London Critical Mass confronts a motorist.

Old May 30th 05, 02:23 PM

Default London Critical Mass confronts a motorist.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/05/312035.html

This motorist was impatient and wanted hundreds of London Critical Mass
riders to make way for his very important motor car. He couldn't bear
to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes at most. In the end the police told
him to back up and shut up.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

Old May 30th 05, 03:08 PM
Monkey Hanger

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/05/312035.html

This motorist was impatient and wanted hundreds of London Critical Mass
riders to make way for his very important motor car. He couldn't bear
to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes at most. In the end the police told
him to back up and shut up.

The video seems to show him assaulting a cyclist. I doubt he will be charged
of course...
--
Chris
Old May 30th 05, 03:49 PM
Tony Raven

Monkey Hanger wrote:
wrote:

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/05/312035.html

This motorist was impatient and wanted hundreds of London Critical Mass
riders to make way for his very important motor car. He couldn't bear
to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes at most. In the end the police told
him to back up and shut up.

The video seems to show him assaulting a cyclist. I doubt he will be charged
of course...

If it did I didn't spot it and there is no obvious movement of the crowd
that one would expect in response to an assault. Most of the time his
arms are open and outward - a non threatening sign of appealing to them
not of confronting them. As there is no recording of what was said that
is all there is to go on.

Looks to me like someone whose access is blocked getting out of his car
to appeal to them to allow him through. But I was not there so its only
my speculation.

YMMV

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill
Old May 30th 05, 04:04 PM
Mike Quin

In article , Tony Raven wrote:

If it did I didn't spot it and there is no obvious movement of the crowd
that one would expect in response to an assault.

At 00:20 he either pushes the girl in front of him or grabs hold
of her bicycle. Some of the surrounding crowd reacted to that and he
backs off.

--
Mike Quin
Old May 30th 05, 04:30 PM
Monkey Hanger

Mike Quin wrote:

In article , Tony Raven wrote:

If it did I didn't spot it and there is no obvious movement of the crowd
that one would expect in response to an assault.

At 00:20 he either pushes the girl in front of him or grabs hold
of her bicycle. Some of the surrounding crowd reacted to that and he
backs off.

That's what I saw. There was a bit of pushing and shoving i.e. common
assault. And there did appear to be a crowd reaction, mainly a verbal one.
--
Chris
Old May 30th 05, 04:57 PM
Tim Downie

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/05/312035.html

This motorist was impatient and wanted hundreds of London Critical
Mass riders to make way for his very important motor car.

Perhaps he just had somewhere to get to? Do you know *why* he was driving
up there and if he was under any time pressure?

He couldn't
bear to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes at most. In the end the police
told him to back up and shut up.

Looks to me like a lot of noisy demonstrators blocking a public thorougfare
and not showing consideration for other road users.

Was this an officially sanctioned and policed event?

Tim

Old May 30th 05, 05:11 PM
wafflycat

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/05/312035.html

This motorist was impatient and wanted hundreds of London Critical
Mass riders to make way for his very important motor car.

Perhaps he just had somewhere to get to? Do you know *why* he was driving
up there and if he was under any time pressure?

I'm sure that if he *genuinely* had somewhere to be urgently, the police
would have got him through.

He couldn't
bear to wait for about 5 or 10 minutes at most. In the end the police
told him to back up and shut up.

Looks to me like a lot of noisy demonstrators blocking a public
thorougfare and not showing consideration for other road users.

Actually it's very clear on the video that a voice is saying "space for
everybody", so it's hardly blocking the roads, unlike... err... a jam of
motor vehicles ;-)

Was this an officially sanctioned and policed event?

Critical Mass is not an organised event. People turn up and ride their
bikes. You know, the same way people get in their cars and drive. Is the
traffic jam on the W25 every day an officially sanctioned, yadda, yadda
yadda event?

Cheers, helen s

Tim

Old May 30th 05, 05:18 PM
Sara Kirk

In article , wafflycat wrote:

Actually it's very clear on the video that a voice is saying "space for
everybody", so it's hardly blocking the roads, unlike... err... a jam of
motor vehicles ;-)

It didn't look like anyone was going anywhere in that video clip. It
may have been an atypical shot but it certainly looked like a blocked
road.

--
Sara

iChat: sarakirk (AIM)
So, what are you going to do? Sucker me to death?
Old May 30th 05, 05:38 PM
wafflycat

"Sara Kirk" wrote in message
. ..
In article , wafflycat wrote:

Actually it's very clear on the video that a voice is saying "space for
everybody", so it's hardly blocking the roads, unlike... err... a jam of
motor vehicles ;-)

It didn't look like anyone was going anywhere in that video clip. It
may have been an atypical shot but it certainly looked like a blocked
road.

You mean it looked like any other traffic jam :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old May 30th 05, 05:46 PM
Sara Kirk

In article , wafflycat wrote:

"Sara Kirk" wrote in message
. ..
In article , wafflycat wrote:

Actually it's very clear on the video that a voice is saying "space for
everybody", so it's hardly blocking the roads, unlike... err... a jam of
motor vehicles ;-)

It didn't look like anyone was going anywhere in that video clip. It
may have been an atypical shot but it certainly looked like a blocked
road.

You mean it looked like any other traffic jam :-)

Well, no. I was relpying to the comment above "so it's hardly blocking
the roads". That was a very blocked road, and unlike any other traffic
jam, it didn't look like I'd be able to squeeze past on me bike!