Home drink/gel recipes??

Old July 11th 05, 07:12 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default Home drink/gel recipes??

Absent Husband wrote:
snip
As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??

snip
Thanks in advance,
Absent Husband

AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
batch. Wanna join the party?

Tam
Old July 11th 05, 08:01 AM
Absent Husband

"AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
batch. Wanna join the party? "

snip

Oh yeah!!

Unless it ends up with me unable to remember what happened, waking up
with a ring of crusty sweet stuff around my mouth, a buzzing sugar
hangover, maltodextrin & raspberry flavouring stains all over me, and a
feeling of being slightly dirty and violated somehow.....

Absent Husband (working toooo hard...)

Old July 11th 05, 11:00 AM
Marty

Absent Husband wrote:
Hi all,

Googled this, but no cigar...

Saw a big bag of maltodextrin in the supermarket last week, and my mind
started wondering: can I save bucketloads of $$$ by making my own
sports-drink/Gu???

I don't tend to drink sports-drink - mainly because I operate on a
tight budget and can't afford it (school fees, uniforms,
blah-de-blah-de-blah). So - does anyone have a recipe (using exact
quantities) to make, say, 1 litre of sports/electrolyte mix using
water, maltodextrin, and whatever??

As for home-made gu/gel... I have been using good ole' jelly snakes,
freebie gu samples, and my fellow riders generosity (thanks Tam!). Is
it worth trying to make my own - or maybe making a strong version of
the above recipe for the 2nd drink bottle on longer rides?? Or just
stick to the snakes if I'm gonna be a skinflint cheapie *******??

Hey - this would be a PERFECT segment for "Tastes of Le Tour"!! My wife
knows when the Tour coverage has started because she can hear me
yelling "Fsck of you Gate *******!!" from the other end of the
house...!!

For the record - I also have three cartons (yes, cartons) of the
Snickers Marathon choc/peanut butter bars that I got for 30 cents EACH
(per bar) when Crazy Clarks were having a sale. Woohoo!! Just gotta do
enough rides between now and next March before they run out of date...

Thanks in advance,
Absent Husband

I've been experimenting with maltodextrin for a while. I mix one cup
(250ml) of maltodextrin to a litre of water, add a tiny bit of citric
acid to give it a sports drink taste.
The amount you mix in looks huge compared to normal sports drinks
because your body is able to absorb much more carbo than sugar. (About
2.5 times more). Too much sugar upsets the osmosis in your tummy and so
the more you drink the less you absorb. Don't take any sugary stuff with
the maltodextrin or you won't absorb much at all. If you want salt then
you should consume those endurotabs or whatever they're called.

Marty
Old July 11th 05, 11:08 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Absent Husband wrote:

"AB and Adrian have a recipe and before each ultra they make a huge
batch. Wanna join the party? "

snip

Oh yeah!!

Unless it ends up with me unable to remember what happened, waking up
with a ring of crusty sweet stuff around my mouth, a buzzing sugar
hangover, maltodextrin & raspberry flavouring stains all over me, and a
feeling of being slightly dirty and violated somehow.....

Absent Husband (working toooo hard...)

Dude, that is so wrong, for so many reasons. I won't tell them you said
that, they thought you were a nice guy.

Tam
Old July 11th 05, 01:37 PM
Absent Husband

*bit concerned*

Hmmm - is this one of those times when I think I'm being really funny,
but I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark?? :S

Must remember not to trust my sense of humour late in the afternoon
when I'm busy...

Abby

Old July 11th 05, 11:05 PM
LotteBum

If it wasn't for the fact that you and I aren't talking, I'd say it wa
f*cking hilarious. But we're not talking.

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Old July 11th 05, 11:36 PM
Tamyka Bell

Absent Husband wrote:

*bit concerned*

Hmmm - is this one of those times when I think I'm being really funny,
but I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark?? :S

Must remember not to trust my sense of humour late in the afternoon
when I'm busy...

Abby

Don't use "sugar" and "violated" in the same sentence :P

Tam
Old July 11th 05, 11:40 PM
Tamyka Bell

LotteBum wrote:

If it wasn't for the fact that you and I aren't talking, I'd say it was
f*cking hilarious. But we're not talking.

LotteBum

Are we back in high school? You can pass messages through me.

Tam
Old July 11th 05, 11:51 PM
Absent Husband

Tam, can you tell Lotte that I'm gonna kick her butt baaaaaad on
Saturday at Murarrie...

This intimidating, silent treatment is working a treat!! Of course, it
could all come undone on Sat when I confront Lotte on the start line...
And she is looking at me, with a weird smile on her face... Stroking
her shotty... And loading a cartridge...

Abby (still trying to get over the 'sausage down a hallway' comment 24
hours later...)

Old July 12th 05, 01:00 AM
LotteBum

Abby wrote

Tam, can you tell Lotte that I'm gonna kick her butt baaaaaad o
Saturday at Murarrie..

We'll see about that

This intimidating, silent treatment is working a treat!! Of course, i
could all come undone on Sat when I confront Lotte on the start line..
And she is looking at me, with a weird smile on her face... Strokin
her shotty... And loading a cartridge..

I'm polishing it as we speak

Abby (still trying to get over the 'sausage down a hallway' comment 2
hours later...

Was it really that bad?

--
LotteBum

Fixed gear on home trainer? Maciek Ostaszewski Techniques 9 December 13th 04 02:35 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard UK 0 November 10th 04 12:33 AM
Best recumbent exercise bikes for the home user who wants to replicate a gym experience? Roger Carlson General 16 November 26th 03 02:48 AM
Eddie B loses home Dave Racing 47 October 31st 03 12:05 AM
Home Improvements - For Bikes!? hippy General 22 August 25th 03 03:02 AM