"Spending more time with his kids"?

Old February 7th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default "Spending more time with his kids"?

Home The M.O. Archives 2008 February 04 Entry

Lance Armstrong loses his cool (Band of Horses does not)
By Matthew Odam | Monday, February 4, 2008, 01:18 PM

After watching the Super Bowl at an incredible party (thank you, John
and Mandy), I was fortunate enough to grab a ticket (thank you, Sarah)
and a ride (thank you, Blake and Peter) to the sold-out Band of Horses
show at La Zona Rosa. I was not planning to write up the show, but
after a strong performance, and an even more interesting post-show
experience, I felt compelled.

I, like many of my friends, have been underwhelmed by the poor and
inconsistent sound at La Zona Rosa, but last night's show may have
been one of the best shows I have seen there in terms of the sound
design. On the heels of their 2006 debut, 'Everything All the Time,'
received top 10 mentions across the country, Band of Horses released
their second album last year, 'Cease to Begin,' a strong showing but
one that lacks the emotional force and hooks of the debut. The band,
however, leaned heavily on 'Everything All the Time' early Sunday
night, opening with three songs from the first album, before playing
some new tunes and covering J.J. Cale's 'Thirteen Days.' The
overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the set's opening tunes
prompted Horses frontman Ben Bridwell to proclaim that the Austin
audience was the best of their tour.

Although many of the band members have come to play with Bridwell in
just the past year, the band had a chemistry and tightness that belied
their nascent formation. Beyond being astounded that I could hear each
of the (at times) four guitars, as well as the keyboard player -- who
looked like Bridwell plucked him from the Charlie Daniels Band -- I was
most impressed with Bridwell's vocal range. Going into the show I was
curious as to whether his delicate yet powerful melodies would
translate out of the studio to the stage. The answer quite simply was
the realization that the singer from South Carolina has one of the
best voices in the business.

OK, now back to the headline. (Talk about burying the lede. And now,
excuse me, as I go minor-celebrity-reporter on you for a second.)
After the show, people were gathered at the adjacent Backstage Bar,
drinking beers, talking about the show, and catching glimpses of and
brief words with the band. Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance
Armstrong, who had been at the concert with a couple of buddies, took
leave of the bar around 1 a.m. and apparently forgot that it is
illegal to take drinks from the club out to the streets. Backstage
door man Sean Higgins, obviously not concerned with the celebrity of
the person who was breaking the law, quickly ran over to Armstrong and
his pal and rather forcefully made it clear that the guys could not
walk off with drinks. Armstrong at first seemed surprised and briefly
cordial, but that soon gave way to fierce indignation. Having taken
the drinks from Armstrong and friend, Higgins returned to his post at
the door. But, possibly due to being called out in front of a few
dozen people, Armstrong, apparently having taken exception to the
manner in which Higgins was performing his job, would not go quietly
into that good night.

He returned to the door, full of sound and fury. Higgins, who has
worked at the Backstage Bar for four-and-a-half years, made it quite
clear that he had no interest in Armstrong's celebrity or defense of
his actions. Armstrong, not willing to drop the issue, flailingly
tried to retake whatever sense of pride he apparently felt was taken
from him, by berating Higgins while his friends stood at his side.
With a finger that came inches from Higgins' face, Armstrong,
according to Higgins, let loose a series of threats that concluded
with the time-worn threat of "You'll never work at this bar again."
Higgins, who apparently didn't get the memo that nobody puts Lance in
the corner, scoffed at the irate Armstrong, who then left to a series
of under-breath cat calls and one patron labeling Armstrong as
overrated (the cleanest of the insults softly launched his way.)
Bizarre end to an excellent night. I'm sure Higgins is on Career
Builder as I type. (Not really.)

A note of clarification: Although I thought I made the point clear
already, I will say that I think Armstrong's aggravation came from the
way he felt he was treated. It is (and was) his right to express
displeasure, it was the manner in which he did it that drew the
attention.

UPDATE - Lance Armstrong responds

I recently got off the phone with a friendly and apologetic Armstrong,
who called to discuss the events of last night. Armstrong says that he
was mostly shocked by the way in which Higgins originally approached
him, but was contrite in admitting that he was in the wrong for the
way in which he overreacted.

"Listen, I was totally out of line," Armstrong said.

