New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

Old September 29th 20, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default New Tactical Cycling Maneuver

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 22:33:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/28/2020 7:18 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 10:52:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/28/2020 8:44 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Mr Stoner designed the AR-15 specifically as a civilian sporting arm,
always and only, and so they remain down to today.
"Civilian sporting arm." Please define that. What are its defining
features, and why are they different from (say) a classic hunting rifle?

But what is "classic"? Here is a number of photos of what were
considered as "classic" in years gone by.
http://micksguns.com/antique-muzzle-loading-long-guns/

And yes, you are going to say, "That's not what I meant" but they were
all "classic" in their time. The point is that "classic" is not a
specific ideal, it changes with the times.

Actually, I have two friends who hunt using similar guns. They somehow
take deer, coyotes etc. without having to blast off a dozen shots within
a minute.

Who _does_ need to fire more than a couple shots within a minute? Why?

I thought, when I advised you that practically every gun made will
fire faster then 10 - 15 rounds a minute, you argued that wasn't what
you were talking about and here you go again talking about firing
rates.

By the way, you might want to look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ
it shows a chap with a flintlock Brown Bess musket that went into
service in the English army in 1722 firing 3 shots in 46 seconds.

But of course the Brown Bess was a military weapon so I guess rapid
fire is acceptable in that case but it does make your "couple shots
within a minute" sound a bit slow.

By the way, would you care to furnish information on the firearm that
will fire no faster then "a couple of shots a minute"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 29th 20, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 23:10:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/28/2020 5:44 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 9/28/2020 12:41 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 20:35:26 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 10:25:20 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 17:50:36 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:
But as you know, I don't condemn all rifles. I'm very much in favor of
hunting. And I'll note yet again that hunters, target shooters, etc.
have no real need of a gun that fires more than five to ten rounds in a
minute.
But Frank, a legal AR-whatever fires one shot for each time the
trigger is pulled and Ed McGivern set a record on September 13, 1932,
shooting five rounds from a double-action revolver at 15 feet in 2/5
of a second. Note this was a .38 S&W Special, which was made in 1917.

John, you have so much trouble understanding my point, I suspect it
might be deliberate.

I know there are countless guns that fire faster than my proposed
limit. I know it's considered normal. But I'm saying it
shouldn't be for civilian use. The detriments to society far
outweigh the benefits - because, really, what are the
benefits to getting ten rounds shot in a minute?

Frank, it is obvious that you just don't know what you are talking
about with your "rounds per minute" theory.
Which I have been trying to tell you.

A Smith & Wesson revolver, first built in the late 1800's will fire
faster, I even referenced a record set in the 1930's with a pistol
made in 1917 that fired at a rate of 750 rounds per minute.

We've been through this before. I'm not talking about firing rates in
terms of how quickly you can pull a trigger six or eight times.

I'm talking about how many rounds can you fire within one
minute. Start a stopwatch, shoot away, and if you can fire more than
ten times (or hell, more than five times), there is no practical use
for that capability except to kill other human beings.

You persist in not understanding my point. You're a reasonably
intelligent guy, so your misunderstanding must be deliberate.

John's point is that a hypothetical firearms inspector armed with your
proposed law could fire *any* repeating firearm at an illegal rate, and
quite possibly some single shots as well. If your intent is to outlaw
all repeating firearms you should just say so, instead of beating around
the bush.

I know that's John's point. I'm introducing what I think is a new point
to the gun debates: More than (say) five or ten shots within one minute
is not really useful. On balance, that capability is detrimental to
society.

I know many if not most guns can exceed that. I've shot handguns and
rifles that could, although I don't recall doing that myself. The best I
can say in favor of the capability is it could let you get a bit more
practice when target shooting.

Balance that against people bursting into a living room, church or
school and firing round after round at innocent people. Balance it
against rival groups of thugs shooting at each other in the night and
hitting other residents with stray shots, because they have so many
shots it doesn't matter to them if most go astray.

Should we ban such guns? How about only shooting rounds more deadly than
a garden variety 22LR? I think it would be a good idea, but politically
impossible.

But I think people should think realistically about the real benefits
and detriments of certain common firearm capabilities.

There you go again. I had a distant uncle that used to hunt white tail
deer with a .22 and there is on the Internet a test of the .22 on a
freshly killed deer head, with pictures
https://tinyurl.com/y6gnzvrf
In one side and out the other, hardly the innocent benign caliber that
you seem to think it is.

And, I have read that the .22 was the preferred weapon of the Israeli
Mossad in the "Wrath of God" operation.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 29th 20, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/28/2020 9:30 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/28/2020 11:12 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/28/2020 9:52 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/28/2020 8:44 AM, AMuzi wrote:

Mr Stoner designed the AR-15 specifically as a civilian
sporting arm, always and only, and so they remain down to
today.
"Civilian sporting arm." Please define that. What are its
defining features, and why are they different from (say) a
classic hunting rifle?

A 'classic' hunting rifle would be 'not the latest thing'

A good example of 'classic' would be Eugene Stoner's AR-15
from the 1950s for example.

You're avoiding the question.

Here are some highly rated hunting rifles:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...ing-big-woods/

https://squirrelhuntingjournal.com/t...rifles-budget/

I can link to more. But most "sportsmen" (the term hunters
often use for themselves) do not consider guns with combat
features to be the best tool for hunting. It thus seems
inaccurate at best to consider an AR to be a "civilian
sporting arm." Unless the "sport" is armed combat.

