What is the hand signal for 'I am going to make a U turn' ?

Old November 24th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default What is the hand signal for 'I am going to make a U turn' ?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122
Old November 24th 18, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or cycling.

Old November 24th 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:02:49 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or cycling.

In a car I would put the right indicator on.
On a bike it would depend on the circumstances. The problem is some motorists are so horrified at the prospect of having to wait for a cyclist that they accelerate when a cyclist uses a right arm signal.

Old November 24th 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 4:11:02 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Pillock.

Reasoned argument, logically presented.
Excellent (If you are still in kindergarten).

Old November 24th 18, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 24/11/2018 10:10, MrCheerful wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

QUOTE:
Joe Guy, the 16-year-old cyclist from Wolverhampton who was killed in a
collision with a van in May 2017, died in a “genuinely tragic accident”,
a coroner’s inquest into his death has concluded....

The inquest heard how the van driver, who did not attend the hearing,
was preparing to overtake Guy when the collision took place, with Guy
moving out from the left-hand side of the road in an apparent attempt to
make a U-turn.
ENDQUOTE

Irrespective of the circumstances of the incident, it is always
distressing to hear of the death of someone of this age in a road
accident. I think back to when we had teenage offspring and how we might
have reacted. Loss like this must be absolutely unbearable.
Old November 24th 18, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or cycling.

In a car I would put the right indicator on.
On a bike it would depend on the circumstances. The problem is some
motorists are so horrified at the prospect of having to wait for a
cyclist that they accelerate when a cyclist uses a right arm signal.

"In a car I would put the right indicator on".

Pillock.

I dunno so much (on this occasion).

That's what I would do too.
Old November 24th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or
cycling.

In a car I would put the right indicator on.
On a bike it would depend on the circumstances. The problem is some
motorists are so horrified at the prospect of having to wait for a
cyclist that they accelerate when a cyclist uses a right arm signal.

"In a car I would put the right indicator on".

Pillock.

I dunno so much (on this occasion).

That's what I would do too.

I would not do a uturn unless it was Very safe to do so.

Old November 24th 18, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or
cycling.

In a car I would put the right indicator on.
On a bike it would depend on the circumstances. The problem is some
motorists are so horrified at the prospect of having to wait for a
cyclist that they accelerate when a cyclist uses a right arm signal.

"In a car I would put the right indicator on".

Pillock.

I dunno so much (on this occasion).

That's what I would do too.

I would not do a uturn unless it was Very safe to do so.

I expect that that kid just didn't consider the possibility that there
was a vehicle coming along the road behind him. I have seen a car-driver
do the same (and be hit broadside by a police car which had overtaken me).

A U-turn is entirely practical and safe if performed properly.
Old November 25th 18, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ncludes-365122

I don't think there is such a hand signal whilst driving or cycling.

In a car I would put the right indicator on.
On a bike it would depend on the circumstances. The problem is some
motorists are so horrified at the prospect of having to wait for a
cyclist that they accelerate when a cyclist uses a right arm signal.

"In a car I would put the right indicator on".

Pillock.

I dunno so much (on this occasion).

That's what I would do too.

So what did this mean:

"a motorist travelling in the opposite direction had seen Guy indicating
to the van driver that he was intending to turn around, "

I would assume that the bicycle had no indicators, therefore, what is
the hand signal for 'I am going to make a U turn' ???

and why would anyone of any age assume that other traffic has to stop
for them to make a U turn?

even the cyclist's dad seems to think that there is a signal for a U turn:

"However Guy’s father told the hearing that his son was an experienced
cyclist and would have known which hand signals to use."

It is odd that after all these years of rding, driving, instructing,
advanced and Police training that I have never come across a U turn signal.