More bicyclists behaving badly

Old September 20th 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default More bicyclists behaving badly

On 9/19/2020 7:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2020 8:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I meant to include a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/u...-arrested.html

Right I'm familiar. Meanwhile, same story different players:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/feds-...-bribery-case/

I don't doubt that there's plenty of underhanded action.
Have you heard about the huge bribery scandal in Ohio,
where the power company shelled out millions in bribes to
get a law passed that something like 80% of the population
hated? Then money was spent to buy off the firms that
would otherwise have helped organize a referendum to
repeal, a referendum which certainly would have passed.
The publicity defending that bill was the most dishonest
thing I've seen outside a Trump news conference - e.g.
"The Chinese are against this bill because they want to
take over Ohio's electric grid!" in expensive TV ads and
in flyers mailed to every household.

The Speaker of the House got arrested when the FBI got
enough evidence, but the legislators (many elected by use
of those bribes and donations) are still discussing
whether or not to repeal the law. The effects of the bribe
money and related campaign donations are far reaching,
designed to cement the Republican control of the legislature.

And yet: The Ohio Bicycle Federation has succeeded in
getting several very good laws passed for Ohio bicyclists.
That's without using bribe money, campaign donations or
any dishonesty at all.

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine
suit. But all legislators are not evil.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 20th 20, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 12:26:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2020 7:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2020 8:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I meant to include a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/u...-arrested.html

Right I'm familiar. Meanwhile, same story different players:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/feds-...-bribery-case/

Oddly, the bribery resulted in a rate increase to cover modernization of the grid and actually produced some benefit -- at least arguably, and the legislation was vetoed by the governor and then overridden. Reading the complete story leaves one puzzled. Bipartisan support for a piece of legislation promoted by a crook. https://tinyurl.com/y54vb5hv

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 20th 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 3:42:08 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 12:26:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/19/2020 7:33 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/19/2020 8:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I meant to include a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/21/u...-arrested.html

Right I'm familiar. Meanwhile, same story different players:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/feds-...-bribery-case/

Oddly, the bribery resulted in a rate increase to cover modernization of the grid and actually produced some benefit -- at least arguably, and the legislation was vetoed by the governor and then overridden. Reading the complete story leaves one puzzled. Bipartisan support for a piece of legislation promoted by a crook. https://tinyurl.com/y54vb5hv

-- Jay Beattie.

Being from Illinois I can tell you all is not well here in politics. We have Chicago and downstate. The difference is like riding a bike or being pull around in the rear carrier. One is considered legitimate cycling the other just deals with a bike but no riding. In Chicago they ride the bike and we are seeming all pulled along. I like the city but something is wrong.

Deacon Mark
Old September 21st 20, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)
Old September 21st 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:38:18 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 20, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

“Desire” is a bit strong, but some might claim that “deserve” would work in
that sentence.

Old September 21st 20, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

That was the old system.

Now we've 'evolved' such that disaffected employees (lifer
staff & temps thrown together) at the County Clerk's office
get a month or so to edit the results as instructed.

Old September 21st 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

Desire is a bit strong, but some might claim that deserve would work in
that sentence.

I'm not sure, although I am familiar with the quotations of Joseph de
Maistre, but I'm not certain that it accurately describes the
scenario, although certainly if one elects the individual that is
desired one could be said to deserve any and all results there of.

However I much prefer the following and earlier quote, "False opinions
are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter
circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing
what they are doing." as it so aptly describes modern society.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 7:32:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Evil is out there, usually overweight and wearing a fine suit.
But all legislators are not evil.

I agree with the sentiment. If I may tweak your syllogism a bit, I think you meant:
"Not all legislators are evil."
:-)

But, but, but. You all elected them. Or rather a majority of you all
elected them. An impartial observer might tend to believe that you
have the elected officials that you, or at least the majority of you
all, desire.

That was the old system.

Now we've 'evolved' such that disaffected employees (lifer
staff & temps thrown together) at the County Clerk's office
get a month or so to edit the results as instructed.

Don't you have independent referees, or whatever you call them, to
oversee the conduct and legality of the election? I ask as the U.S.
seems to promote that scheme in foreign countries, or is that simply a
matter of "do as I say, not as do I do"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I was reminded of Baltimore's Best. Mr Mencken:
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/h_l_mencken_163179

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what
they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."