Although Armstrong says he was in the wrong, he felt that the door man
in question could have handled the situation better, as well. "You
know, give us a warning. He walked over and nearly tackled us as if he
had warned us four or five times. He was so aggressive without any
warning. Believe me, man, if somebody says, 'You can not take these
beers out of here,' I'll just throw them away or go back inside. I've
got no problem with that. I wasn't looking for any special rules or
treatment."

Armstrong confessed that despite feeling he wasn't given any warning
before being confronted, he should have responded differently. "I
don't need to do that (respond the way he did), though. Two wrongs
don't make a right."

Comments
Click here to report comment abuse.

By By non-cyclist

February 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Link to this

I totally agree with "Cyclist". Because he is capable of riding a
bike, it makes him so brilliant and smart that the politicians want
him - how original! Oh yeah, and I almost forgot, he is the only
person in the entire world who ever overcame cancer. That makes him
even more a celebrity. Guess I could go on that his wife and kiddies
put up with him through the non-so-famous years, then I guess they
just held him back for his future gigs once he became so incredibly
famous from being able to ride a bike and overcome cancer. See, thats
the explanation for the scene at the bar. He's better.

By Flat Tire

February 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Link to this

It's not the first time and surely not the last time that Lance has
fluffed up his tail feathers and thrown out his chest and acted like a
big spoiled crybaby who didn't get his way?

Lance - We like seeing you in the vacinity of your buddy Matthew. Oh
wait..we just like seeing your buddy Matthew.

Who are you again?

By no thank you

February 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Link to this

lance, you do not impress us. never have. never will.

oh, and thanks for ruining hamilton pool. you're a really cool guy all
around.

By Laws for all of us

February 4, 2008 2:21 PM | Link to this

Maybe - just - maybe justice was served. The guy puts his pants on the
same way as the rest of us do. It maybe time that he (lance) looks
into, "Do I have a Drinking Problem", maybe Amy Winehouse, needs to
get together with him and look into it. Big-shotism, that is what
Lance suffers from. Many have over come difficulties in our lives, we
don't get to go around and belittle others when we are then treated
like the rest of the world.

By Tavo

February 4, 2008 2:22 PM | Link to this

Roid rage?

By sajid sanchez

February 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Link to this

I am not suprised that he pulled his "celebrity card" again. I was a
huge fan of his until we met him and he tried get with my friends
sister, unsuccessful, and started with his "I'm Lance Armstrong
crusade." Cure Cancer Lance and I'll be a fan of yours again.

By Austin hates success

February 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Link to this

The bouncer was trying to get a reaction by the snotty remark about
saying he didn't care how many Tours Lance won right off the bat.
Typical Austin mentality, tear down others to make yourself feel
better. Maybe Lance genuinely forgot that he couldn't take a drink
out? The bouncer, like so many others here, couldn't pass up an
opportunity to insult someone who actually accomplished something
great in their life, while he is just a bouncer. Lance sounds like he
over reacted, but he didn't deserve to be treated that way.

By Genie

February 4, 2008 2:25 PM | Link to this

Is Higgins French?

By Henry Higgins

February 4, 2008 2:29 PM | Link to this

Give us real celebrities

By Werent' you somebody once

February 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Link to this

Lance had a similiar run in with a poor slob that deigned to actually
use part of the road Lance was biking on some years ago. But then,
"Bad Lance" was not well known as he is now so that guy went to jail.

"All fame is fleeting" Lance. You're just one American Tour de France
winnner from oblivion...just like the guy who got shot and then won the
Tour....what was his name?

By Christine Rose

February 4, 2008 2:36 PM | Link to this

"Talk about burying the lede..."

should that be "lead," rather than "lede?"

the Statesman level of copy editing is extraordinarily low and has
worsened significantly in recent months.

By Matthew Odam

February 4, 2008 2:44 PM | Link to this

FYI, folks: I can not approve your comments that have cuss words in
them, regardless of how clever they are.

By thad

February 4, 2008 2:49 PM | Link to this

"lede" is actually correct. It is a journalistic term and is spelled
differently than "lead".

By Sam Armstrong

February 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Link to this

Lead and lede are pretty much interchangeable. But let me tell you
this - if it HAD been a misspelling, I would have TOTALLY lost all
context, gotten confused and probably would have demanded my money
back.

