Vancouver riders?

Old July 10th 03, 04:44 PM
MJ Carter

Default Vancouver riders?

Hi, I haven't posted here for several years now (not because I've
stopped mtbing mind ), used to post as Del (hehe some good flame
wars about various things, I guess I've grown up a bit since then
though). I remember from back then there
were quite a few posters on here from the Vancouver area.

I'm leaving the UK for Vancouver on a BUNAC (British Universites North
America Club) program in about 5 or 6 days (I haven't booked my flight
yet). Basically I'll be arriving with just my backpack, and a 12 month
temporary work permit, and I'll have to find somewhere to live for the
next few months, and get a job. Will probably be staying until late
sept or early oct (planning some travelling before I fly out (from
Toronto) though.

I was wondering if anyone from the Vancouver area could give me some
pointers on a few things:

1. I can't take my bike with me, because of the nature of my visit,
though I'm planning to buy a cheap second hand one for road use, maybe
cycling to where I find a job etc. Can anyone reccomend a good place
to get a cheap second hand rigid MTB/hybrid?

2. I'll also want to sample some of the famous north shore trails etc,
but I guess I'll need to hire a proper MTB for that - is there
anywhere I can hire a decent bike from? Also is there any riding
groups etc I can tag along with?

3. Can anyone reccomend a CHEAP place to stay for my first couple of
nights until I can find a room to let, that'll have vacancies if I
just turn up? Cheaper = better, I'm having to borrow about £1000 for
this trip as it is

4. If anyone knows somewhere decent where I might get work, would much
appreciate the info

5. Any misc tips/advice for someone in my position?

TIA, cheers for any help

reply to group or e-mail (remove LETTUCE
from the e-mail)

cheers again

Old July 12th 03, 06:25 PM
Johnny Canuck

(MJ Carter) wrote in
om:

[...]

I would try a consignment shop called SportsJunkies on West 2nd in
Vancouver. If you're not looking at high end they usually have some
great deals. I've seen some Rocky's and Norco's in there for pretty good
prices. Otherwise, I would try the buy and sell board at NSMB.com:
http://www.nsmb.com/buy_sell/ or the Buy and Sell online bikes category:
http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?w...1091&r=9&i=410

I sold my Norco hardtail through the Buy and Sell online.

If you do decide to go new ... I would suggest Dizzy's:
http://www.dizzycycles.com/ (I bought my new Rocky FS from them), or John
Henry's: http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/ or the Cove:
http://www.covebikeshop.com/ or Steeds: http://www.steedcycles.com

2. I'll also want to sample some of the famous north shore trails etc,
but I guess I'll need to hire a proper MTB for that - is there
anywhere I can hire a decent bike from? Also is there any riding
groups etc I can tag along with?

As far as group rides ... I don't have a lot of info because I mostly ride
with friends. Some of the bike shops organize rides. John Henry's is
located failry close to Mt. Seymour and has some riding clubs:
http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/pedalspintsrideclub.htm

I don't know about anywhere in Vancouver to rent a DH bike (I know you can
do it in Whistler ... but not sure about Vancouver). The rental places I
know are mostly for pavement touring rides. I would suggest asking some
North Shore LBS's for advice/

3. Can anyone reccomend a CHEAP place to stay for my first couple of
nights until I can find a room to let, that'll have vacancies if I
just turn up? Cheaper = better, I'm having to borrow about £1000 for
this trip as it is

I echo the other post about the youth hostel. As far as looking for places
to rent a room ... check out the online classifieds from the two daily
papers at http://homes.canada.com/vancouver/br...y.aspx?id=3134

4. If anyone knows somewhere decent where I might get work, would much
appreciate the info

Not sure what experience you've had and what your work status would be ...
but this is a tourist city and if can work in a restaurant or bar ... you
should have little trouble. Also check out job vacancies in the online
classifieds link I gave for accomodations.

5. Any misc tips/advice for someone in my position?

Enjoy the city. Can't believe I get to live in a place where I can bike and
ski all on the same day!!

