Air Quality

Old September 17th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Air Quality

On 9/17/2020 12:37 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 10:05:13 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:03:37 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

https://aqicn.org/city/usa/oregon/portland/ It varies by the hour. We're
hazardous but trending toward unhealthy. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go for an unhealthy
ride this evening. It may even get to "unhealthy for sensitive groups" around
6:00 -- and then back to hazardous.
-- Jay Beattie.

Thursday morning (9/17/2020), Portland air still looks really bad:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#9.14/45.4645/-122.6204
The hourly variations in smoke levels seem to be about 2.5 times.
Click on any of the purple dots and you'll get an AQI history graph
for the previous four days.

Satellite photo still shows considerable smoke over most of the left
coast:
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/conus_band.php?sat=G17&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Even Indiana is seeing some smoke:
https://gispub.epa.gov/airnow/

SF Bay coastal area were fairly clear yesterday, but have become worse
today:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#8.87/37.3508/-122.0335
Calif Sierras are as bad as Portland:
https://www.purpleair.com/map?opt=1/i/mAQI/a10/cC0#6.89/38.138/-120.995

At AQI = 250 or worse, I would think twice about doing any riding.
When we were running AQI = 150, I was coughing a little, had a
continuous mild headache, was regularly clearing my sinuses, and was
using eyedrops to reduce burning eye problems.

Yesterday I took a short ride out to Alameda and back. The air was as good as you could want.

The map of West Coast air quality in my newspaper yesterday
noted that depending on local wind speed and direction some
adjacent areas have marked air quality differences.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 17th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Because I've getting up at o'dark thirty to watch the Tour de France, I haven't been getting sufficient sleep. So I go out for a ride and do dumb things like running into that tree. I think that it got knocked over by the gardening on the golf course adjacent to the bike path. But I should have actually looked up sooner rather than musing about that ground squirrel. I did almost the same thing about 5 years ago, on a route I ride that is always empty of parked cars I didn't even look up until I hit the back of a parked old pickup truck. I hit the brakes and came almost to a stop before hitting it. But this time I was riding about 18 mph and hit that damn tree before I could do anything.

Anyway, I did a short local ride and forgot to turn the Garmin on for the first mile and a half. It had 1,800 feet of climbing. Two weeks ago I did it when I was really feeling like crap. I felt like pretty good today and noticed something I haven't had for all of my last 10 rides or so - I would be breathing pretty hard on a steep section and when I hit the top, I would take a deep breath and almost be revived.

When I got back from tis ride I'm not tired other than the lack of sleep. My average speed was 0.1 mph faster than two weeks ago. That doesn't sound like much until you think that the climbing is pretty steep and very slow. And it was garbage day on Skyline so I kept getting held back by garbage trucks. In one spot it was a very narrow road and I barely had room to squeeze through and 2/3rds of the way down the truck there was a large stick in the way that I didn't have room tp go around and had to come to a halt and fall against the cliff face and wait for the truck to coast down the hill enough that I could get moving again. A average of 9.8 mph vs 9.7 mph was a whole lot of speed difference on the course.

Again I was attempting to see any effects of gusting winds on the aero wheels. The road surface would change my course. And when I was leaning against a strong side wind and a car came by and cut off that wind, I would swerve a little from having to come suddenly upright, but there was no changing of course from the effects of wind on wide wheels.
Old September 19th 20, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 10:05:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Yet another smoke map:
https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html
In the box on the left, click:
HRRR: Near Surface Smoke
Fire Detections
It should look something like this:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...2020-09-18.jpg

More smoke links:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...ty%20Links.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 19th 20, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Yet another smoke map:
https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html
In the box on the left, click:
HRRR: Near Surface Smoke
Fire Detections
It should look something like this:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...2020-09-18.jpg

More smoke links:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...ty%20Links.htm

Regarding Fire/Smoke Map 13 Sep 2020, what are the red dots?

There's one in Portage WI. I was just there and any massive
conflagrations were well disguised. There's also a red dot
in Chicago where my daughter shared beach snapshots from a
clear dawn, no fires visible.