By Jack

February 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Link to this

No Christine. It's lede, look it up.

By Ricky

February 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Link to this

Thats Sad that Lance must act like that. Do you know who I am. Most
people know who Lance is and what he has done, but that should not get
him a free pass. I actually know Sean, who was like a big brother to
me when I was growing up. He is an exellent person and glad to hear he
kept his cool considering Armstrong was acting a fool. Sean could have
easily wrapped Lance up like a handle bar on his 10 speed before Lance
could have even realised that pointing a finger is not very cordial.
Way to go Sean !!!

By Brett

February 4, 2008 2:54 PM | Link to this

Maybe he was just being drunk and obnoxious? Is he not allowed to be
drunk and obnoxious every once in awhile?

By Geezhus

February 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Link to this

C'mon M.O, can't you just add in a few of those f&c#@ng symbols for
us?

By Howdy Dooty

February 4, 2008 2:59 PM | Link to this

To all those blasting the door man. I would like to point out that the
door man was totally in his right to grab those drinks however he
needed to handle it. A person walking out of a TABC licensed bar with
drink in hand can result in high fines for the venue and/or, the venue
getting shut down/losing their permit to sell alcohol. Lance was in
the wrong, and could have gone to jail for public disturbance/drunk in
public. Bottom line, whoever you are, it's not cool to try to make
someone feel lesser than you just because of your status or celebrity.
I would suggest to Lance he grow up.

By bearejay

February 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Link to this

"Lede" is correct. The NYT has a blog called The Lede and gives this
explanation:

In the news business, the opening sentences of a story are referred to
as its "lede" -- spelled that way, journalism lore has it, to avoid
confusion with the lead typesetting that once dominated newspaper
printing presses.

Why so anti-Lance people? I imagine most people have acted like a jerk
after a few drinks at some point in their lives. Most of us have the
advantage of not having it reported in the newspaper. I don't see this
as a good reason to tear him and his accomplishments apart.

By Egos Maniac

February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

I worked the door at a bar on south congress for a few years before
it's recent transformation. i can assure you that if the TABC had been
there, Sean would have lost his job. Period. They don't care who is
involved. Unless Lance is willing to support Sean and pay his bills,
he needs to do what the people who work in these bars ask him to do or
move to Dallas where more people will be impressed with him.

By to austin hates success

February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

"Maybe Lance genuinely forgot that he couldn't take a drink out?"
Seriously? Do you drink? I have never met a person who has genuinely
forgot they can not take alcohol on public streets in Austin, unless
they were wasted. I am sure Lance goes out on a regular basis like the
rest of us. He is just living the dream.

By rach

February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

it's too bad that lance, being a great athelete and cancer surviving
role model that he is, has to represent himself so poorly. he's lived
in austin long enough to know that we don't get star struck or give
star treatment to anyone. that's what makes this town so awesome.
equality, baby.

By Marie

February 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Link to this

Lance you better watch out and remember the bigger they are the harder
they fall. If you think you are so big you better watch out for that
sudden stop!!!

By Mike

February 4, 2008 3:06 PM | Link to this

Maybe he'll get cancer again.

By barfly

February 4, 2008 3:10 PM | Link to this

Lance owns the bar called "Six". unlikely that he doesn't know the
rules.

By Nate

February 4, 2008 3:17 PM | Link to this

I am just guessing here, but I don't think Higgins intended to put
down Armstrong by saying he didn't care about how many Tours he'd won.
I think he was stating requirements under TABC and local law
enforcement. It does not matter if the guy is Rick Perry or Kinky
Friedman. Taking an alcoholic beverage outside of a venue, meaning
open street or totally off the premises, is breaking the law. It could
cost the bar their liquor license or result in a suspension/fine.
Others could be arrested. Higgins was trying to keep himself out of
jail, as well as Lance...open container laws, eh?

By TommyR

February 4, 2008 3:19 PM | Link to this

A good door man/bouncer is discreet, polite, and expert at defusing
situations. A good door man/bouncer plays the situation as your friend
who is doing you a favor. This is unless you want to create a
commotion and lose customers. Seems like Higgins "forcefully made it
clear" otherwise.

By Darren

February 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Link to this

"who like he Bridwell stole him from the Charlie Daniels Band"

this is a grammatical gem...

