there was a UK
importer for the Renak Enparlite but he appears to be in the process
of closing down his business.

At the moment I am part way through converting my Mountain bike into a
tourer and the suspension forks on the bike are to be replaced with a
set of rigid forks which will also make it easier to fit bottle
dynamo.

The tyres that I was going to fit are Schwalbe touring tyres 'Marathon
Supreme' but according to Schwalbe these tyres are "Not suitable for
use with a sidewall dynamo", therefore if I stick with this tyre
choice it rules out a bottle dynamo.

If a bottle dynamo has an advantage over a hub one then I suppose that
I could review my tyre choice.

Cheers - Agzee

Old July 31st 07, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Agzee" wrote in message

I am looking to purchase a new dynamo and am undecided whether to get
a bottle or hub dynamo, I will be having a new front wheel built in
the near future so my options are open as to what dynamo type to get.

On searching the web it appears that the popular bottle dynamos are
the AXA and Busch & Muller.

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

If you're happy spending the money, get the SON. Otherwise the Shimano ones
are fine, even towards the lower end.

I wouldn't get a bottle 'mo these days.

cheers,
clive

Old July 31st 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PhilD

On Jul 31, 12:03 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
If you're happy spending the money, get the SON. Otherwise the Shimano ones
are fine, even towards the lower end.

I wouldn't get a bottle 'mo these days.

Agreed. "Bottle" types are OK as a "bolt on" (literally) for
something-is-better-than-nothing, occasional use. Hub dynamos work
better but need a new/rebuilt wheel. As you're going to do this
anyway then this will be your best choice (money permitting, of
course).

PhilD

Old July 31st 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Clive George wrote:

If you're happy spending the money, get the SON. Otherwise the Shimano
ones are fine, even towards the lower end.

aolyup/aol

I wouldn't get a bottle 'mo these days.

I run a bottle on the 8 Freight because with a hub front brake and
monoblade fork a dynohub won't go on. I use the standard B&M, and it
works fine and is a solid, well made, reliable unit that I don't have
any real complaints about. But it's still a half baked Work Of Stan
compared to the dynohubs. They just sit there and work when you need
them and don't otherwise draw any attention to themselves at all. No
slip, no noise, no applying and disengaging, no fuss about tyre choice,
no fiddling with spring tension. None of those things are exactly hard
work or real fuss, but it's so much nicer not having to worry about them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 31st 07, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Peter Clinch twisted the electrons to say:
I run a bottle on the 8 Freight because with a hub front brake and
monoblade fork a dynohub won't go on.

As an aside, one of the 8-Freights used in York has been fitted with a
normal disc-braked fork.
Old July 31st 07, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

Agzee wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new dynamo and am undecided whether to get
a bottle or hub dynamo, I will be having a new front wheel built in
the near future so my options are open as to what dynamo type to get.

On searching the web it appears that the popular bottle dynamos are
the AXA and Busch & Muller.

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

The top of the range Shimano dynamo hub is the DH-3N71 (or the DH-3D71
if you are using disc brakes).
They are available for 32 or 36 spokes, and cost about £60.

I have one, and it does the job nicely.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old July 31st 07, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Agzee said the following on 31/07/2007 12:00:

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

SON if you can afford it, but I have a Shimano 3N71, and it's wonderful.
Avoid the lower end Shimano dynohubs as the ones designed for 3-speed
shoppers are very draggy, according to various performance graphs :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 31st 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andreas Schulze-Bäing

Am Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:00:16 GMT schrieb Agzee:

I am looking to purchase a new dynamo and am undecided whether to get
a bottle or hub dynamo, I will be having a new front wheel built in
the near future so my options are open as to what dynamo type to get.

On searching the web it appears that the popular bottle dynamos are
the AXA and Busch & Muller.

I've used an Axa HR both on my old Dutch bike and on my current hybrid in
the years before changing to a hub dynamo. Compared to some of the cheap
bottle dynamos it's a very reliable little machine. But you will
occasionally come across weather situations where a bottle dynamo simply
stops working. The worst is usually in autumn when leaves and water create
a "greasy" compound - but also the winter months with frost can be
difficult times. It also depends a bit on the right combination of tyre and
bottle dynamo. I had for example problems with the combination Axa HR and
Schwalbe Marathon.

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

SON is the Rolls Royce of hub dynos. The Shimano top model is the DH-3N71,
but the cheaper models work fine as well. I also read good review of the
Novatec Hub Dynamos as an alternative to the cheaper Shimano hubs.

The tyres that I was going to fit are Schwalbe touring tyres 'Marathon
Supreme' but according to Schwalbe these tyres are "Not suitable for
use with a sidewall dynamo", therefore if I stick with this tyre
choice it rules out a bottle dynamo.

I wrote to the Schwalbe support some years ago, complaining that they
should test their tyres with bottle dynamos. So it seems they reacted. :-)

Andreas
Old July 31st 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_2_]

Agzee wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new dynamo and am undecided whether to get
a bottle or hub dynamo, I will be having a new front wheel built in
the near future so my options are open as to what dynamo type to get.

If you cycle in the country at night use hub or batteries. A bottle makes an incredibly
annoying mosquito noise which spoils the peace of a moonlight night.

[Story] Luckily I'd disconnected mine one night and so rescued a kitten in the middle of
nowhere 'cos I heard a strange animal cy and wondered what it was. These two animal eyes
shone in the torch followed by a weeny meowing mouth. He was literally a handful - How do
you carry a Houdini kitten home on a bike? (Aown your shirt.)

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Old July 31st 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Paul Boyd wrote:
Agzee said the following on 31/07/2007 12:00:

For hub dynamos it appears that SON comes out on top, although I am
interested in the Shimano ones though I cannot work out what hub is
top of their range (I will want a 36-spoked hub).

SON if you can afford it, but I have a Shimano 3N71, and it's
wonderful.

I too have a 3N71. Having seen SONs on friends bikes, and compared things
like the freewheel drag, I don't think there is any significant difference
in ordinary use.

If after night riding on a hub dynamo, I'd cost in the 3N71.
If there is spare money, I'd spend it on really good lamps, either a pair of
bulb lamps with switches, or one of the more upmarket LED options. Only if
there was spare cash would I then consider the SON over the Shimano (and
even then I might spend the money on other bits on the bike first).

Avoid the lower end Shimano dynohubs as the ones
designed
for 3-speed shoppers are very draggy, according to various
performance graphs :-)

Unfortunately this reputation of some older models tarnishes the newer hub.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

AXA HR bottle dynamo connector charles UK 6 August 3rd 07 09:23 PM
FA: Campy Record carbon bottle cage w/bottle, new jodi Marketplace 0 October 17th 05 12:03 AM
bottle dynamo recommendation Ric UK 17 December 15th 03 09:22 AM
Bottle Holder? daino149 Unicycling 7 November 23rd 03 08:03 AM
Bottle dynamo noise Colin Blackburn UK 11 November 10th 03 07:14 PM