Old July 13th 03, 08:52 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article 1,
Johnny Canuck wrote:

(MJ Carter) wrote in
om:

[...]

Call me crazy ("Ryan, you're crazy!") but if you've got the float, you
could buy a decent used bike from some place like Sports Junkies and
then re-consign the thing on the way out of town. You might not make a
sale and get your cash back for a few months, but you could come out
about even on the deal, or at worst down a hundred or two.

The Sports Junkies in Port Moody is an overlooked gem: they have a wide
variety of used MTBs ranging from $50 gas-pipe tubing monstrosities to
$2000 late-model DH rigs. I think their selection may be better than the
Vancouver store.

Also is there any riding groups etc I can tag along with?

As far as group rides ... I don't have a lot of info because I mostly ride
with friends. Some of the bike shops organize rides. John Henry's is
located failry close to Mt. Seymour and has some riding clubs:
http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/pedalspintsrideclub.htm

The NSMBA has some twoonie rides that would be a great place to see some
XC riding, Vancouver-style (trans: brutal and technical, and you still
have to climb!). I think there's one left this year.

www.nsmba.bc.ca

The Douglas Enhanced Downhill Club is an all-skills club I ride with.
Membership is super-cheap at $30, and they run two rides per week on
everything from XC to Urban to freeride to Whistler. You won't be out of
place with a hardtail on their rides; they don't look at me funny when I
drag my poor Kona Kilauea out onto the trails.

www.freewebs.com/dedc/

I don't know about anywhere in Vancouver to rent a DH bike (I know you can
do it in Whistler ... but not sure about Vancouver). The rental places I
know are mostly for pavement touring rides. I would suggest asking some
North Shore LBS's for advice

Hm. If you're truly enamoured of a downhill experience, Whistler's
Downhill Park might be the easiest turn-key setup. Make your way to
Whistler (a couple of hours out of town), rent bike and get lift ticket,
ride DH trails all day.

That said, a decent hardtail will get you down most of the trails you're
likely to want to look at.

I echo the other post about the youth hostel. As far as looking for places
to rent a room ... check out the online classifieds from the two daily
papers at http://homes.canada.com/vancouver/br...y.aspx?id=3134

No no no! Best deals are always on the campus notice boards. You only
need room for your bed and your bike, right? Go to the college or uni
campus nearest your ideal base camp, and work outwards. The big ones in
the Lower Mainland are UBC, SFU, Langara, Vancouver Community College,
BCIT, and Douglas College. If you want on the Shore, look at Capilano or
Emily Carr.

4. If anyone knows somewhere decent where I might get work, would much
appreciate the info

Not sure what experience you've had and what your work status would be ...
but this is a tourist city and if can work in a restaurant or bar ... you
should have little trouble. Also check out job vacancies in the online
classifieds link I gave for accomodations.

5. Any misc tips/advice for someone in my position?

Enjoy the city. Can't believe I get to live in a place where I can bike and
ski all on the same day!!

Shop for produce on Commercial Drive or anywhere East of there on
Hastings. Cheap and decent. Get a library card, and check out a book
called "Vancouver: Secrets of the City", which consists of all kinds of
entertaining gossip about Vancouver, like which playground in Stanley
Park has a wall made of recycled tombstones, How the zero address of all
Vancouver streets is at the long-gone location of the place of business
of Vancouver's most notorious taverner ("Gassy Jack" Deighton), and how
the Steam Clock, lovely as it is, is an electric-powered fraud. You will
also be able to find several very decent local guides to road and trail
riding in Vancouver. And what could be nicer than that? Contact me if
you want more gossipy info, like how you can afford to eat at Kitto, a
really great downtown Japanese joint, since it barely costs more than
McDonald's.

TIA, cheers for any help

reply to group or e-mail (remove LETTUCE
from the e-mail)

Let me know via e-mail if you need any further info.

--
Ryan Cousineau,
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
Old July 13th 03, 05:14 PM