By Flat Tire

February 4, 2008 3:29 PM | Link to this

THANK YOU for not letting a obnoxious guy get away with breaking the
law just because of his celebrity status. The door man/bouncer was
doing his job.

Now perhaps Lance should do HIS.

HE wants to be this celebrity who's admired and respected.

Then give us something to respect.

By DK

February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

I hear a lot of people complain about the sound at La Zona Rosa. It
really is a black and white concert venue. If you are to the right
side of the pillars, the sound is consistently exceptional. It's only
when you are to the left of the pillars that the sound quality
dramatically drops. My guess is that most of the people who say they
don't like the sound are standing off to that left side.

By Debbie

February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

Life is short.Treat others as you want to be treated.I just want to
say"Thanks to Lance for all his fund raising for people with cancer. I
count myself lucky to be here too.

By frenchkiss

February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

The real stupper is the writer of the article. The isn't news or even
interesting commentary. But no news is no news. Lance did good and we
are jealous. I considering deleting this page.

fK

By frenchkiss

February 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Link to this

The real stupper is the writer of the article. The isn't news or even
interesting commentary. But no news is no news. Lance did good and we
are jealous. I'm considering deleting this page.

fK

By Natalie

February 4, 2008 3:47 PM | Link to this

I commend Lance on all of his accomplishments... But for those of you
who are saying " When your drunk, everyone has a right to forget that
you can't take drinks out of a bar" Where are you from, New Orleans?
You can not take drinks out of a bar in Austin and even when I have
been very intoxicated I did not forget that. Remember Lance, It's not
football season and you are not tailgating! And winning the tour de
france and beating cancer does not get you out of jail and it
certainly does not allow you to be disrespectful to local Austinites.

By elvislives

February 4, 2008 3:51 PM | Link to this

Frenchkiss, seriously? This a not-newsworthy article yet it inspired a
comment from you?

Allow me to take the time to let you know that I will no longer take
the time. Furthermore, I will make an outlandish comment calling for
the deletion an internet page. You know, because I am the page editor
of the internets and this is just another example of tube clogging,
not-newsworthy journalism.

Just enjoy the read or move on. The show rocked, sound quality much
better at LZR than purported by others and a local celeb made a fool
of himself. That's newsworthy to me.

By Lawrence

February 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Link to this

How shockingly irresponsible to report on second-hand "hearsay"
reports about a non-story from unreliable sources. Go back to
reporting for People magazine.

Fortunately, losers like me who take the time to post comments have
little affect on the world, and the majority of comments on this
complete non-story shows only that losers who post on the Internet
generally have nothing better to do than artificially elevate
themselves by condescendingly, self-righteously, and wholly-
anonymously telling a celebrity how to live their lives. Has anyone
here ever been confronted by a jacka$$ bouncer? Is it POSSIBLE that
Lance took umbridge to the way in which the bouncer took the drink,
not the mere fact that he took it? And even if Lance was a jerk, I
wonder how any of these posters would look if they had their lives
recorded under a microscope. Yes, he should have shrugged it off, but
even taking this report at face value is no big deal. Really a non-
story.

By JustWondering

February 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Link to this

Lawrence:

Lance, is that you? Didn't anonymously bumping yourself go out with
MacKay's blunder?

By Vance Vader

February 4, 2008 4:17 PM | Link to this

Lance,

No one gives a crap WHO you are.

And oh yeah, don't drink and ride your bike.

By Roger Clemens

February 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Link to this

Why you guys giving Lance such a hard time? Sometimes after I eat a
bunch of HEB beef and then get a needle of vitamin B I GO CRAZY!!!!
Like in a total rage. That stuff just happens.

By telluride

February 4, 2008 4:49 PM | Link to this

I remember when 6th Street clubs used to give you cups to pour your
beer into and take with you. Times have changed. Regardless, agreed
the bouncer made a snoddy remark, but Lance overreacted.

By lancealot

February 4, 2008 4:55 PM | Link to this

FrenchKISS you rock. DELETE!

SLaL

By robert tillotson

February 4, 2008 4:59 PM | Link to this

I too was there and witnessed it..this was not that big of a
deal....people walk around with beers all of the time..look at some of
the homeless people...that bar gets people loaded on yeager shots every
night, do not make this a big deal folks. By the way, this was one of
the better shows in a long while...download them soon, you will be
happy, great road tripping music! You do not bust Willie for pot and
you do not bust Lance for a cold beer! Find a better cause to report
folks!

