Cheapest way into racing...

Old February 21st 05, 06:18 AM
PiledHigher

Default Cheapest way into racing...

suzyj Wrote:
Absent husband wrote:

Can be difficult to justify $200 when you've knocked
the kids back on something even cheaper for their own 'hobby'.....

I get the "how many bike clubs do you need to be a member of?
question. It's hard to justify a race licence on top of BNSW
Bikenorth, and Audax membership. Hey, my Audax membership card i
issued by CA, and sorta looks like a race licence. If I hold my thum
over the "rec" bit when I register at races...

Regards,

Suzy

I just paid $150 for one race (not a bike race) makes paying for a C
membership and $10 a race seem cheap.

5 sporting memberships & counting (I'm not naming them as I migh
incriminate myself)

--
PiledHigher

Old February 21st 05, 06:34 AM
adam85

Absent Husband Wrote:
Hi all,

Am slowly building up my confidence to 'launch' my lard-arse into the
BrisVegan racing scene. Went and 'spectatored' (is that a word??) at
the Murrarie Crits, and thinking about having a perv at an upcoming
Lakeside Kermesse event soon as well, and will hopefully build up the
courage to take part in one sometime soon....

Anyway - I googled my way through some of the local club websites, and
was a bit aghast at the cost of membership/licencing... At least a
couple of hundred bucks to join a club and get a 'racing licence' (ie
CQ rego)...

Given that most of my riding is commuting weekdays, plus maybe a
'generic group ride' (ie NOT a club ride) on weekends, I'm not all
that
keen to shell out heaps of my hard-earned to join a club. And with a
"wife-and-two-kids" family life, and can see myself racing only
once-a-month at best...

So - any opinions on the 'cheapest way' to get all my
membership/rego/licence issues worked out??

Thanks,
Absent Husband (who is looking for a crit race with a "lard-arse"
grade...!!)

To join the club is only $20 the expensive bit is the CQ licence most
of which is insurance. I'd say just come out and get a day licence for
$20 and see if you like it. Go in the D grade handicap at lakeside and
just say you're a lard-arse when you register!

At HPRW there are quite a few good events happening this year,
including time trials, road races, a hill climb and century rides. If
you're coming out to Lakeside one day let me know and I'll say hi. I
ride out at an easy pace each saturday (from near the city) if you want
to tag along.

Adam

--
adam85

Old February 21st 05, 07:03 AM
DaveB

PiledHigher wrote:

5 sporting memberships & counting (I'm not naming them as I might
incriminate myself).

What ****s me is all these memberships who claim a main reason for
getting them is the bicycle insurance cover while you train. Bike Vic,
Tri Vic, Cycle clubs. How many different insurance covers do you need?
I'd love to see these groups offer membership with and without insurance
cover.

DaveB
Old February 21st 05, 09:53 AM
aeek

Absent Husband Wrote:

So - any opinions on the 'cheapest way' to get all my
membership/rego/licence issues worked out??

my vets racing licence was $90, so if your (turning)35.
This is AVCC not CA so you could end up wanting both

--
aeek

Old February 21st 05, 11:39 AM
hippy

DaveB wrote:
PiledHigher wrote:
5 sporting memberships & counting (I'm not naming them as I might
incriminate myself).

What ****s me is all these memberships who claim a main reason for
getting them is the bicycle insurance cover while you train. Bike Vic,
Tri Vic, Cycle clubs. How many different insurance covers do you need?
I'd love to see these groups offer membership with and without insurance
cover.

You should check the wording of the policies too. I was going to claim
medical expenses for my collarbone break on the race license insurance
(all riding is training, right?) and I was told that the 'training ride'
has to be one organised by my club.
There was some discussion with a few people and they eventually let me
submit a claim, but you need to be careful.
I didn't end up claiming in the end - the paperwork wasn't worth the
effort! :S
I look at the license situation like this: 'no license = no race' and I
want to race. I buy a license.

hippy
- can do without those 4 slabs during the year anyway..
Old February 21st 05, 09:58 PM
Shabby

DaveB Wrote:

What ****s me is all these memberships who claim a main reason for
getting them is the bicycle insurance cover while you train. Bike Vic,
Tri Vic, Cycle clubs. How many different insurance covers do you need?
I'd love to see these groups offer membership with and withou
insurance
cover.

DaveB

I'd like to see the RACV offer breakdown service without that crapp
magazine... but I digress.

BV get that question all the time (the insurance one). The simpl
answer is that BV insurance would cost heaps more if people who didn'
ride much didn't take it up. Hence, by forcing every family who ride
once a month on a bike path to take it up, their overall membe
accident rate goes down. (ie. if you commute every day and train o
weekends, you're better off).

To me, the race license is a necessary evil, and I chose to sponsor B
becuase their Campaigns department does good work. Any insurance
might actually be able to claim on is a bonus.

Anyone who is complaining about $$$ shouldn't race the Austral ($40 fo
a total of 19 laps of racing for me last year). Hence, I'll invest it i
the centre of the track

--
Shabby

Old February 21st 05, 10:51 PM
MikeyOz

Shabby Wrote:
I'd like to see the RACV offer breakdown service without that crapp
magazine... but I digress.

BV get that question all the time (the insurance one). The simpl
answer is that BV insurance would cost heaps more if people who didn'
ride much didn't take it up. Hence, by forcing every family who ride
once a month on a bike path to take it up, their overall membe
accident rate goes down. (ie. if you commute every day and train o
weekends, you're better off).

To me, the race license is a necessary evil, and I chose to sponsor B
becuase their Campaigns department does good work. Any insurance
might actually be able to claim on is a bonus.

Anyone who is complaining about $$$ shouldn't race the Austral ($40 fo
a total of 19 laps of racing for me last year). Hence, I'll invest it i
the centre of the track.

its called insurance companies getting you where the bike sea
doesn't

and I unfortunately have to agree with the reading the fine print, i
you are out riding by yourself and think you are covered because yo
have Triathlon/Australia/Vic membership or I imagine any of the othe
ones, think again, it has to be a training ride organised by th
club/organisation.

for a small increase in house and contents (possibly none, depending o
the price of your bike) they will happily cover your bike for theft an
damage, which was pleasantly surprising, check with your insurer

plus the insurance is pretty ordinary anyway, we had some one in my ol
sport of inline hockey, make a claim for a broken leg during a game, h
said for the pain and suffering of the paper work and the amount o
money he got, it was hardly worth it

--
MikeyO

Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy bein
active, whenever possible in any form.