The hazards of NCN 11

Old January 14th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

Default The hazards of NCN 11

"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

"Mmmmm, lightly oiled, just how I like my derailleurs."
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/chewing.jpg

Mike
Old January 14th 07, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jonathan Schneider

Mike Causer writes:

"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

"Mmmmm, lightly oiled, just how I like my derailleurs."
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/chewing.jpg

Mike

When colleagues complain about the local traffic this morning I enjoy
telling how I had to go round the cows/ponies on the common and it
added as much as ten seconds to my journey.

Jon
Old January 15th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr R@t \(2.30zi\)

Mike Causer wrote:
"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

"Mmmmm, lightly oiled, just how I like my derailleurs."
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/chewing.jpg

where is this? According to the route its supposed to be somewhere in East
Anglia

There were cattle wandering in Old Norwich Road last week (I expect a fence
was brought down by the wind and these bovines took full advantage of this).

I was going to call the emergency services as I was a bit worried the cows
would get onto the main road) but I spoke to some old people I saw looking
at them - they said they had already contacted the farmer and he was coming
back to herd them in to their correct field.

I got the impression from speaking to them that this sort of thing happens
fairly often...

Alex
--
Mr R@T / General Lighting
Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom

Old January 15th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:10:00 +0000, Mr R@t \(2.30zi\) wrote:

Mike Causer wrote:
"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

where is this? According to the route its supposed to be somewhere in East
Anglia

TL 56716964 or 52.30275N 0.29735E The gate that keeps the National
Trust's "semi-wild" ponies in Wicken Fen.
(http://www.wicken.org.uk/wildlife_konig.htm)

There were cattle wandering in Old Norwich Road last week (I expect a fence
was brought down by the wind and these bovines took full advantage of this).

I'm convinced these ponies are going to get out of that gate when
someone leaves it unlatched, they have already worked out how to get past
the cattle grid at the other end of the path.....

Mike
Old January 15th 07, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Mike Causer wrote:
"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

I'm convinced these ponies are going to get out of that gate when
someone leaves it unlatched, they have already worked out how to get past
the cattle grid at the other end of the path.....

That latch did strike me as strange and rather less than I would
expect. One of these days they may work out how to unfasten it.
Old January 16th 07, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Phil Cook
says...

Mike Causer wrote:
"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

I'm convinced these ponies are going to get out of that gate when
someone leaves it unlatched, they have already worked out how to get past
the cattle grid at the other end of the path.....

That latch did strike me as strange and rather less than I would
expect. One of these days they may work out how to unfasten it.

I don't think it would matter - isn't it a kissing gate?
Old January 16th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Rob Morley wrote:

In article , Phil Cook
says...

Mike Causer wrote:
"Hand over all your carrots or you don't go through!"
http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

I'm convinced these ponies are going to get out of that gate when
someone leaves it unlatched, they have already worked out how to get past
the cattle grid at the other end of the path.....

That latch did strike me as strange and rather less than I would
expect. One of these days they may work out how to unfasten it.

I don't think it would matter - isn't it a kissing gate?

Given that it's on a cycle route you should be able to get your steed
through, so I see no problems getting a four-hooved one through too.
Since the ponies are between the gate and the blocking fence it looks
like they will be able to get through. The one on the right should be
able to get through the gap if there aren't any rails between the two
fences.
Old January 16th 07, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:10:00 +0000, Mr R@t \(2.30zi\) wrote:

where is this? According to the route its supposed to be somewhere in East
Anglia

52.30275n 0.29735e or TL 56736965 It's the gate that is supposed to
keep those ponies inside National Trust Wicken Fen. They have already
worked out how to get past the cattle grid at the other end of the path,
and it will only take a careless passer-by to leave the latch loose and
a bit of luck on their part with one tugging at the gate (see how chewed
it is?) and another will slip out.

Mike
Old January 16th 07, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:32:22 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

I don't think it would matter - isn't it a kissing gate?

Yes. There's a better view of the layout he
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/8855/

Given that it's on a cycle route you should be able to get your steed
through, so I see no problems getting a four-hooved one through too.
Since the ponies are between the gate and the blocking fence it looks
like they will be able to get through. The one on the right should be
able to get through the gap if there aren't any rails between the two
fences.

The gate opens towards the one on the right, and if the one in the
centre with its head down tugs at it the one of the left could get
through.

Mike
Old January 16th 07, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Original pic http://www.mikecauser.com/images/blocked.jpg

Yes. There's a better view of the layout he
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/8855/

Given that it's on a cycle route you should be able to get your steed
through, so I see no problems getting a four-hooved one through too.
Since the ponies are between the gate and the blocking fence it looks
like they will be able to get through. The one on the right should be
able to get through the gap if there aren't any rails between the two
fences.

The gate opens towards the one on the right, and if the one in the
centre with its head down tugs at it the one of the left could get
through.

That's what I meant. The one on the LEFT. I am useless at giving
directions.

I think the one in the centre has its rear pointing at the gate....

Give them enough time and I reckon they will eat their way out :-)

not all hazards are on the road Zebee Johnstone Australia 2 July 28th 06 04:20 AM
Hazards of horse manure? [email protected] Techniques 33 November 22nd 05 04:05 AM
Hazards of public holidays harro Australia 1 October 6th 04 06:21 AM
Emergency service hazards Nick Kew UK 11 May 21st 04 02:45 PM
Winter training hazards Scott Hendricks Racing 2 February 10th 04 01:32 PM