Cracked nut

Old May 11th 05, 03:22 PM
soup

Default Cracked nut

I am pretty much a know-nothing when it comes to bike mechanics can
change wheels and adjust brakes/derailleurs but that is about it,
noticed a crack today on a nut on my steerer (?) is this the sort of job
you could tackle yourself (although not experienced with bike mechanics
I am not handless) or do I let the LBS replace it? All advice welcome,
if this is a non-event type job and I should tackle it myself could
someone give me a step by step account of how to change it or a link to
a page where this is discussed.
Pic of crack/nut etc at :-

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup86307461862.JPG

--
yours S

Old May 11th 05, 04:09 PM
soup

soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
I am pretty much a know-nothing when it comes to bike mechanics can
change wheels and adjust brakes/derailleurs but that is about it,
noticed a crack today on a nut on my steerer (?) is this the sort of
job you could tackle yourself (although not experienced with bike
mechanics I am not handless) or do I let the LBS replace it? All
advice welcome, if this is a non-event type job and I should tackle
it myself could someone give me a step by step account of how to
change it or a link to a page where this is discussed.
Pic of crack/nut etc at :-

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup86307461862.JPG

Wish I wasn't in a such a hurry to post all the time the allen bolt
running through it just needed a wee bit gentle persuasion (involving a
hammer and a block of wood), this meant the entire handlebar assembly
can be removed and the locking (?) nut at the top of the headset can be
removed now to go to the LBS to see if they stock a replacement for this
nut :-
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup87404839307.JPG
is this a "common" spare part as I feel buying an entire head set just
to replace this part is beyond the pale.

--
yours S

Old May 11th 05, 04:29 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:22:51 GMT, "soup"
wrote:

I am pretty much a know-nothing when it comes to bike mechanics can
change wheels and adjust brakes/derailleurs but that is about it,
noticed a crack today on a nut on my steerer (?) is this the sort of job
you could tackle yourself (although not experienced with bike mechanics
I am not handless) or do I let the LBS replace it? All advice welcome,
if this is a non-event type job and I should tackle it myself could
someone give me a step by step account of how to change it or a link to
a page where this is discussed.
Pic of crack/nut etc at :-

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup86307461862.JPG

Read this first:

http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

(That's basically background about stems in general, but it's worth
reading since it explains how the stem mounting works.)

The job is easy. Mark the current installed depth of the stem using
some tape or nail polish or whatever you've got that will work.
Loosen the bolt in the middle of the stem a couple of turns (it's the
one that has the hex recess, right in the top of the vertical part of
the stem) and give it a smack straight down with a hammer or wrench;
this should make the stem and handlebars suddenly able to move without
turning the fork[1]. Pull the handlebar and stem assembly out of the
steerer tube. If the wire for the computer isn't long enough to allow
this, just undo the comp's bracket for now, letting it dangle, and put
it back on when you're done.

At this point, you can just unscrew the cracked nut and take it along
to the bike ship to get a replacement. If they're nice people, they
might scrounge one from the used parts pile and sell it to you cheap;
if they don't keep a used parts pile (or they're Profit Maximization
Oriented) they may tell you that the only way they can sell you one is
as part of a complete headset; it's up to you to decide if that's a
ripoff or not.

Having secured a new nut by whatever means, it just gets run down
against the stuff that's below it and tightened firmly in place. Huge
amounts of torque are not required. If everything's OK, there should
be no play in the steering bearing but you should be able to move the
fork freely with essentially no resistance. (A slight feeling of
non-smoothness is normal; these are generally not high-precision
bearings.) If there's drag, undo the nut a turn and unscrew the round
knurled part (below the nut) until there's no drag and just a teensy
bit of play, and then retighten the nut and check for play. Readjust
as needed so that when the nut is tight, there is neither slack nor
drag in the bearing.

If there's play in the headset bearing when the nut's tight (and there
probably will be until you adjust it, if that nut's been cracked for
very long), you'll need to screw that knurled round part (it's
actually part of the upper bearing) down a bit to take the slack out
of the bearing before tightening the nut. It is not uncommon to need
to leave just a tiny bit of slack in the bearing before you tighten
the nut in order to have no slack and no drag when the nut is tight.
Once you're happy with the adjustment of the headset with the nut back
on tight, slip the stem back into the steerer to the same depth that
it was before (you marked it, right?), snug the stem bolt a bit, check
the centering of the bars vs the front wheel, and when it looks right,
tighten the bolt to lock the bars in place. Recheck it after the
first couple of rides if you're not sure that you got it tight enough.

