eBike News

Old September 26th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default eBike News

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 7:40:14 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 9/23/2020 1:52 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The dead people are interesting there, too, Henry Weinhardt and his
family, https://tinyurl.com/yxbqyqsc Virgil Earp (Wyatt's brother)
and some
others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil..._Headstone.jpg
Like most things in the West, it is not nearly as old as things in
the East. I'm sure you guys have dead people going way back.

We do. This is the southeast corner of the Connecticut Western
Reserve, the portion of Ohio "reserved" or retained by Connecticut
when the new United States decided to settle conflicting claims to
"western" land by saying it belonged to the federal government and
would eventually become new states. We're "Town One, Range One" of the
Western Reserve and one of the first places settled in Ohio. One of
our local cemeteries has guys who fought in the Revolutionary War.

Not long ago I found myself in center Concord, MA. Needing water, and
having found the fountains at Walden pond to be out of service, I went
to the visitor center. Being in a very crunchy town this facility has a
map of local water fountains so that visitors can limit their use of
ecociding disposable water bottles. Naturally their own water fountain
was disabled, perhaps as an anti-covid measure.

So I went to Sleepy Hollow cemetery, a few blocks away. Who knew that
Washington Irving didn't make it up? Their water taps are reliable and
refreshing, and I availed myself.

Like most cemeteries in New England, it's built on a hilly site,
presumably one that no one wanted to farm. Lots of literary names on
the stones.

The funny thing about America is that everybody and his great aunt Mabel
think it's natural that their remains should take up space in a cemetery
somewhere *forever*. In places with more history this is obviously just
silly. One has to be really famous to camp on a burial plot for more
than a few hundred years.

--

Rodney Dangerfield in the movie Caddyshack. "Cemeteries and golf courses are the worst waste of land in America." Or something like that.

My ebike is legal! Doug[_3_] UK 118 April 27th 11 10:52 PM
ebike build Wes Newell General 0 February 16th 11 12:03 AM
ebike forum. chewbacca Australia 0 January 29th 08 07:40 PM
I want to buy ebike kit (europe) Rainer Wallen General 1 April 10th 05 06:58 PM
ebike kit Rainer Wallen Social Issues 0 April 10th 05 12:57 PM