AR-15 has no giggle switch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 29th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

So in your perfect world, when two guys 'burst into your
living room' your would simply ask the second one to slowly
count to twenty while your magic pistol software resets itself:

https://abc7chicago.com/waukegan-new...mpted/6506524/

Great plan, Frank, but you put the others in your home at
risk that way.

Old September 29th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

But it seemed that you were going beyond that, and advocating a *legal
ban* on firearms that *could potentially* fire more than (say) five or
ten shots within one minute. Doing so in a way that does not entail a
ban on literally any repeating firearm seems impossible.

I know many if not most guns can exceed that. I've shot handguns and
rifles that could, although I don't recall doing that myself. The best
I can say in favor of the capability is it could let you get a bit
more practice when target shooting.

Balance that against people bursting into a living room, church or
school and firing round after round at innocent people. Balance it
against rival groups of thugs shooting at each other in the night and
hitting other residents with stray shots, because they have so many
shots it doesn't matter to them if most go astray.

So you're in favor of gangsters and assassins making every shot count?

Should we ban such guns? How about only shooting rounds more deadly
than a garden variety 22LR? I think it would be a good idea, but
politically impossible.

*More* deadly? That is an interesting idea. Being shot by a .22LR is
nothing to sneeze at.

But I think people should think realistically about the real benefits
and detriments of certain common firearm capabilities.

Thinking is great. Turning that into laws that actually do what you
expect is hard. I don't think it's much like engineering a product,
where most of your customers actually want the product to work. Maybe
it's a bit more like being a professor, many of whose "customers" are
trying mightily to avoid actually learning anything.

Old September 29th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/28/2020 11:58 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 22:30:22 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Here are some highly rated hunting rifles:
https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...ing-big-woods/

https://squirrelhuntingjournal.com/t...rifles-budget/

I can link to more. But most "sportsmen" (the term hunters often use for
themselves) do not consider guns with combat features to be the best
tool for hunting. It thus seems inaccurate at best to consider an AR to
be a "civilian sporting arm." Unless the "sport" is armed combat.

Well, I suppose that it depends on what "sportsmen" means. After all
the AR type firearm is extensively used in target shooting. Or aren't
target shooters considered sportsmen?

Come on, John. You said you shot competitively, right? If so, you know
about target shooting competitions.

Given a free choice of gun type, you can't pretend a high level
competitor would use an AR rifle in a match. It's the wrong tool for the
job.

https://www.snipercentral.com/ruger-...t-full-review/

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...es/x-bolt.html

There's lots of target shooting with ARs only because lots of guys think
ARs are cool, so that's what they buy. It's a fashion thing, as
senseless as most other fashion things.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 20, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

No, sorry, you're remembering wrong. Or perhaps still confused.

You were fixating on instantaneous firing rate - like a guy with a six
shot revolver who can pull the trigger six times in three seconds. You
were saying "See? That would be 120 rounds per minute!" My response was
that it would NOT be 120 rounds _in_ one minute. For anyone who hadn't
practiced like crazy, reloading would consume most of the minute.

So who _does_ really need to fire more than a couple shots within a
minute? Who _does_ really need to fire more than five to ten shots in a
minute?

By the way, you might want to look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMbxZ1k9NQ
it shows a chap with a flintlock Brown Bess musket that went into
service in the English army in 1722 firing 3 shots in 46 seconds.

I've seen that sort of demonstration live. So is that your answer? "The
person who needs to shoot lots of shots in one minute is a soldier
trying to kill other soldiers."

If so, I agree! But Walter "Rambo" Mitty who plays combat games on his
mom's computer doesn't need that capability in real life. And providing
it is detrimental to society.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

BTW, my phrasing was bad, although I think you understood my meaning. It
should have been "How about banning only those guns rapidly shooting
rounds more deadly than a garden variety 22LR?"

But to you and John: Please! I understand a 22 can kill, and I never
said otherwise. However, other rounds _are_ much more deadly, and are
much more frequently chosen when someone is intent on man-killing
capability. Do you really doubt that??

For target shooting or small game hunting, a 22 works fine. If you feel
you MUST have a gun that can shoot fast, I'd say buy a classic 22 rifle,
maybe with a tubular magazine. It's much less likely to get stolen and
sold to some street thug.

But I think people should think realistically about the real benefits
and detriments of certain common firearm capabilities.

Thinking is great. Turning that into laws that actually do what you
expect is hard.

I understand that. But it begins with the thinking.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 20, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

quite possibly some single shots as well.Â* If your intent
[...]

The greatest risk of getting shot within one's home comes from having a
gun in that home. Home invasions don't come close to comparing.

But if someone did attempt to break down your front door and you had a
slow-firing gun - um... on your hip? Or right beside your reliner?
(Really??) - what would happen if you put one round through the door? Do
you seriously think the guy would keep kicking? What if you followed it
up a second later with another round? Then a third?

The only way that would not deter an invader would be if he was carrying
the type of guns I argue against. And the only way such a person would
be barging in would be you had a big drug selling operation in your
home, or perhaps had an arsenal he wanted to steal.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 20, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I have grave doubts that you have any friends.