Fewer cyclists would be killed if cars were made safer.

Old May 23rd 11, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

Default Fewer cyclists would be killed if cars were made safer.

On May 22, 6:00*am, Doug wrote:
"More than 700 deaths and serious injuries on UK roads could be
prevented if all cars were fitted with the latest safety equipment,
according to a new study.

Researchers analysed accidents going back a decade, and concluded that
hundreds of thousands of crashes could be prevented if cars had
'autonomous emergency braking' where the car stops on its own..."

Video:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13485350

Many bicycles don't seem to have effective brakes at all, let alone
automatically operating ones. A push bike MOT would be a good start
for reducing casualties on the roads.
Old May 24th 11, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 23/05/2011 18:47, Simon Mason wrote:
On May 22, 11:40 pm, Peter wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 13:22:28 +0100, davidlang wrote:
On 22/05/2011 06:00, Doug wrote:
"More than 700 deaths and serious injuries on UK roads could be
prevented if all cars were fitted with the latest safety equipment,
according to a new study.

Be even safer if the cyclists ****ed off and left to the roads to
motorists.

One day you will learn that a push bike simply isn't a suitable form of
transport on modern roads.

It is.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Made me laugh when a driver on the radio said his arms were sore at
having to battle high winds in Scotland!
Poor thing.

Have you been taking the stupid pills again?

How would a push bike cope with 100 mph winds then?

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.
Old May 24th 11, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Mon, 23 May 2011 13:05:42 -0700, Derek C wrote:

On May 22, 6:00Â*am, Doug wrote:
"More than 700 deaths and serious injuries on UK roads could be
prevented if all cars were fitted with the latest safety equipment,
according to a new study.

Researchers analysed accidents going back a decade, and concluded that
hundreds of thousands of crashes could be prevented if cars had
'autonomous emergency braking' where the car stops on its own..."

Video:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13485350

Many bicycles don't seem to have effective brakes at all, let alone
automatically operating ones. A push bike MOT would be a good start for
reducing casualties on the roads.

I have never heard of an automatically-operated bicycle brake.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.
Old May 24th 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On 22/05/2011 06:00, Doug wrote:
"More than 700 deaths and serious injuries on UK roads could be
prevented if all cars were fitted with the latest safety equipment,
according to a new study.

Be even safer if the cyclists ****ed off and left to the roads to
motorists.

One day you will learn that a push bike simply isn't a suitable form of
transport on modern roads.

It is.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Made me laugh when a driver on the radio said his arms were sore at
having to battle high winds in Scotland!
Poor thing.

Have you been taking the stupid pills again?

How would a push bike cope with 100 mph winds then?

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.- Hide quoted text -

I managed it OK yesterday - just use your lower gears.
The Humber Bridge was closed to non viable high sided vehicles though,
not to cyclists.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 24th 11, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Tue, 24 May 2011 01:48:02 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

snip

How would a push bike cope with 100 mph winds then?

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.- Hide quoted text -

I managed it OK yesterday - just use your lower gears.
The Humber Bridge was closed to non viable high sided vehicles though,
not to cyclists.

You need to tell the Highways Agency and then they can buy some super duper
specs with wind speed measurement incorporated.

They thought the speeds were only 60:70 and gusting at 80 mph.

Unless is was a Simple mistake of course?

--
Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old May 24th 11, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On May 23, 9:05*pm, Derek C wrote:
On May 22, 6:00*am, Doug wrote:

"More than 700 deaths and serious injuries on UK roads could be
prevented if all cars were fitted with the latest safety equipment,
according to a new study.

Researchers analysed accidents going back a decade, and concluded that
hundreds of thousands of crashes could be prevented if cars had
'autonomous emergency braking' where the car stops on its own..."

Video:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13485350

Many bicycles don't seem to have effective brakes at all, let alone
automatically operating ones. A push bike MOT would be a good start
for reducing casualties on the roads.

Statistics of likely savings in KSI?
Old May 24th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 24, 7:02*pm, Squashme wrote:

Many bicycles don't seem to have effective brakes at all, let alone
automatically operating ones. A push bike MOT would be a good start
for reducing casualties on the roads.

Statistics of likely savings in KSI?

Can I get Medway to check the tread depth on my Conti GP 4000 road
tyres? :-)
The lighting is non BS complaint though, so my bike would fail
presumably.

--
Simon Mason
Old May 24th 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On May 24, 7:49*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
On May 24, 7:02*pm, Squashme wrote:

Many bicycles don't seem to have effective brakes at all, let alone
automatically operating ones. A push bike MOT would be a good start
for reducing casualties on the roads.

Statistics of likely savings in KSI?

Can I get Medway to check the tread depth on my Conti GP 4000 road
tyres? :-)

Cycle over his head?

Old May 24th 11, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 24/05/2011 10:06, Judith wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2011 01:48:02 -0700 (PDT), Simon
wrote:

snip

How would a push bike cope with 100 mph winds then?

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.- Hide quoted text -

I managed it OK yesterday - just use your lower gears.
The Humber Bridge was closed to non viable high sided vehicles though,
not to cyclists.

You need to tell the Highways Agency and then they can buy some super duper
specs with wind speed measurement incorporated.

They thought the speeds were only 60:70 and gusting at 80 mph.

Unless is was a Simple mistake of course?

Simple Simon has difficulties with the concept of speed.

--
Dave - Cyclists VOR.

How can the roads be made safer for cyclists? BBC R4 12 middday Squashme UK 3 April 19th 11 05:12 PM
Speed guns made my commute safer Simon Mason UK 37 January 16th 10 02:19 PM
More cyclists equals safer roads- Official. spindrift UK 31 August 9th 08 02:13 PM
More bikes fewer cars. Doug[_3_] UK 55 May 21st 08 07:08 PM
21% Fewer Cyclists [Not Responding] UK 14 November 21st 04 11:25 PM