Old September 20th 20, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Yet another smoke map:
https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/index.html
In the box on the left, click:
HRRR: Near Surface Smoke
Fire Detections
It should look something like this:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...2020-09-18.jpg

More smoke links:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jef...ty%20Links.htm

Regarding Fire/Smoke Map 13 Sep 2020, what are the red dots?

Fire detections also known as hot spots as seen from satellites using
the VIIRS and MODIS data. If you uncheck "Fire Detections" on the
left menu, the red dots will disappear. Here's a better view of the
satellite fire data:
https://firms2.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/
Yes, Africa and South America are on fire.

There's one in Portage WI. I was just there and any massive
conflagrations were well disguised. There's also a red dot
in Chicago where my daughter shared beach snapshots from a
clear dawn, no fires visible.

The satellite imaging is sensitive enough to detect a trash fires,
gasoline refinery gas flaring, volcanoes, large reflective surfaces,
solar power farms, factory rooftops, etc. See the FIRMS FAQ for more
detail than you probably want to read:
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/faq/firms-faq
See the section titled "What caveats should be considered when using
active fire data from FIRMS?" Also, super heated smoke plumes:
https://landweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/NPP_QA/displayCase.cgi?esdt=NPP_AF&caseNum=PM_NPP_VAFIP_1 8215&caseLocation=cases_data&action=small

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 20th 20, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I assume the red dot at Portage is the permanent
smoke plume from their huge power plant.

Old September 21st 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Y'er welcome. I didn't know that there was a power plant in Portage,
WI or I would have mentioned that it's probably a permanent anomaly.
https://earthdata.nasa.gov/earth-observation-data/near-real-time/firms/c6-mcd14dl
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?l=MODIS_Terra_Thermal_Anomalies_All(hidden),MODIS _Aqua_Thermal_Anomalies_All(hidden),VIIRS_SNPP_The rmal_Anomalies_375m_Night,VIIRS_SNPP_Thermal_Anoma lies_375m_Day,MODIS_Combined_Thermal_Anomalies_All ,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidde n),Coastlines,MODIS_Aqua_SurfaceReflectance_Bands1 43,MODIS_Aqua_SurfaceReflectance_Bands721,MODIS_Te rra_SurfaceReflectance_Bands143,MODIS_Terra_Surfac eReflectance_Bands721,VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflecta nce_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflecta nce_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflect ance_TrueColor
If you get a blank map, go backwards one day. Thermal anomalies tend
to look like a fire 24x7 365 days per year. In the lower left of the
NASA Worldview map, select "1 year" for the duration (above the
forward/back arrows). Anything that's been "burning" for a year in
the same location is probably an anomaly:
https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?v=-101.34079371668064,37.96593446436127,-79.65964639640275,50.39061888830501&t=2020-09-20-T20%3A00%3A00Z&l=MODIS_Terra_Thermal_Anomalies_All ,MODIS_Aqua_Thermal_Anomalies_All,VIIRS_SNPP_Therm al_Anomalies_375m_Night,VIIRS_SNPP_Thermal_Anomali es_375m_Day,MODIS_Combined_Thermal_Anomalies_All,R eference_Labels,Reference_Features,Coastlines,MODI S_Aqua_SurfaceReflectance_Bands143,MODIS_Aqua_Surf aceReflectance_Bands721(hidden),MODIS_Terra_Surfac eReflectance_Bands143(hidden),MODIS_Terra_SurfaceR eflectance_Bands721(hidden),VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedRe flectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedRe flectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedR eflectance_TrueColor(hidden)Some
The red dots seem to match the lat-long locations of the various
Wisconsin power plants:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_Wisconsin
The plant in Portage is at 43.486111, -89.420278 which might be the
red dot below the "Wisconsin" label on the map.

Incidentally, if you click on "Add Layers" you can add smoke and land
details to the map.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Chainring quality Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 1 September 12th 10 03:50 AM
quality John Forrest Tomlinson Racing 8 August 10th 08 12:00 AM
Better quality back rim [email protected] General 5 April 15th 08 03:32 AM
Better quality back rim Tom Sherman[_2_] Techniques 0 April 14th 08 12:02 AM
FS Top quality [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 11th 07 09:38 PM