Titanium ride verse CF

Old October 10th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default Titanium ride verse CF

Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them much
none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
Old October 10th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Mark Cleary schreef:
Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them much
none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

I have 3 Ti bikes, 3 Al bikes a CF bike and a steel bike and the ride
all wonderful and look all great. It's not what the frame is made off
it's what they have done with the material, the fit and your own fitness
what make how a bike rides. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lou
Old October 10th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them
much none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

I have 3 Ti bikes, 3 Al bikes a CF bike and a steel bike and the ride
all wonderful and look all great. It's not what the frame is made off
it's what they have done with the material, the fit and your own fitness
what make how a bike rides. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lou

Wheels and tires make a big difference too. I have a crappy wheelset
and 1-1/2 good wheelsets. The difference is noticeable - the crappy
ones feel a lot less directionally stable.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 10th 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Nate Nagel schreef:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them
much none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

I have 3 Ti bikes, 3 Al bikes a CF bike and a steel bike and the ride
all wonderful and look all great. It's not what the frame is made off
it's what they have done with the material, the fit and your own
fitness what make how a bike rides. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lou

Wheels and tires make a big difference too. I have a crappy wheelset
and 1-1/2 good wheelsets. The difference is noticeable - the crappy
ones feel a lot less directionally stable.

nate

Agreed. Don't be cheap on tires I always say.

Lou
Old October 10th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

RonSonic schreef:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:58:30 -0500, Mark Cleary wrote:

Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them much
none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

In my part of the country you can't walk through the standard yuppie trap LBS
without tripping over a Lightspeed.

Maybe you have to look a little closer. It is Litespeed.

Lou
Old October 10th 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 10 Oct, 17:38, Nate Nagel wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them
much none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

I have 3 Ti bikes, 3 Al bikes a CF bike and a steel bike and the ride
all wonderful and look all great. It's not what the frame is made off
it's what they have done with the material, the fit and your own fitness
what make how a bike rides. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lou

Wheels and tires make a big difference too. *I have a crappy wheelset
and 1-1/2 good wheelsets. *The difference is noticeable - the crappy
ones feel a lot less directionally stable.

Poor quality wheelbuilds are I believe the number one cause of bicycle
dissatisfaction. Fortunately even factory 'junk' wheels supplied on
£70 Taiwanese bicycles are correctable to make even these
monstrosities perform well. Poor wheels will seriously marr the
performance advantage of a lightweight frame. The value of the wheel
is in its build, not its components. Front end stiffness seems highly
subjective and trying different fork and handlebar assemblies as well
as wheels and tyres can help the rider decide precisely what suits
him.
Old October 10th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
Since the thread on titanium cassettes has me thinking, how does a
titanium bike ride. I have never road one and wonder the difference
between these and CF, and AL? Are there any places that carry them
much none in my lBS for sure ony AL and CF.

I have 3 Ti bikes, 3 Al bikes a CF bike and a steel bike and the ride
all wonderful and look all great. It's not what the frame is made off
it's what they have done with the material, the fit and your own fitness
what make how a bike rides. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Lou

That is interesting I am fit but not a super rider and I had an AL frame
for a year and then went to CF. The Cf rides much better at least over
the long haul on different roads. The AL was fine and it looked great
rode pretty good but the CF is noticeable better on rougher roads. I am
able to reach a little higher speeds on the CF but not huge amounts,

Old October 10th 09, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 10 Oct, 19:10, Mark Cleary wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
[...]

Slight positional changes can make a huge difference. Frequently this
is the cause of different riding quality, and the saddle. And the tyre
pressure and the wheels and then the front forks and handlebar
assembly. The rear frame shows the least difference, and this
difference can not be large, economics dictate that the the stiffness
of lightweight frames be broadly similar. The feel of a superlight
steel frame is what is most desirable although some suspect that
handling is a problem. I believe the primary problem with such a
frame is that it does not take the knocks well.
Old October 10th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Mark Cleary schreef:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
[...]

That is possible, but it is also possible the other way round.
How many Al bikes did you ride for a while and how many CF? Were the CF
bikes always faster/more comfortable?

Lou
Old October 10th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Oct 10, 8:54*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:

Lou Holtman wrote:
Mark Cleary schreef:
[...]

I'd be inclined to ask who built his wheels. I had an example a few
years ago when a Gazelle arrived with wheels that just wasted the good
components and wrecked the experience of the bike. After I rebuilt the
wheels, the true value of the bike, not least its comfortable floating
ride, came out. When I first got my Cyber Nexus Trek, I took one look
at those huge ali tubes and wondered if I had made a mistake buying a
bike so certain to ride harshly, but the stunningly built wheels
(designed by Keith Bontrager especially for that bike) made the ride
very pleasing (1); I've had that frame on other perfectly good wheels
and immediately it falls back to being a midrange city bike, nothing
notable, inoffensive rather than outstanding -- put it back on the
fancy Bontrager wheels and the whole bike is lifted into another class
altogether.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

(1) After I chucked off the axe-head saddle Trek in their wisdom
fitted to a city bike, and rearranged the ergonomics of the bike to
fit me to a T, something I didn't have to explain to Trek, who
enthusiastically helped me do the job. Whoever said in this thread
that the frame material has little influence on the cyclist's
perception of ride quality is a wise man.

...but titanium is Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 29 June 2nd 08 04:06 PM
SinkingWitch - Il pleut à verse Davey Crockett[_3_] Racing 0 July 21st 07 03:15 PM
VERSE 81: 'CAN THIS REALLY BE THE END"? [email protected] Techniques 0 February 15th 05 06:35 PM
Titanium what ever Techniques 0 November 10th 04 01:10 AM
Titanium flyingdutch Australia 33 April 3rd 04 10:54 AM