[1] If the bolt drops down flush when struck, but the stem is still
pretty much locked in place, unscrew the bolt a few more turns and
smack it again. That should get the stem loose.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 11th 05, 05:06 PM
soup

Werehatrack popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said
wrote:

[...]

Thanks V-much Werehatrack first part of your post was what I did now to
see if "Freewheelin'" in Edinburgh are nice people or profit maximise
orientated if they are charging the earth there is allways EBC who might
have a spare nut.

Aside :- Does anyone have any recomendations for 'bike shops in
Edinburgh preferably in the west but anywhere really.

--
yours S

Old May 11th 05, 05:17 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...

Wish I wasn't in a such a hurry to post all the time the allen bolt
running through it just needed a wee bit gentle persuasion (involving a
hammer and a block of wood), this meant the entire handlebar assembly
can be removed and the locking (?) nut at the top of the headset can be
removed now to go to the LBS to see if they stock a replacement for this
nut :-
http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup87404839307.JPG
is this a "common" spare part as I feel buying an entire head set just
to replace this part is beyond the pale.

Just replace the top nut. As long as you have the appropriate size wrench, it
is not a big deal. I doubt the bike is worth spending any monye on it. Coca
Cola is know for their beverges, not their bikes.
------------
Alex

Old May 11th 05, 05:24 PM
Bill Sornson

soup wrote:

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup86307461862.JPG

Coke can head tube?

Old May 11th 05, 05:56 PM
soup

Bill Sornson popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on

Coke can head tube?

Nah a walking (?) advert for CC, actually had wheel discs at the back
emblazoned with the CC logo and coloured red and white ,this bike was
actually a competition win and appears to be made of (V-heavy) cheese
and as such don't want to spend much money on it at all.

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup415049140.JPG
--
yours S

Old May 11th 05, 06:21 PM
Bill Sornson

soup wrote:
Bill Sornson popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on

Coke can head tube?

Nah a walking (?) advert for CC, actually had wheel discs at the back
emblazoned with the CC logo and coloured red and white ,this bike was
actually a competition win and appears to be made of (V-heavy) cheese
and as such don't want to spend much money on it at all.

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup415049140.JPG

Holy crap that's a death trap!

Happy Riding

Old May 11th 05, 06:23 PM
soup

Bill Sornson popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
and said

Holy crap that's a death trap!

Happy Riding

Thanks for your good wishes.

--
yours S

Old May 13th 05, 03:38 AM
A Muzi

soup wrote:

I am pretty much a know-nothing when it comes to bike mechanics can
change wheels and adjust brakes/derailleurs but that is about it,
noticed a crack today on a nut on my steerer (?) is this the sort of job
you could tackle yourself (although not experienced with bike mechanics
I am not handless) or do I let the LBS replace it? All advice welcome,
if this is a non-event type job and I should tackle it myself could
someone give me a step by step account of how to change it or a link to
a page where this is discussed.
Pic of crack/nut etc at :-

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup86307461862.JPG

That's a trivially simple thing if you have suitable tools.
Get a new locknut at your LBS. They'll range $2 to $10
depending on quality, finish and brand - any BSC locknut
will fit.

Remove the stem, unscrew broken nut, lubricate thread,
fasten new nut. Reinstall your stem with lubricated threads
and wedge, then check the bearing adjustment.

Apply the front brake with one hand and rock the bike front
to back. With your other hand, grasp the headset so your
fingers are touching both the adjustable race (the knurled
part) and the cup (smooth black part) just below it. If
there's play, unscrew the locknut, turn the adjusting race
tighter and repeat. Once there's no play, lift the bike by
holding the top tube just behind the headset and turn the
handlebars/fork slowly side to side. There should be no more
resistance than when it was loose

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Cracked Marin frame - again James Shugg UK 8 November 24th 04 07:08 PM
Cracked Trek frame and warranty question Kevin General 3 November 30th 03 04:35 PM
titanium frame cracked Ric UK 5 November 5th 03 09:11 PM
weld a cracked frame? dangerous? salvage? BVM Techniques 8 October 23rd 03 04:20 AM
How I cracked my helmet Rick Warner General 2 July 12th 03 11:26 AM