By FBA

February 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Link to this

Vote french kiss for membership into vegan entourage.

I walk out of bars with my drink all the time; what's the big deal, I
paid for it, it's mine.

So Lance got upset... he was drinking. Lance gives back to our community
more than most and Lance is not over-rated (unlike Wayne Gretzky).

Lance negativity is envy coupled with cheater pumpkin eater. You can't
cheat on a bike race you can only cheat on taxes, your wife and
presidential elections.

By clarity

February 4, 2008 5:45 PM | Link to this

FYI, Lance had nothing to do with the pollution at Hamilton Pool,
that's related to upstream (poorly done) development. He was involved
in the Dead Man's Hole debacle, which has since been cleaned up (at
his expense).

By Jim

February 4, 2008 7:02 PM | Link to this

Just another reason we should not name bikeways or schools after
living persons. Memo to council--can we get a new name for the
bikeway.

By Donald

February 4, 2008 7:04 PM | Link to this

Using words from New York City in Austin? Oh my, oh my!!! If Lance was
in NYC no one would ever have heard of this and the dumb bouncer
probably wouldn´t have known enough to reference the 7 TdF wins. Lance
should get to a decent sized town quickly and it´ll be Austin´s lose!

By David

February 4, 2008 7:24 PM | Link to this

Lance you are from Texas. Nobody should have to tell you that it is
illegal to leave leave the bar with drink in hand. The fact that you
felt you could is evidence enough. How many times have any of you been
at a bar and thought you could leave with a drink? There is no doubt
you have accomplished great things Lance. But this is a p*ick move!

By bevo not

February 4, 2008 7:54 PM | Link to this

The guy represents the typical me-first, me-important mentality of
most people with a little money, a little fame. It's certainly not the
first time it's been seen. That's why it's so disgusting to see people
worship his being as much as they do.

By MC

February 4, 2008 8:00 PM | Link to this

You have to give Armstrong a lot of credit for owning up to his
overreaction. He could've sent his reps to spin it like the bouncer
was a total jerk, but he didn't. To me, he comes off as a totally
imperfect standup guy,

By otromundo

February 4, 2008 8:18 PM | Link to this

I'm with TommyR who said "A good door man/bouncer plays the situation
as your friend who is doing you a favor." Instead too many play out
their little power trip fantasies. Lance responded the same way many
of us respond to obnoxious people, at a bar or otherwise. The
difference is precisely because of Lance's celebrity he's milked the
next day for someone's low-rent gossip column. Elevate.

By Mammo

February 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Link to this

I probably would have gotten upset, too. I've come across too many
bouncers on a power trip to think this is just a case of a celebrity
throwing a sanctimonious fit. Sounds like both of them needed to get
over themselves.

By By: Jeff

February 4, 2008 8:25 PM | Link to this

I have know Sean for a long time. He is like a brother to me. I think
Lance was out of line. Lance acts like this is the first time he's
ever been to Austin or that he's never been in the downtown night
scene. Lance, you're supposed to be a role model but you're not
setting a good example for others. You know the rules and should abide
by them like every one else has to. I also don't think you should have
gone back making threats. You should have just left. Grow up, Lance. I
applaude you, Sean. You did the right thing. Keep it up brother.

By E. M.

February 4, 2008 8:31 PM | Link to this

Of course Armstrong blames it on Higgins. I highly doubt Higgins was
forceful in merely telling him no alcohol outside the bar. Typical
Lance he thinks he's above it all. I have to wonder if you were asked
to insert your last paragraph. Make no mistake about it - Armstrong is
only sorry he was seen as being the egomaniac and narcissist he is.
He's sorry but it was Higgins' fault that he acted that way. You may
have money and fame Lance Armstrong but you're a joke and money won't
buy you any class. Dan Coyle (Armstrong's War) and David Walsh (From
Lance to Landis) had your number a loooong time ago.

By La Raza

February 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Link to this

Hey everybody!! Get a life!!

By word on the street

February 4, 2008 8:44 PM | Link to this

there sure are a lot of stories about lance throwing spoiled hissy
fits in public. makes one wonder why? if he was a really nice guy,
wouldn't there be more stories about that?

