Crash at Worlds Women's TT (spoilers)

Old September 25th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Crash at Worlds Women's TT (spoilers)

One of the major competitors at the World Championships Women's TT had a
nasty crash (but expected to "fully recover").

You can see a clear shot in the first 10 seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzFIQmDJYU [video contains race spoilers]

Somehow I think this will be the most-discussed crash since Beloki in
the 2003 Tour.

Question: It appears the front wheel takes a sharp jolt just before
going into an uncontrolled speed wobble. What was the jolt - or what
was the overall cause? Blowout? Broken spoke? Rim failure? Something else?

Discuss.

Mark J.
Old September 25th 20, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 24, 2020 at 9:27:46 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
One of the major competitors at the World Championships Women's TT had a
nasty crash (but expected to "fully recover").

You can see a clear shot in the first 10 seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzFIQmDJYU [video contains race spoilers]

Somehow I think this will be the most-discussed crash since Beloki in
the 2003 Tour.

Question: It appears the front wheel takes a sharp jolt just before
going into an uncontrolled speed wobble. What was the jolt - or what
was the overall cause? Blowout? Broken spoke? Rim failure? Something else?

Discuss.

Mark J.

Yikes. It looks like the rear wheel skipped sideways, and then she oversteered with the narrow aerobars and induced a malignant wobble. It's pretty wild, so something could have broken, too.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 25th 20, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 25 september 2020 om 06:27:46 UTC+2 schreef Mark J.:
One of the major competitors at the World Championships Women's TT had a
nasty crash (but expected to "fully recover").

You can see a clear shot in the first 10 seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzFIQmDJYU [video contains race spoilers]

Somehow I think this will be the most-discussed crash since Beloki in
the 2003 Tour.

Question: It appears the front wheel takes a sharp jolt just before
going into an uncontrolled speed wobble. What was the jolt - or what
was the overall cause? Blowout? Broken spoke? Rim failure? Something else?

Discuss.

Mark J.

It was told here that she had a flat in the front.

Lou
Old September 25th 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 9/24/2020 11:42 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 25 september 2020 om 06:27:46 UTC+2 schreef Mark J.:
One of the major competitors at the World Championships Women's TT had a
nasty crash (but expected to "fully recover").

You can see a clear shot in the first 10 seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzFIQmDJYU [video contains race spoilers]

Somehow I think this will be the most-discussed crash since Beloki in
the 2003 Tour.

Question: It appears the front wheel takes a sharp jolt just before
going into an uncontrolled speed wobble. What was the jolt - or what
was the overall cause? Blowout? Broken spoke? Rim failure? Something else?

Discuss.

Mark J.

It was told here that she had a flat in the front.

Lou

I heard commentators speculate so, seeing the same video we did. Have
you heard this reported from a reliable on-site source?

Partly I ask because, at such a lean in a turn, I would expect a front
blowout to bring the rider down right away rather than just set up a
wobble. Then there's the different behavior of flat clinchers vs flat
sewups, but it's not obvious which she was riding after recent
developments in TT tire usage.

Mark J.
Old September 25th 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/25/2020 12:14 PM, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

I don't know and I have no opinion.
Customer who just watched that here (full screen, HQ, half
speed) says looks to her like a stem/steerer failure in mid
turn.

Local television station in her home town reports surgery to
repair torn quadriceps. Ouch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 25th 20, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 10:14:14 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
I heard commentators speculate so, seeing the same video we did. Have
you heard this reported from a reliable on-site source?

Partly I ask because, at such a lean in a turn, I would expect a front
blowout to bring the rider down right away rather than just set up a
wobble. Then there's the different behavior of flat clinchers vs flat
sewups, but it's not obvious which she was riding after recent
developments in TT tire usage.

A lot of TT bikes are being set up with tubeless tires because they have lower rolling resistance. As I said elsewhere, the sealant only stops small leaks such as goats head thorns or a piece of embedded glass or a wire that doesn't cut the tread of the tire. If it does you get just what that appears to be - a rapid though not instantaneous flat.
Old September 25th 20, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 1:08:55 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 10:14:14 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
I heard commentators speculate so, seeing the same video we did. Have
you heard this reported from a reliable on-site source?

Partly I ask because, at such a lean in a turn, I would expect a front
blowout to bring the rider down right away rather than just set up a
wobble. Then there's the different behavior of flat clinchers vs flat
sewups, but it's not obvious which she was riding after recent
developments in TT tire usage.

A lot of TT bikes are being set up with tubeless tires because they have lower rolling resistance. As I said elsewhere, the sealant only stops small leaks such as goats head thorns or a piece of embedded glass or a wire that doesn't cut the tread of the tire. If it does you get just what that appears to be - a rapid though not instantaneous flat.

I think you're right. The video is not high-rez enough to tell, but it looks like the front tire squirms badly. The tire obviously did not come off the wheel, however.

I saw the rear wheel bounce and thought she may have panicked, but I doubt that a pro would panic so much that she would lose control. I've seen civilians fish-tail and throw on brakes and induce a high-side pitch-over or a bad panic wobble.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 25th 20, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 13:22:03 -0700 (PDT),
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

The most common thought in rbr (now largely on Facebook), is she
overcooked the turn, possibly braked too hard, and tensed up as a
predominant impetus for the shimmy.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 25th 20, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 1:22:07 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It is nearly impossible to lose a tubeless tire off of the rim. It is also damned near impossible to mount many of them now as well.