Mt. Washington + Fixed Gear?

Old March 24th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

Default Mt. Washington + Fixed Gear?

I remember someone within the last ten years competed in the Hillclimb
Challenge on either an single-speed or a fixed gear bike. It's a non-
UCI race so minimum weights aren't regulated, and IIRC the rider said
that dropping the weight was of more value than losing the few gears
he'd actually use.

I've been trying to track down a pic of the bike and info on the rider
of little avail. Anyone have leads?
Old March 24th 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Mar 24, 10:34*am, Scott Gordo wrote:
I remember someone within the last ten years competed in the Hillclimb
Challenge on either an single-speed or a fixed gear bike. It's a non-
UCI race so minimum weights aren't regulated, and IIRC the rider said
that dropping the weight was of more value than losing the few gears
he'd actually use.

I've been trying to track down a pic of the bike and info on the rider
of little avail. Anyone have leads?

A fellow I used to know on-line (it's been a while, I
didn't archive it, I don't even remember the venue)
rode that one year. He later confessed he _could_
have ridden it fixed gear (assuming a good ratio)
since after the first 200 yards or so, he stuck it in
his lowest gear and never shifted, nor stopped
pedalling until the top.
Old March 24th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:34:53 -0700 (PDT), Scott Gordo
wrote:

I remember someone within the last ten years competed in the Hillclimb
Challenge on either an single-speed or a fixed gear bike. It's a non-
UCI race so minimum weights aren't regulated, and IIRC the rider said
that dropping the weight was of more value than losing the few gears
he'd actually use.

I've been trying to track down a pic of the bike and info on the rider
of little avail. Anyone have leads?

Dear Scott,

Dunno if it was in competition, but Mark Villegas climbed "Mt
Washington on a track bike with a time of 1hr20":
http://bikehugger.com/people/

You could email him and see if he has photos.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 24th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DailyEvil

There have been MANY riders compete on single speeds - probably 10 or
more per year. You won't win - you lose too much time at the start,
and on the flatter 8%-10% sections up top - but you can easily finish.

If you are looking for one specific rider, try the MWARBH discussion
group on the race web site.
Old March 25th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Mar 24, 1:57*pm, DailyEvil wrote:
There have been MANY riders compete on single speeds - probably 10 or
more per year. *You won't win - you lose too much time at the start,
and on the flatter 8%-10% sections up top - but you can easily finish.

If you are looking for one specific rider, try the MWARBH discussion
group on the race web site.

I see. No, wasn't looking for a particular rider, I was looking more
for a pictorial of "Gearless Bikes Of The Mount Washington
Hillclimb".

Preferably with swimsuits.
Old March 25th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Norman wrote:

A fellow I used to know on-line (it's been a while, I
didn't archive it, I don't even remember the venue)
rode that one year. *He later confessed he _could_
have ridden it fixed gear (assuming a good ratio)
since after the first 200 yards or so, he stuck it in
his lowest gear and never shifted, nor stopped
pedalling until the top.

How about coming back _down_ in a low fixed gear?

Art Harris
Old March 25th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Mar 25, 4:52*pm, Art Harris wrote:
Norman wrote:

A fellow I used to know on-line (it's been a while, I
didn't archive it, I don't even remember the venue)
rode that one year. *He later confessed he _could_
have ridden it fixed gear (assuming a good ratio)
since after the first 200 yards or so, he stuck it in
his lowest gear and never shifted, nor stopped
pedalling until the top.

How about coming back _down_ in a low fixed gear?

Art Harris

I don't beleive they let anyone bike back down again, even with drag
brakes, parachutes, and new Keds.
Old March 26th 10, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Brian Huntley wrote:

How about coming back _down_ in a low fixed gear?

Art Harris

I don't beleive they let anyone bike back down again, even with drag
brakes, parachutes, and new Keds.

There's only one road up to the top, so they have to come down the
same way.

Art Harris
Old March 26th 10, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Art Harris wrote:
Brian Huntley wrote:
How about coming back _down_ in a low fixed gear?
Art Harris

I don't beleive they let anyone bike back down again, even with drag
brakes, parachutes, and new Keds.

There's only one road up to the top, so they have to come down the
same way.

Art Harris

Bicycles are normally banned on Mt Washington, they are allowed
(obviously) for the race, but only going up. Racers have to use motor
vehicles to get back down.
Old March 26th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Peter Cole wrote:
There's only one road up to the top, so they have to come down the
same way.

Bicycles are normally banned on Mt Washington, they are allowed
(obviously) for the race, but only going up. Racers have to use motor
vehicles to get back down.

OK, I guess that makes sense. A friend of mine climbed Mt Washington
(solo, not part of a race) around 1980. I remember him saying the trip
down was pretty scary due to the steepness, and bus traffic.

Art Harris

Fixed gear [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 July 15th 07 04:12 PM
A fixed gear question from a "gear head" !Jones Techniques 155 June 30th 07 06:50 PM
fixed gear Q? Bill Henry General 40 September 20th 05 04:41 AM
which fixed gear hub? dan_s Techniques 9 September 7th 05 03:37 PM
54 cm fixed gear frame (potential for fixed 'cross) Andrew Karre Marketplace 0 August 30th 04 02:13 PM