By Betsy

February 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Link to this

one word: LOSER

By dbag

February 4, 2008 8:54 PM | Link to this

everyone living in Austin has a "Lance is a dirt bag who hit on my
daughter-sister-girlfriend-mom" story. Dude needs to grow up.

I thought he was "Spending more time with his kids"?

By JGM

February 4, 2008 8:59 PM | Link to this

I was at a silent benefit auction recently, and a signed jersey of
Lance's was up for bid. The auction lasted 4 hours, and his jersey
garnered a total of 0 bids. On the other hand a day at a local spa
went for 1,000 bucks. I myself got a nice signed Kevin Durant ball for
$500. Point of story. NO ONE CARES ABOUT LANCE. HE IS SO OVER.

By jlm

February 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Link to this

Guys with real celebrity and power never really have to use it.
Threatening a door man doing his job is pretty low class and shows a
huge level of insecurity.

Lance, man, you were the MAN! Now be a big man and stop leaving
bruises on your adoring public.

Get a grip on your potential and live up to it, ddude, cause you are
breaking a whole lot of hearts.

Take stock of your life and live it like the champion you were on a
bike. Hey, Lance, you are now off the bike, so it is time to get it
together and make the next couple of acts in your life --- world class.

Go apologize to that door man and show the world that you really still
area champion.

By Dave

February 4, 2008 9:11 PM | Link to this

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle. Both parties were at
fault and neither was a good role model for their trade that night.

By MCH

February 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Link to this

So I open my mail box and I get this months Texas Monthly. I look at
the cover and there is his Lanceness with the words "The Future" in
big florescent red block letters..... you can't blame the guy for being
a little conceited.

By richard

February 4, 2008 10:27 PM | Link to this

Lance and his little ego is bigger than his cycling in France. I don't
care for Lance and his cause. I don't support him in any way and I did
vote against his cancer bill. Lance go home we do not need you as much
as you think.

By rafa

February 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Link to this

Yo what's up with all the Lance bashing? First of all the guy admitted
he was also wrong, and if he weren't a celebrity we wouldn't even know
about this story. It sounds like the door guy was fronting too, which
hardly bodes well for the club. Second of all, and most importantly,
Lance Armstrong has done alot of good for alot of people. He's given,
and continues to give more than most, and he doesn't have to. And
frankly there are many people who give nothing-perhaps some of you
reading this comment, or whom have written previously. You don't need
money to offer your services either. So please take it easy on the
guy, and chill. Lest you look foolish yourselves

By Michael

February 5, 2008 7:36 AM | Link to this

Sorry Lance, No BYE on this one. You know the Rules, Everyone old
enough to drink has probably tried and been warned about taking drinks
outside the door. IF at your age, you've still not received that
warning a few dozen times, then you've truly lived a charmed life.

By Helen

February 5, 2008 9:08 AM | Link to this

Great report -- and it got picked up on frontburner, Dallas' best-read
blog -- but why the italicized postscript? Did Lance get mad at you,
too? Tell, tell.

By Matthew Rampage

February 5, 2008 9:34 AM | Link to this

Lance is on the radio with Dudley abd Bob right now spilling his side
of the beans.

By Ames Tiedeman

February 5, 2008 9:37 AM | Link to this

Look, these things happen. All will be forgotten. This is just a bit
of life. This is just a bit of Austin, Texas! Lance is a great hero. I
am not going to pass judgement on him or Higgins. Higgins obviously
does his job well. Life would be too boring if everyone was perfect
100% of the time. Be good, Ames F. Tiedeman

By AGuyinAustin

February 5, 2008 10:28 AM | Link to this

I think it's so very easy to tear down when one doesn't know all the
facts and forgets that people are people, regardless of celebrity,
income, or accomplishments. To read the comments above - the majority
simply vicious and catty - does not reflect the Austin I know and
love.

I've been there, done that in similar situations and am thankful that,
like most of you, I'm not being villified the following morning or
having to write a public apology. Regardless of what you think of this
incident, my take is Lance is a solid representative of Austin and
even more importantly the cancer community. Oh, and he manned up about
this afterwards, too.

By Edward

February 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Link to this

Manning up would be apologizing to the door guy, not the guy that
happened to report it.

