Upstate NY Uni race

Old September 16th 05, 02:51 PM
steveyo

Default Upstate NY Uni race

OK -this isn't a big deal, but NYC is only 2 1/2 hours so I figured I
post this.

There's a cyclocross race in Colonie, NY (just west of Albany) Sunday
Oct 23. There's a one-lap uni race w/$5 entry fee at 2:30 PM.

http://www.nycross.com/coloniecross.html

--
steveyo - Last will be first

steveyo

"I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
unknown

"Do whatever steps you want if
you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

Old September 16th 05, 04:13 PM
Chrashing

Hey cool! I promise not to win, but would be fun. I'm going to shoot for
it. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll look forward to seeing ya.

--
Chrashing - Unicycles are flying machines!

Regards,
Ken
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old October 4th 05, 01:00 PM
Chrashing

I noticed bikereg list the unicycle race as 'closed'. I sent a note Eric
there, but have not heard back. Is the unicycle race still on?

'BikeReg_link' (http://www.bikereg.com/races/register.asp?EventID=2637)

--
Chrashing

Old October 5th 05, 03:02 AM
steveyo

I asked about this, and Eric said it's still on, just not "official"
anymore, whatever that means.

He said to bring other unicyclists, so I guess just come on up. BTW, I
bet he'll return your message pretty soon, as he seems like a good guy
that way.

--
steveyo

steveyo

"When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide."- Tom Lehrer

Old October 5th 05, 02:23 PM
Chrashing

Hello Steveyo, Still on. This great news, I still have my sights on
making the race.

Do you think this is a Coker or or 24" Muni track? (I'm planning to
bring both).

Old October 5th 05, 02:50 PM
steveyo

I've heard it's fairly technical, and it's only one lap, so it's short,
too. I'm going to ride my KH29, but I'll probably bring my Torker DX20
just to fool around on and let people try.

Oh yeah, note that the uni race time is now 1:15 PM and NOT 2:30PM!

Oh yeah, one more thing - I'd be totally up for a couple extra laps
after the actual race!

Old October 5th 05, 04:03 PM
lleberg

Since it is cyclocross i asume it's more of a coker/29er track..
http://www.thorusa.com/cyclocross.jpg - they sure are fast..

--
lleberg

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old October 18th 05, 02:11 AM
Chrashing

Next weekend is the race!

What does 'fairly technical' mean? Hills, tight turns, and obstacles?

Only description I've seen is: 'Roughly 2 mile loop with mix of trail,
pavement, grass, one set of man-made barriers, and a wide grassy
finish.' What kind of barriers?

I'm still waffling which uni:

1) Nimbus 24 Muni would be good for hills, grass and dirt. Two miles
would be a long way to try to go fast on a 24". 150mm cranks. I'd be
slow but this is my best bet to ride over most of the terrain.

2) 28" Sun with 150mm cranks. This is good for speed and light weight.
Has possibilities, but haven't been riding it off the street much.

3) Coker, good on pavement, dirt and grass, but anything technical will
throw me. I'd have a hard time mounting on rough ground under
pressure.

Now my thoughts are to bring the 28" Sun and 24" Muni.

Steveyo, The KH29 sounds perfect.

Old October 18th 05, 01:52 PM
steveyo

Chrashing wrote:
[...]

I've never seen the course, but I'd lean toward a fatter tire, eg your
Muni, as it could be muddy.