tires for 29" MTB wheels

Old September 20th 05, 07:35 PM
3Hank

Default tires for 29" MTB wheels

Hi, I'm trying to pull together an overview of tires available for 29"
wheels. Here is what I have found so far:

Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.10 $37,00
Bontrager Jones ACX 29
Bontrager Jones XR 29
WTB Moto Raptor 2.1 $35
WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 $35
WTB ExiWolf 2.3 $35
Continental Vapor 29x2.1
Kenda Karma 29x2.20 $45.99
Kenda Klaw XT 29" 29x2.10 $40.99

Does anyone know of any other 29" tires or has practical experience
with any of these? I'm particularly looking for 29" tires with low
profile.

Thanks,
Hank

Old September 20th 05, 08:05 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old September 20th 05, 08:35 PM
Chalo

3Hank wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to pull together an overview of tires available for 29"
wheels. Here is what I have found so far:

Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.10 $37,00
Bontrager Jones ACX 29
Bontrager Jones XR 29
WTB Moto Raptor 2.1 $35
WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 $35
WTB ExiWolf 2.3 $35
Continental Vapor 29x2.1
Kenda Karma 29x2.20 $45.99
Kenda Klaw XT 29" 29x2.10 $40.99

Does anyone know of any other 29" tires or has practical experience
with any of these? I'm particularly looking for 29" tires with low
profile.

Schwalbe Big Apple 700x50 (29x2.0") and 700x60 (29x2.35") $32
Schwalbe Little Albert 29x2.1 $54
IRC Mythos 29x2.1 $28

I have tried the WTB NanoRaptor, and it's a fine all-surface tread,
tolerable on the street and capable on dirt. I imagine it's not all
that great for mud or loose rock, but what is?

The Schwalbe Big Apple is a slick, but the 700x60 is so fat that it
makes a great off-road tire for most conditions when used at
appropriate inflation pressures. And of course it is an outstanding
street tire.

I am not sure what you mean by "low profile", since a 2" or fatter tire
is by nature going to have a pretty high profile. Less than 2" isn't a
"twenty-niner", but it will still fit on the same rim. There are
plenty of cyclocross-type 700c knobbies in the 35mm to 43mm range if
that's what you're after.

Chalo Colina