Inch-pitch is for sissies

Old January 13th 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Inch-pitch is for sissies

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which the 1
& 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain and
sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."
--Cycling Life, 1897
http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 13th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Carl Fogel wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which the
1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain and
sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."

--Cycling Life, 1897

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Good to see that "snake oil" was popular in bicycling more than 150
years ago. I wonder whether the customer base was as gullible as they
are today, be that about carbon fiber or saddles with holes and slots
in them as well as riding technique... always spinning at over 100RPM.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old January 14th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

James Steward wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which
the 1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain
and sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."

--Cycling Life, 1897

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Good to see that "snake oil" was popular in bicycling more than 150
years ago.

People use Goanna oil here.

http://www.grabthegoanna.com/goanna-...a-oil-liniment

I hope you are aware the "Snake Oil" is a mythical substance used by
quack doctors in the old west. There is no "snake oil". However, the
web site does not hint at what "Goanna" oil is or contains. It sounds
like so much "Snake oil" to me.
--
Jobst Brandt

Old January 14th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/13/2011 2:26 PM, aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Carl Fogel wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which the
1& 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain and
sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."

--Cycling Life, 1897

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Good to see that "snake oil" was popular in bicycling more than 150
years ago. [...] ^^^

I get 114 years from 1897 to 2011.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 14th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
James Steward wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which
the 1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain
and sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."

--Cycling Life, 1897

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Good to see that "snake oil" was popular in bicycling more than 150
years ago.

People use Goanna oil here.

http://www.grabthegoanna.com/goanna-...a-oil-liniment

I hope you are aware the "Snake Oil" is a mythical substance used by
quack doctors in the old west. There is no "snake oil". However, the
web site does not hint at what "Goanna" oil is or contains. It sounds
like so much "Snake oil" to me.

Yes, well aware that "Snake Oil" is mythical, like rocking horse ****
and hens teeth.

Modern day "Goanna Oil" is a product brand name and has the following
active ingredients (from the website).

* Methyl Salicylate 4.2% w/w
* Turpentine Oil 4.2% w/w
* Eucalyptus Oil 2.5% w/w
* Camphor 0.83% w/w
* Peppermint Oil 0.42%
* Pine Oil Pumilio 2.5% w/w
* Menthol 0.17% w/w

And behold, no goannas in sight!

However, I believe Australia's Aboriginals did use the fat and oil
extracted from the goanna as a bush medicine, as the wiki page Friar
Broccoli provided the link for explains.

Whether the modern incarnation of "Goanna Oil", with all it's active
ingredients, actually helps an athlete, is subjective, IMHO, and thus
your conclusion that it is like "Snake Oil" is probably correct.

JS.
Old January 14th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James wrote:
wrote:
James Steward wrote:

"One inch pitch is still the almost invariable rule, from which
the 1 & 1-4 inch pitch used on the Waltham company's special chain
and sprocket construction forms the most notable exception."

--Cycling Life, 1897

http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...n1307/mode/1up

Good to see that "snake oil" was popular in bicycling more than 150
years ago.

People use Goanna oil here.

http://www.grabthegoanna.com/goanna-...a-oil-liniment

I hope you are aware the "Snake Oil" is a mythical substance used by
quack doctors in the old west. There is no "snake oil". However, the
web site does not hint at what "Goanna" oil is or contains. It sounds
like so much "Snake oil" to me.

Yes, well aware that "Snake Oil" is mythical, like rocking horse ****
and hens teeth.

Oops, I almost forgot about the Nargun and the "Drop Bears"!

JS.
Old January 14th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

*http://www.grabthegoanna.com/goanna-...s/goanna-oil-l...

[...]

Looks like a circulatory stimulant (local) to me, ideal for warm-up.
Old January 14th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

thirty-six wrote:
On Jan 14, 2:52 am, James wrote:
wrote:
James Steward wrote:
[...]

An ideal warm-up for me is riding on rollers for 10-15 minutes,
particularly if the race is a time trial, or handicap where you need to
be able to go from the gun.

Many road scratch races a warm-up might be 10 minutes of easy riding in
a low gear.

Oil doesn't get the blood moving like exercise.

JS.

Inch by inch, bike trails linking up - Cincinnati, Ohio area Garrison Hilliard Rides 0 March 21st 10 03:16 PM
Testemax - Not for you one balled sissies Anton Berlin Racing 2 March 15th 10 01:49 AM
Really confused: Headsets, threaded, threadless, 1 inch, 1-18th inch?? Ken M Techniques 4 December 14th 05 02:22 AM
What is 1/2 inch pitch? Carl UK 11 September 9th 05 02:24 PM
Sissies Afraid of a Razor? Tom Kunich Racing 14 July 13th 05 07:01 PM