Cycling is quickest for commute.

Old June 9th 11, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_10_]

Default Cycling is quickest for commute.

Simon Mason wrote:

I shower at home and don't need to shower at work at all.
I also don't need to rush to the coffee machine and spend 10-15
minutes drinking it to jump start my body, as I am ready for work
instantly.

God, you must be dreadful to work with.

Old June 9th 11, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_10_]

Partac wrote:
I shower at home and don't need to shower at work at all.

You might think you don't, but others will have a very different
view...................,

I suspect that's not the most relevant of the five senses.
Old June 9th 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Partac" wrote in message

I shower at home and don't need to shower at work at all.

You might think you don't, but others will have a very different
view...................,

That's probably why his colleagues rush out of the office to the
coffee machine when they see him coming.

if the wind is behind him then they don't even have to see him.

Old June 9th 11, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Kim Bolton

Doug wrote:

"20mph is seven times safer than 30mph".

If that is true, then 10 mph must be even safer, 5 mph safer than
that, and perhaps 0 mph the safest.

Stay at home...YKIMS.

--
from
Kim Bolton
Old June 9th 11, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ste[_2_]

On Jun 9, 8:49*am, Doug wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:45*am, "Ret." wrote:

Doug wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:00 am, "Ret." wrote:
Doug wrote:
And it creates much less harm too.

"Cyclist have decisively beaten other modes of transport in a
commuter challenge run by Cyclox, the cycling campaign for Oxford.

The annual race has previously tested a number of routes into the
city centre.

This year participants made a seven-mile journey from Eynsham to the
Radcliffe Camera.

Cyclists times ranged from 21 to 35 minutes. The quickest car
commuter made the trip in 44 minutes, three minutes quicker than
runner Alan Ward.

The fastest commuter bus journey was made in a time of 47 minutes
and 40 seconds.
'Queues of traffic'

Oxford's first lord mayor from the Green Party, Elise Benjamin, took
part in the challenge, which she completed in 34 minutes.

James Styring, Cyclox chair, said: "On a lovely sunny day like this
there is absolutely no reason to sit on the A40 in long queues of
traffic.

"Get on your bike and cycle. It's good for you and it will be a lot
quicker." "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-13695060

'On a lovely sunny day like this...'

When was that?

For every lovely sunny day in the UK - you have a month of abysmal
weather when cycling would be uncomfortable and unpleasant.

You exaggerate.

Not by a lot.

Obviously, if you are as ill-equipped to the outdoors

as you seem to be it will be naturally be uncomfortable and
unpleasant. That's what car-cosseting does to people. Presumably they
never ever encounter even a single raindrop as they rush from one
enclosed area to another.

It's not a question of being ill-equipped - it's a question of preferring to
drive along in total comfort - kept warm and dry in bad weather - and cool
in hot weather, rather than being cold and wet or hot and sweaty, pedalling
a cycle along.

In other words you prefer a 'soft' lifestyle.

You are also considerably safer inside a car than you are when exposed and
barely protected, on a pedal cycle.

That much is true and we can put it down to the laws which do not
allow for, or care about, cyclist vulnerability.

As far as I can see, one of the worst measures for "cyclist
vulnerability" has been the proliferation of "cycle lanes" that are
just painted onto the existing carriageway, especially where the
resulting narrowing of the main carriageway means that cars must
routinely intrude into the cycle lane.
Old June 9th 11, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Kim Bolton

Doug wrote:

That much is true and we can put it down to the laws which do not
allow for, or care about, cyclist vulnerability.

Have you read CTC's brochure on the subject?

"Unfortunately, many organisations perceive cycling as dangerous, and
perpetuate that perception through their actions. For example, by
treating it as a risky activity requiring special clothes and
equipment, even well intentioned efforts to promote cycling may
actually discourage people by playing on people’s fears.

In fact cycling isn’t as risky as commonly thought, with just one
death every 32 million kilometres – that’s over 800 times around the
world. Indeed not cycling is more risky than cycling: cyclists on
average live two years longer than non-cyclists and take 15% fewer
days off work through illness."

Perhaps you could take their message on board.

--
from
Kim Bolton
Old June 9th 11, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Ste[_2_]

On Jun 9, 9:09*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:45*am, "Ret." wrote:

It's not a question of being ill-equipped - it's a question of preferring to
drive along in total comfort - kept warm and dry in bad weather - and cool
in hot weather, rather than being cold and wet or hot and sweaty, pedalling
a cycle along.

Nothing worthwhile in life comes without putting in the hard work.

Indeed, which is why it's better to take twice the time and travel in
a car, rather than take the "easy" way and cycle to work.
Old June 9th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bugbear

Doug wrote:
This year participants made a seven-mile journey from Eynsham to the
Radcliffe Camera.

Cyclists times ranged from 21 to 35 minutes.

That's not a commute. That's a time trial.

7 miles in 21 minutes is (neatly) 20 MPH.

BugBear
Old June 9th 11, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
bod

On 09/06/2011 10:36, bugbear wrote:
Doug wrote:
This year participants made a seven-mile journey from Eynsham to the
Radcliffe Camera.

Cyclists times ranged from 21 to 35 minutes.

That's not a commute. That's a time trial.

7 miles in 21 minutes is (neatly) 20 MPH.

BugBear

And you'd have to jump every red light to even stand a chance of
averaging 20 mph :-)
Old June 9th 11, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_10_]

On Jun 9, 8:45 am, "Ret." wrote:

It's not a question of being ill-equipped - it's a question of
preferring to drive along in total comfort - kept warm and dry in
bad weather - and cool in hot weather, rather than being cold and
wet or hot and sweaty, pedalling a cycle along.

Nothing worthwhile in life comes without putting in the hard work.

Indeed, which is why it's better to take twice the time and travel in
a car, rather than take the "easy" way and cycle to work.

Actually, I thought the comment "Nothing worthwhile in life comes without
putting in the hard work" referred directly to a car.

Perhaps if cyclists worked harder, they could get one too.

The Cycling Commute Gets Chic Claire Petersky General 26 May 15th 06 02:16 PM
Commute Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 5 October 21st 05 05:16 AM
Quickest tire change yet Checkernuts Unicycling 6 July 17th 05 09:21 PM
how far is your commute Jon_H UK 40 January 24th 05 11:54 AM
Quickest Release Cleats? Edward Holt Mountain Biking 13 November 12th 03 11:16 AM