Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete

Old July 7th 03, 02:35 AM
Rodney Kuehl

Default Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete

http://www.stpetecycling.com/

Some guy crossed a double yellow and ran into a pack of 40 cyclists injuring
several seriously. A go-fast bike club and a triathlete group. I think I
know who all the go-fast 'bent guys in that club are (including the
Bacchetta posse) and do not believe they were riding with that group

Worst part is a car that witnessed the thing took off. I ride the streets
of St Pete from time to time and never feel threatened by cars but them I
never had one come at me head on.

Best wishes and prayers to the injured.

Rod Kuehl
Riverview, FL

Old July 7th 03, 08:14 AM
azqaz

"Rodney Kuehl" wrote in message rthlink.net...
http://www.stpetecycling.com/

Some guy crossed a double yellow and ran into a pack of 40 cyclists injuring
several seriously. A go-fast bike club and a triathlete group. I think I
know who all the go-fast 'bent guys in that club are (including the
Bacchetta posse) and do not believe they were riding with that group

Worst part is a car that witnessed the thing took off. I ride the streets
of St Pete from time to time and never feel threatened by cars but them I
never had one come at me head on.

Best wishes and prayers to the injured.

Rod Kuehl
Riverview, FL

Damn.

Damn. Again.

I was in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area a few weeks ago, and saw a
couple of packs of serious die hards heading south on Guld Blvd
towards St. Pete in a pouring rain. I hope none of them were involved
since they looked like regular group riders. The area seemed very
bike friendly in general, and bent friendly in particular. It is a
shame to hear of something like this happening. Is there any more
info on the cause?

Thanks
Bryan

Old July 7th 03, 09:50 AM
Steve McDonald

Rod K. wrote:

Worst part is a car that witnessed the thing took off.

It would be much better if a person could be found who saw the
accident, as cars don't usually give very credible testimony.

Riding with other cyclists always increases your danger on the road.
A good portion of your attention is focused on the other riders. You
won't be as alert for other vehicles or as able to take evasive action
if you're surrounded by others.
When I was 14, a good friend who was riding with me was killed by a
drunk driver. I was on my friend's right and I blocked his way to dodge
out of the car's path. If cycling in a group, anything other than
single file is asking for trouble and in many places is illegal.

Steve McDonald

Old July 7th 03, 05:16 PM
Freewheeling

There was something like this in Virginia a few years ago. A world class
triathlete was killed while on a training ride. The driver was an underage
driver at the wheel because his father was drunk, and he said he intended to
"just scare" the riders. He got a relatively light sentence, as did his
father. That's when I decided that the League of American Bicyclists
weren't doing their job... at least not compared to motorcycle advocacy
groups who aggressively try to prosecute every accident that involves a
motorcyclist.

--
--Scott

Cut the "tail" to send email.

news

Old July 8th 03, 01:42 PM
Bill Hamilton

Ken wrote in
:

According to the article in the local paper the driver of the car
decided to pass a slow car in a "do not pass" portion of the road. So
he's toast.

Though I noted in one of the news articles linked that the driver was not
ticketed on the scene.

-Bill Hamilton

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists Cycle America General 24 May 30th 04 01:53 AM
Risk Homeostasis - Drivers and Cyclists Robert Haston Social Issues 48 December 12th 03 04:56 PM
Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs? Ken General 85 September 22nd 03 11:22 PM
Do bicycles and cars mix? wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX General 62 September 13th 03 03:24 AM