By Mimi

February 5, 2008 12:05 PM | Link to this

I have a close friend who works in the sports media... in deference to
her professionalism, I won't identify her or her national broadcast
network. She's experienced a couple run ins with Armstrong and heard
about other incidents, where he tries to blatantly "use' his celebrity
to his personal advantage. She personally discovered he can be a very
unpleasant person when he's out of the spotlight and drinking.

At other times, he's just your run of the mill SOB with an overblown
sense of entitlement.

By marcus

February 5, 2008 2:41 PM | Link to this

Note to self: do not read #%$@*&!!

By flasky

February 5, 2008 7:51 PM | Link to this

Wow. On my four (to date) visits to Austin, I had been fooled into
thinking it was an oasis of rational thought. Thanks for dispelling
that notion. You're just as petty and ignorant as the rest of Texas.
I'd like to see some of you ride 20 miles, not to mention 2000-plus
over three weeks. Go do something significant so you can move out of
your parents' basements. Oh- and the sound at LZR DOES suck.

By Seerbeer

February 5, 2008 10:41 PM | Link to this

At One in the morning, it's the booze talking. The old ego-protective
mechanisms work overtime. Social inhibitions are down. In the morning,
that's when the self-disgust kicks in and requires an amends. If it
happens regularly, the answer can be found within the walls of AA
meetings. If it's only an occasional blunder, it only deserves
forgetting by all concerned. Blessings All

By lulu

February 5, 2008 11:22 PM | Link to this

lance licking is gross. he's bad a*s in his field: cycling. parenting,
public behavior, social responsiblility, drug awareness.....who knows?
he clearly struts expecting a free pass because "we" gave him the
lance love. that he thinks he can be a politician is/was insane until
we elected "W". now give him a break. yes, the door man is tabc
"golden". la zona should give him a raise. they'd be sued big-time if
lance crashed his cycling frame. but door guy probably was an a*s, and
so was lance. let's call it a draw of entitlement. wake up call to all
narcissists!

By Mister Me

February 6, 2008 5:14 PM | Link to this

Wow! There's a lot of Lance haters out there. I came to this site to
check out a Band of Horses show review and ended up wading through a
lot of stupid crap. Do we really care if Lance Armstrong tried to walk
out of a club with a drink? I mean that stupid "event" got more
attention then the real show. Band of Horses rocked! Oh, and Flasky,
if you think that by making four trips to Austin and reading a blog
you can generalize Austin as being "petty and ignorant" then you, my
friend, are an idiot. Please don't come back!
Old February 7th 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 6, 9:53*pm, wrote:
[...]

You need help. Serious psychological help. Its not healthy to obsess
over someone for so long. I wish you the best in making something
more of your pathetic life, sitting around in your boxers in your
mother's basement, ragging on Lance.

Best wishes in your recovery.

Fred
Old February 7th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 6, 11:02�pm, wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:53�pm, wrote:

[...]

**** you Fred

I know my garbageman's name.
I'm nice to kids and old people.
I don't hit on every or any blond (I'm still married)

Lance was a fun teammate, but a real loser as a person.
Old February 7th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 6, 10:13Â*pm, wrote:
On Feb 6, 11:02�pm, wrote:

You need help. �Serious psychological help. �Its not healthy to obsess
over someone for so long. �I wish you the best in making something
more of your pathetic life, sitting around in your boxers in your
mother's basement, ragging on Lance.

Best wishes in your recovery.

Fred

**** you Fred

Â*I know my garbageman's name.
I'm nice to kids and old people.
I don't hit on every or any blond (I'm still married)

Lance was a fun teammate, but a real loser as a person.

Still, whatever beefs you have with him will not be solved by your
incessant ragging on him on this forum. It just makes you look
pathetic.

Kids' "race" [email protected] General 0 July 28th 07 08:45 PM
Tom Stienstra: "Gridlock in wild areas: Time for new policies" Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 129 December 19th 06 09:08 PM
Tom Stienstra: "Gridlock in wild areas: Time for new policies" Mike Vandeman Social Issues 119 December 19th 06 09:08 PM
Muni "warm-up" routine(s) and best time of day to ride. terrybigwheel Unicycling 10 May 23rd 06 04:25 AM
"Challenges In One's Time Of Life Are Extraordinary" on 4-14-84 [email protected] Australia 0 January 4th 05 03:04 PM